Sequential resumes Prophet-5

A very long one. The list started the minute it was announced.

I see it available for pre-order all over. no mention of this being a long wait though.

I don’t think there’s a wait list either. Spoke to a few dealers and they didn’t say anyone has pre-ordered beyond their incoming stock. Still undecided. Is it Gas or just a great buy all round.

1 Like

I mean, that’s a preorder :wink:

1 Like

mNostalgia and desire to own a classic made while Dave is still around. A rev4 is a solid fully fledged P5. A fullstop to a historically important synth. It will do what it does best, nothing more, nothing less. Owner satisfaction…high.

P6 in my book it is a great ‘studio’ keyboard with more possibility, but that physically limited key range! I will never understand the thinking behind it for a P5 successor (its called a Prophet 6 afterall).

The P5 just seems to me like Daves affectionate letter of love of love to his offspring.

3 Likes

I tried the P6 in person and I liked it. I would have gone for the module over the keyboard though, because I’m trying to avoid having too many keyboards in the house.

For the same reason I’m waiting for the P5 desktop.

The P5 announcement took my mind off of P6. P6 has FX, sequencer and arp, none of which are in P5. OTOH, P5 has more filter options. Let the people decide which is more important.

3 Likes

I do think fx, sequencer and arp in the P6 are nice additions, but as far as fx, sequencer and arps go, they’re basic. The four filters in the P5 I’m guessing are not, and totally unique. I can find arps, fx and sequencers to go with a P5. I can’t find the P5 filters anywhere else, though.

If comparing them as to which instrument offers the most defining features for a classic Prophet, it seems the P5 wins.

2 Likes

US Reverb shops are saying shipping Oct 14-18

1 Like

Just for clarity, the P5 has two filters, not four. There are the two selectable filters, one that covers the Rev 1 & 2, and one that covers the Rev 3. It also has the vintage knob that affects things like tuning and envelopes. It is labeled 1-4, with 4 being the tightest, and 1 being the loosest/most unstable.

3 Likes

Well that’s good news, I had heard they were starting to ship this week, at least ship out from Sequential to the retailers. I just need to find me a shop that got me one yesterday, so that it’s already here and set up ready to play. Looks like that didn’t happen yet though.

2 Likes

Let’s not forget the P6 more importantly has an extra voice, sub osc and two more polymod destinations. That said the P5 sounds exquisite as does the P6. They’re just different synths I could easily justify owning both.

Cause they’re awesome, or because sonically they’re actually that different? Or just because, period? :slight_smile:

Because they’re awesome and sonically different. You can get them both to sound similar in a static state, but as soon as you start moving the filters around you’ll start hearing the difference. The P6 sounds brighter.

1 Like

I just love the idea that two such classic polys still retain a character of their own, even when they’re in the same family :heart:

1 Like

Sequential has a comparison chart and I do remember reading that in the chart.

I’d also say the high pass filter is not to be overlooked with the P6.
Seems vanilla on paper / when first using it but it’s such a wonderful synthesis tool.

6 Likes

I agree, the high pass and res plus env control etc is crucial to sound shaping in P6. Looking at it as ‘just’ a HP to cut lows is a mistake.

Someone who works for Sequential mentioned on Gearslutz that it was possible to put the vintage knob settings on the P6 and OB6.

2 Likes

More MIDI CC testing, this time by ExperimentalSynth

4 Likes

Firmware update or secret menu ?