Sequential Pro 3

Diggin these, thanks.

Nice video. Great to see people really play the thing.

What does annoy me a bit is that thereā€™s not a single woman in there. Itā€™s 2020 dammit!

9 Likes

This is good advice. Currently blowing up my laptop. :+1:t3:

1 Like

I couldnā€™t help but notice that the envelope response changed after Peter stopped playing and let the sequencer take over at the 1:00 mark. This is typical of DSI sequencers. And you know itā€™s going to be buggy because, wellā€¦ Itā€™s DSI.

But Iā€™m sure it will, at very least, be half-fixed before itā€™s discontinued. :wink:

Cheers!

4 Likes

The sequencer can sequence the envelopes. Itā€™s entirely possible that the sequenced envelopes were different from the preset. I donā€™t disagree that DSIā€™s biggest weaknesses are solid software and finishing things (let alone before they ship!) but I donā€™t think this is an indication of a bug in itself, at all.

4 Likes

Looks like some new demos.

8 Likes

Hmmm. Must remember this. Iā€™m definitely gonna wait till June before buying it. The Rev2 had me out of pocket and without it for months before I scrapped it. But several months and os updates later, got another ani itā€™s golden.

BUT. Big but, I never had a single issue with the OB-6 or P6. EVER.
Party on Dave, party on Tom.

3 Likes

I wonder if the sequencer can run external gear, even if itā€™s just monophonic? Like Elektronā€™s newly updated analog machines? Canā€™t find any info that it does, which to me implies that it canā€™t.

1 Like

This was posted on GS. 4x16 note sequences or 1x64:

3 Likes

My guess is it can as the pro 2 let you do midi and CV note sequences aswell as sequencer itself at the same time. Sounds like the tracks might be set up different on the pro 3 though. Gonna have to wait and look through the manual.

3 Likes

I would like to go on record and say that I do love the sound and overall design of DSI synths.

However, aside from the more straight-forward keyboards theyā€™ve released over the years (Mopho, P6, OB6, etc.), their more complicated instruments (from Pro2 to the Tempest) have all been buggy and ultimately abandoned before ever fully coming to fruition. Hell, Dave practically prides himself on his staunch never-looking-back attitude. And the company in general has been dismissive, flippant, and at times downright condescending about the state of their instruments, particularly when faced with what would be considered fair and otherwise deserved criticism; never mind the public backlash that followed the Tempest debacle. Even the Mopho had sync issuesā€¦ Just saying.

Great synths otherwise. I mean, seriously, if modulation is your thing, DSI is the way to go. But be warnedā€¦ This synth is guaranteed to have problems, and itā€™ll be a miracle if they stand behind it long enough to work them all out. Itā€™s all just ā€œexpected behaviourā€, right? :wink:

Cheers!

1 Like

From looking on the dsi website sounds like you might get 16 layers of 4x16 or 1x64 or at least that is what Iā€™m hoping for. From sequential site ā€œ16 tracks and 4 linkable 16-step phrasesā€ still isnā€™t entirely clear what is going on though.

I love the design. Looks perfect in that sense. Very logical and easy to read layout.

1 Like

Yeah, I think youā€™re right. The 4x16 vs 1x64 is for if you want to control individual notes for each oscillator I think.

Iā€™d recommend to anyone who wants the Pro3 to keep an eye on the Sequential form. I wish I had before I jumped in on the Rev2.

I hope they have finally overcome their shortsightedness of the Pro2-Tempest-Rev2 debacles. Given how the Rev2 has become this amazing thing, maybe the Pro3 will have a head start in stability. And it shall be mine.

3 Likes

Ahhhā€¦ all this bug talk is scaring meā€¦

Wait for people to talk on GS and DSI forums then

1 Like

Dave Smith in this one

2 Likes

Cosmetically, the SE looks much better than I originally thought in this context. Quite handsome actually.