Sequential discontinuing the Prophet 12 Desktop

Damn this thread. I’ve had the P12 in and out of my shopping cart more times than I care to mention today.

2 Likes

I find deep diving a little tricky on the P12. It’s not a synth that rewards random knob tweaking, but rather carefully planned out patch programming. Definitely a steep learning curve! I am however getting the hang of making nice ‘basic’ sounds on it. Current favourite trick is the ‘Random’ mod source. Gives subtle spice to any mod destination.

One more little demo before I stop spamming this thread :wink:

8 Likes

hate to say, but I’ll be taking delivery of a P12 desktop this week. got a decent deal at Thomann for a b stock unit, and will be sadly parting with my Polyend Tracker and Digitone to make room (physically and financially) for it. very excited to explore this instrument.

3 Likes

The Digitone is like a frail little bard in comparison. You won’t regret it.

3 Likes

Good imagery there

1 Like

Haha, just waiting for a bunch of Digitoners to come after me now, hayforks and torches and stuff :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I guess the upside is you’re pretty likely to be able to buy a DN or Tracker in the future. The P12 on the other hand might become pretty rare. It is currently being slept on by all the Youtube synth reviewers, yet there are so many big name artists who are using it.

Let us know what range your serial is. I’m not sure if there are even more than 2000 P12 desktops out in the wild.

Fend them off with a 48 oscillator detuned saw wave with max drive and overdrive you’ll be fine

6 Likes

my unit that was a demo is 1064. no idea when it was made, but you’re probably right about the low production number.

Sometimes I just sit for hours noodling with LFOs and repeating envelopes… i don’t need a modular rig

Serial 1124

6 Likes

Is it a stereo input? (probs not) Interesting to hear what it sounds like.

It looks the part too. Damn handsome right there on the desk.

8 Likes

Keep an eye on that plant… it’s growing irregularly fast.

9 Likes

It’s been played good music. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

“Feed me [music], CircuitGhost!”

3 Likes

Ha! If I didn’t have these kids to chase, I would have been sharpening my pitchfork this weekend! I love my Digitone, and I’m trying to not be in the gear trading business for 2021. Conversely, you know how much I value your opinion, so I’m feeling quite torn at the moment. Maybe I’ll put together a little pros/cons list comparing the Prophet 12 module with my current similar synths (Digitone & possibly even the recent addition A4). Of course, on-paper comparisons never capture the full story of a synth. Crap, except I’m now reading the spec list on the Sequential site… sssssssss

3 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it. The Twelve is a piece of crap synth. I’ve been leading you on all this time.

4 Likes

Does this mean a polyphonic Pro 3 is coming? :smiley:

3 Likes

having the a4 mk1 and now the p12, they feel very different to me. they’re both capable of a wide range of sounds and lend themselves to some deep sound design. i tend to use the a4 as a standalone box because of the elektron sequencer, but many people probably don’t. a4 can do polyphonic stuff but at the expense of being able to use other tracks/voices, whereas the p12 has way more flexibility there. i probably won’t part with either. they are complimentary.