Sequential resumes Prophet-5

I’ve just listened to that full P-5 presets demo… :scream::heart_eyes:

Might have just swayed me.

1 Like

This is tough! I saw a Prophet 5 for the first time a few weeks ago and was suprised how big it is compared to today´s Sequential synths. The price is heavy but I guess that 20 years from now we will look back and wonder why we didn´t buy one when they were THAT CHEAP.

4 Likes

I’d take P6 or P5 over Moog One, for pretty much the same reason. Sequential wins here on more straightforward design and less unnecessary extras.

5 Likes

Not on my radar - but man am I glad Dave did this.

8 Likes

Needless to say it’s way too rich for my blood but its existence and even just watching the launch video have made my day. There’s definitely some deliberate references there to the nature of authenticity and craftsmanship that feel like a gentle and noble response to the current Behringer clone fever. I love Dave so much and think he is an utter treasure of a human.

6 Likes

Yeah, I totally get you - huge Oberheim fan here too and still I haven’t got any (brother has got the matrix 6R, though)!

They for sure used the P5 as well but Tom’s go to synth apparently was the OBX-a, at least at the time of ITG. I’m such a fan of TT that I still consider the production on that album among the best for synth pop albums of the 80s. Managed to have a bit of inside talk with Phil Thornalley about the production and mixing of that album quite recently - hence my knowledge of the OB.

Anyway, very sorry for the OT, will stop from my part now. This P5 will surely be fantastic!

1 Like

Thanks for that :slight_smile:

No - I asked a Sequential guy on GS and he said the envelopes are not analog because the part (CCM 3310) is not available anymore, but that they spent a ton of time modeling the behavior and are happy with it.

1 Like

Correct me if im wrong folks. But the Prophet 5 is the one one to go for simply because the Prophets here CANNOT layer 2 sounds. So having those extra voices on the Prophet 10 is a bit overkill if you cant use them.

I see a Prophet~10 in my future :drooling_face:
Hopefully it won’t be a short run, and I’ll get it when the hype is over (if that’s possible).
Honestly, totally happy with my P6 and will never sell it, but there’s always been something missing; probably that era studio processing :thinking:
@sabana I don’t know how many times I’ve played something on my Rev.2 16 voice, then tried it on the P6 with only 6 voice and one less octave. That REALLY grinds me sometimes.
So happy there’s no sequencer or effects!

I was at a party a couple of years ago in which we compared two Prophet 5 emulators - the P6 and Arturia virtual P5. I thought it was neat that the preset numbers and names matched but I didn’t know at the time that both were just reproducing the 40 factory presets in the original.

Anyway, as we did the preset to preset comparisons I was struck by how familiar each sound was. Granted it would have been even better to have a vintage P5 in the house for even more thorough comparison, but anyway I recognized so many of the sound from 80s hits in general.

2 Likes

Color me a synthesizer simpleton but why pay $3500 for this bad boy when the Prophet 6 and rev2 cost pennies by comparison?

1 Like

Prophet 6 is $2800 so not sure that’s comparatively pennies?

3 Likes

I was being hyperbolic and also it was good alliteration

1 Like

I’m pleased that he’s finally made a new P5. It probably is my favourite synth and all, but £3500 or thereabouts is a luxury I can no longer justify or afford. I realise that I only truly want one because it’s aesthetically beautiful.

1 Like

Because people from that generation now have the means to pay for their childhood/teenage dreams?

3 Likes

10 voices would definetly be better if you are a keyboardist : less voice stealing on sustained/releasing notes, richer chords available…

4 Likes

I have no shame at all in admitting this.

2 Likes

Depends on where you see a Prophet fitting in your setup.

I would find a P5 (desktop) + Matriarch combo more useful for what I want to do than a P10. Whereas another person would rather have the P10. It’s all good.

1 Like

Don’t know if it is more funny or depressing when you know before hearing a new synth demo that the first sound will be opening up the filter of a lush pad. It’s become such a cliche. Haha

3 Likes