Sequential Pro 3

All sorts of sounds. There isn’t just one or two things I use it for. It just has a core tone to it that I connect with. But liking the sound of one synth over another is an entirely subjective thing. I think many of us are just looking for synths that we can connect with, at least I am. “There has been many a synth I have enjoyed, but to love, only a few.” ~HoldMyBeer

4 Likes

incoming;

1 Like

I am tempted by this synth, but for £250 more I could get a new OB6 module.

4 Likes

This. I got the ob6 module last year, and it’s become an irreplaceable part of my life. I really like the look and sound of the pro 3, but I’m all set for substantial financial outlays, unless money was no object…then it’d be top of my list for a work horse mono. I think the se in particular looks pretty sharp.

2 Likes

yea, the only thing keeping this out of my hands is my bank account

What is lost in thickness and polyphony is gained in modulation and sequencing. Ya gotta pick your poison.

6 Likes

True. Compared to the OB6 & Prophet 6, the Pro 3 is a modulation and sequencing powerhouse.

2 Likes

Its a Hybrid so the compromise is you get a jack of all trades but a master of none.

2 Likes

Dominion 1 is an incredible sounding synth. It would be very tough to let it go but I’m actually considering it to fund the pro 3 as the dominion lacks midi control over its knobs and no syncable LFO’s. But the sound of dominion is very special. The filter is beautiful.
So I’m going to thoroughly test the pro 3 before I make a decision. In the end they are musical tools and the dominion lacks some of the functions I would like at this point in time. So if the pro 3 can match it in sound (even though it will be very different of course), I might switch.

6 Likes

@DaveMech - Thanks for the feedback. I’m going to keep my eyes open for a Dominion 1. Strangely, it almost seems easier to order direct from Thomann despite them being in Germany (I’m in the US). The Pro 3 is also interesting, and I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with it. For me, I’m not sure if the lack of MIDI implementation is a big deal for me, as I’m not a MIDI superuser. I’d probably just send it sequences from an Octatrack (for example) while twisting knobs and enjoying the sounds. Cheers.

1 Like

Yeah dominion is really inviting to keep twisting knobs and move from sound to sound. It’s super versatile and playable.

3 Likes

I’ll give another listen. I loved testing the Macbeth Elements for that fluidity.

Maybe master of crazy routings? haha but yeah I think the VCOs have a pure analog signal path, with a side patch for the digital effects. All the modulation and stuff is digital I think though.

If anyone knows and can confirm:

The website says the Pro 3 has a FATAR keyboard.

Is this the TP/9S used by most DSI/Sequential synths? (And many others)

I’m assuming it is, just want to make sure.

yeah Virus TI uses FATAR as do a lot of others

When Nick asked Dave Smith about filter routing posibilitis, his answer was it is just simple filter, no parallel ,serial routings of two filters or whatever, and that’s because they like to keep things simple (!), other ways things go to crazy … etc.

I find his answer strange, i don’t know why is he saying that about the synth whose selling point is modulation matrix and lot of functionality ?

2 Likes

Yeah with due respect to Dave Smith he did seem dismissive about the filter routing and other possibilities maybe something something twilight years.
Would have been cool to have routings like the Virus TI

1 Like

I thought maybe he was referring to the design of it. On a synth like this with so much modulation and sequencing options, the internals for routing 3 different filters in series and parallel would be fairly complex. Not to mention the physical controls they’d have to add for 3 different filters. That’s how I took it, but I could be wrong.

Also, the video was probably recorded after the info on the Pro 3 had leaked, and the main backlash on the internet has been about only being able to use one filter at a time, so Dave was probably feeling he needed to make a statement about that. Just a guess.

5 Likes

I don’t know how much different internals have to be to achieve two filters in parallel or series, but physical control could be two - three switches different then is now.
I don’t think that would take anything away from this already great synth, it would just be more expensive to produce.
Pro 2 had it, right ? I mean, it doesn’t matter, it looks like fun little synth.

I think a big part of it is that the gain staging is more complex(maybe too complex), between paraphonic modes and 2 serial/parallel filters on the Pro 2… so a big part of getting it to sound good is to properly drive the filters with out pushing them too far. I know a lot of people blamed the oscillators for why they bounced off the Pro 2 initially but I think it might have actually had more to do with the effort it took to get the proper levels on the oscillators for all the various settings. If you just run one filter it certainly is easier when it comes to gain staging. I would prefer having the option for serial and parallel though. Pro 3 will likely have bigger sweet spots because of the single filter design.

2 Likes

The synth internet at large sees a synth with 3 different (really nice) filters and, instead of being excited, complains that it’s too bad they aren’t all available at once. Sheesh.

I’ve played with a dual filter synth before and found it too unwieldy and cumbersome. The sound results were a mixed bag. Sometimes interesting, but mostly just a mess. Granted, that was back when I was a super noob, so maybe I don’t know anything. At least, according to my near-3-year-old, that is true.

9 Likes