Sequential resumes Prophet-5

Now, if they made a synth with a switch so you could choose a Prophet filter or an OB filter… that would be the one poly to rule them all IMO

I would still need the OB-6/SEM oscillators. There is some magic in there as well.

1 Like

I would also like to hear a comparison now with P6 vintage mode. I was reading on another forum, about a guy who had played the P5 prototype, and it didn’t sound like a P5 to him until they put in the Vintage mode. Granted, even without the vintage mode, it sounds great, but they definitely did something special with the vintage mode.

Just as an add-on to this thought. I wish they would do a Pro-3, but with SEM oscillators. Those beefy oscillators with those 3 filters would be great. Call it the OB-3.

1 Like

I’m guessing we’ll be waiting a while for the one to rule them all polysynth, if the USPTO application for the OB-X means anything more than just stopping B from using the same logo. Going ahead with putting a new generation of OB-X back in production I am guessing would take priority over some sort of combined synth.

On the Musicplayer forum when they did the deep dive review of P10, this one guy was commenting like, “if only Sequential would add another LFO, and another routing option and…” I don’t think he was getting the concept of recreating a classic design, or why demand for such a recreation exists. Same guy is now demanding an OB-X remake include everything that was in the Matrix 12/Xpander. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I sure hope they do the OB-X. I would love one. I had a bad experience with an early P-5 production unit, well two actually, and maybe it turned out for the best. I love both the Prophet and Oberheim sounds, but I do lean more towards the Oberheims. So the P5 not working out for me may have been a sign that the OB-X was right around the corner. Either way I am glad they are doing what they are doing. One of the coolest things about the P5 was the control panel. Such big knobs, spread out nicely. It has a wow factor when using it. It is nice to play an instrument that just sounds great, and can smoothly dial in all types of sounds. It doesn’t need a million modulation options. It is a classic car.

4 Likes

agreed. the fact that it’s difficult to decide on “just one” from their lineup says a lot. and it sounds like there’s more coming…

I have a Polysix and a 106 and this is exactly how I feel playing them. there’s not a TON you can get lost in, and it’s like 90% sweet spot. difficult to make them sound bad.

CONGRATS! :partying_face:

1 Like

I’d be interested to compare P6 pan spread vs something like a prophet 5 with a dimension D or any subtle widener and see witch one I prefer.

no sure who wins for me. in the context of a song, I bet I would generally prefer a widener that keeps bass on the center, treble on the sides

i’dd add that pan spread is nowhere near real stereo signal path.
sure it is killer to widen anything that involves triggering oscillators at the same time (unison, fix chords), but if that is not the case you quickly start to hear distracting random panning effects, so this must be used sparingly.

as I am writing this I am starting to think that if the prophet 10 could be set up as a prophet 5 with full stereo signal path that would be killer :stuck_out_tongue:

How would this work? Prophet 10 has a mono output. Well, the headphone output is stereo, according to the site. I think it’s only “stereo” so that you hear something in both ears when you use headphones - I doubt you can do any panning or anything like that.

1 Like

no you are right. it is just a dream :grin:

If you want to dream big you could try the other person’s idea of buying both a P10 and a P10 desktop. Polychain one to the other for 20-voice polyphony, and each P10 has its own audio out, thus giving you stereo.

1 Like

Very true, I really only like it for big chords, and even then not usually turned all the way up. It can be cool on arps through a delay though too. I just think it’s a cool option to have

Also true! That would be amazing… I’ve been eying all the stereo options nowadays in eurorack and thinking, maybe process the Prophet through a happy nerding MMM (dual ladder filter) for example…

this sound

and that

wow these sounds are killing me. pretty sure the triangle wave involved, these would be hard to reproduce on the P6… I think :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thread’s a bit older, but I was wondering whether anyone has pulled the trigger or changed their mind on the Prophet 5 / 10 by now – especially in the light of the 1.5 firmware features which sound quite interesting for the Prophet 10.

I love that phrase of the “piano synth” used somewhere above. Adding to the Prophet 6 vs 10 debate, for me the 10 so wins in haptics and its somewhat piano leaning keyboard (for a synth).

what is this firmware update you’re talking about?

This was all I could find:
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php?topic=4873.0

Prophet5 Main 1.5.0:

Main 1.5.0
Feature: New 3rd row of Globals, accessed by holding BANK SELECT and pressing GLOBALS. When the 3rd row of Globals is selected, both Globals LEDs are lit.

• 3rd row slot #1: turns 5 voice limit mode on/off (affects Prophet 10 only)
  • 3rd row slot #2: selects between P5 style or Round Robin voice allocation modes
    Feature: New Poly Unison mode. Hold UNISON and select “PU2” using the Inc/Dec buttons. Each note is allocated two voices.

When I look at the above list, I don’t feel super motivated to go buy a Prophet 10 right this minute. But I could imagine some existing Prophet 10 owners being happy, but only those who have used theirs enough to really, really want that new Poly Unison mode or whatever

2 Likes

That’s cool that they added round robin voice allocation.

2 Likes

Most shops are taking preorders on the P5 and P10 modules, looks like they’re just a few weeks away. $2499 and $3299 in the US.

FYI: I’ve had multiple midi issues for a month now with a P5. it literally just stops receiving midi. reset the midi settings. power on/off. reset ALL settings… nothing fixes it. I’m slowly narrowing it down with Sequential support but there’s something there.

I swapped in the exact same midi cables, channels and settings as used with a rev2 and ob6 within the same setup. totally different buggy behavior with the P5. no idea what’s up in their midi code but they missed something.

3 Likes

They should try and get a hold of the guy who created midi.

17 Likes

He’s probably hanging out with those rude three stereo outs, don’t you think?

2 Likes