Sequential resumes Prophet-5

Having attempted to use more complex synths, I feel the P5 is a better fit for me than Pro 3 with its 173 mod matrix destinations and over 90 sources, the P12 which is still advertised as a modular polysynth, etc.

P6 on theory should deliver the majority of P5 tones with the addition of FX, sequencer and arp. It’s still a fine synth imo.

P5 has the extra filter options and VCOs using specific chips

2 Likes

Hah! There are the usual jokers there but as far as the site goes, trolling on the thread is minimal and it’s mostly positive vibes.

Ha. I’m going to have to use that one. Repro is pretty amazing for what it is.

I think they managed to balance things out nicely between the 5/10/6. Doesn’t instantly put the 6 in the back seat. More of a sidecar. Plus you can get one cheaper now with everyone jonesing on the new old school.

1 Like

I think that, if you are only looking at a features list, then yeah, the P5 can seem overpriced. But to only look at a features list, you overlooking the sound and legacy of the P5. And the same could be said for the Minimoog reissue, or a Les Paul 57 Reissue.

There are different ways to get, or approximate these sounds. But if you want the real thing, it is now available. You get it for half the price of a used P5, with a warranty included, and no maintenance or stability issues. And where Dave went further, is the 2 different filters with the vintage knob. So it is like owning multiple Rev’s of the P5. In essence, this is a P5 time machine.

1 Like

I like the fact you can switch between Rev1,2,3,4 with a flick of a button.

2 Likes

Yeah the switching filters is very cool, I hope the trend continues its so nice to be able to have a choice like that

The other cool thing with the switching filter is:

"The rev switch not only changes filter type, but also the Filter Envelope’s shape/
response to match the original Prophet Rev 1/2 and Rev 3 respectively. "

2 Likes

Both I suppose. It’s obvious that we don’t need it. People like John Carpenter need it.
It’s such a reality check for me personally… P5, it’s all I need. P6, it’s everything I need. Rev.2, now we’re just getting stupid. First world problems.

1 Like

Today’s another day and today I’m thinking, if all I had was a damn fine board that didn’t do much but sounded great, I’d be a happy gent. Maybe even happier.

When I sit down and play the piano, I feel at my absolute best. I can get lost in that for hours. Maybe this experience would be the equivalent and the reason why I think Moog One is just wrong.

1 Like

when I got the OB6, this is what happened to me. I wasn’t used to it. couldn’t stop playing it. my wrists hurt for days.

you’re not wrong. or at least not alone. I knew when I heard the OB6 (even via youtube), I had to have it. with the One, at one point I was actively trying to want it. I just don’t. can’t even force it. it’s great on paper but when I hear it I feel nothing.

2 Likes

I was in exact that camp. Well put, my friend. I was like, a poly Moog with outstanding fx, sequencer and tri-timbral? How could one want for anything else?

I kept playing it, never liking it, and at one point, the dealer even had one on stupid sale - like 20% off, for some reason I can’t remember now. Essentially, almost cheaper than potential resell value (tho still expensive). I wasn’t even tempted.

That’s not to say the Moog One isn’t great for those who click with it. It’s just a testimonial to how when you get this feature-laden instrument you’ve cooked up in your dreams, you realise this wasn’t even remotely what you really wanted.

I feel the same about Maschine+. For a long time, I was like if the perfect box came around, I’d be good after that. Maschine+ is on paper the perfect box for me. But I don’t want it. I don’t like it. I love that people seem to attach to it really well. But it’s not, and never was, for me.

1 Like

IMO there is much nostalgia, as with the Jupiter 8, or the Oberheims back then. They are kind of synth Stradivarius of their time and their sound is incredible.

The options are not as complex and manyfold as provided by some “modern” synths. But it would be a shame not to re-issue these legendary instruments, because they are worth to be played by new generations of musicians and not to be hidden away by rich collectors or displayed in show cases in a museum.

3 Likes

So I’m not alone … didn’t expect this … it seemed everybody was hyped.

My short analysis was that having not already three Moogs in the studio, it would make some sense, but did I need my Moogs go polyphonic? Answer was: not really, because for the polyphonic tasks I have already something to bath the Mood sound :wink:

Synth Stradavarius. Love it.

1 Like

Random thoughts in response to recent posts:

My friend who let me try his Moog Matriarch also took a look at One and other polysynths at this year’s NAMM. He has a Memorymoog that he bought in his college years and recently repaired and upgraded with more efficient power supply, replacement LED lights of various colors, etc. First time I tried it, I thought “Meh, overrated Moog”. After he went to Europe to pick up the booteek power supply, make the pilgrimage to the home of the legendary Rudy of the Moog world, etc. then came back and did the various repairs and I tried it again, I was impressed with the dramatic change in sound. It sounded crappy before because it was in a partially broken state. So i was shocked, like not at all, when he tried One at NAMM and found it lacking - his fixed up/pimped up Memorymoog just sounds so much better.

I listened to Inhalt’s epic OB-6 vs P-6 comparison video and found I preferred the P-6 sounds. I was sure I was going to love the OB-6 more because while I don’t care to listen to Jump anymore because of the played out jokes, I’m still a fan of the Obie tones on the early Prince albums, The Time (which of course is mostly Prince on record), etc.

Reason I want a P5 desktop is I don’t have any analog polysynth right now. I’ve got my little Korg Volca Keys paraphonic and that’s it. Based on my personal history, an analog poly that just sounds good when you turn it on, not much sound design work needed, would be an ideal fit for me.

2 Likes

Somebody testing beta-testing a pre-production unit with sequence/arp MIDI from Ableton.

1 Like

I am sure you’ve looked at them but I think the Black Corp synths are pretty decent competition for this if you’re looking for desktop units, they all seems to have that it just sounds good vibe in a desktop synth with patch saving. My buddy has the Deckards which is pretty incredible sounding… although I think the P5 is a more useful general synth than the CS-80, I always forget how much of an odd ball the CS-80 is as far as synth controls go.

3 Likes

Yeah, I thought the Deckard’s was cool.

Fitting that both CS-80 and P10 were used in iconic scifi movie soundtracks

1 Like

Got a great price so placed my order. May not get it until early next year, though with the wait list at its current point.

there’s already a wait list?