Sequential resumes Prophet-5

I don’t know the P5 but the OB6, for me, has really a special raw sound. Init patch with release to taste, a touch of vintage knob or a lot, Unison or not, this sounds so good!

10% off everything in store for the week between Christmas and New Year, doesn’t sound like much but on items at $5,500, it’s pretty sweet.

Totally agreed.

1 Like

oh cool, I hadn’t heard of that…

$550 off retail price seems a no brainer. If i lived in the US i would bite your hand off for that deal.

2 Likes

I got the same deal around BF on a Prophet 10 module. It ended up costing $3046.00 including shipping and no tax. It was 10% off plus “points.”

I still haven’t written about my best friend here because I’m still getting to know it despite the original Prophet V being my first synth.

The last firmware update is utter aces! I already needed ten keys for polychords and the like, but splits and stacks expand the palette considerably. I hadn’t missed stereo outs until that happened!

1 Like

Nice, this is and isn’t helping me, haha.
Yeah its plus points to on this deal also.
So, so tempted !

1 Like

Yeah pretty tempting for sure. It’s seems like a no brainer, just the getting rid of an OB-6 part that doesn’t.

1 Like

I know thats a tough one. Pity you cant keep both.

2 Likes

btw which store is this from?

yeah I bought the P5 while already owning a Rev2 and OB6, with the intention of seeing if I’d need to keep the Rev2. took almost a year, but I recently got rid of the Rev2 (traded for a vintage Pro One, lol; gotta keep it Sequential!). I basically always went for the same type of patches between Rev2 and P5, but would spend more time setting up the subtle modulations in the Rev2 that kind of just happen with the P5. so kind of like you’re saying, the lack of tons of deep modulation doesn’t bother me; in fact I love the simplicity/immediacy of it.

100% agreed. for expensive items like this for me, it’s either used or find a holiday coupon. takes the sting off a good bit.

yeah part of the trick is finding a store that allows it on Sequential… Perfect Circuit has 10% off coupon now but not on Sequential. when I did it last winter, it was via Big City Music (who isn’t running one right now). who also don’t charge taxes outside CA, btw…

1 Like

Yup before I went into that room at the music shop, I was so sure OB6 would come out the clear winner and P5 would be tied with P6. I thought Moog One would be in the middle of the pack.

I was honestly surprised.

Oh this is from Moog Audio in Montreal, Canada.

1 Like

Which was the winner for you ?
The Moog One just doesn’t do it for me, no matter what the price tag is.

2 Likes

here ya go

2 Likes

agreed. I was actually in a place in 2020 where I was trying to find convincing demos of the One. I had sold a bunch of gear and was like “this is likely the only time I can ever afford this thing, let’s see if I can make it work…” but try as I might, found nothing that made me wanna pull the trigger.

3 Likes

Before that day, I wondered if the peeps who were saying Memorymoog sounded better were just trying to be cool in that negative, edgy way.

I had previously tried my friend’s Memorymoog before the One. First time, it sounded like junk but that was because it was badly in need of repair. After my friend completed his Memorymoog makeover (upgraded power supply, replacement keys, circuit repairs, new LEDs of different colors for bling, etc.) I got the hype.

I’m not a vintage fetishist at all, but One did not sound as good as my friend’s Memorymoog to me. Sometime in 2023 I’ll buy my own P5/P5 and try to set up side by side comparison with his Memorymoog. Not to see which is better but just have some fun.

2 Likes

Nice, yeah I actually have a MemoryMoog and it sure does sound insanely huge and fat.
Personally I’ve never played any synth quite like it.
At one time I considered selling it to fund a Moog one when it first released, but I’d yet to hear something good enough to convince me to do so, that’s still very much the case.
Gave up even considering it and I’d very gladly keep the MemoryMoog over the One.
Definitely like to play it next to a P10, like you say, just for fun. Guaranteed it would be !

2 Likes

I now officially regret getting the module instead of the keyboard version. At the time of purchase, I could’ve almost maybe kind of if I did this and that, afford the keyboard version instead of the module. Now, not a chance, so it’s not like I’m gonna do anything about it.

But since they keep these in stock at the local dealer’s, I’ve played the keyboard version on and off every visit, and I keep coming back to it. There’s just something about it … I don’t know … that makes me believe why it’s such a unique instrument. The module is certainly that in its own right, but the design and layout itself, is like any modern Sequential.

Whereas the Prophet 5 keyboard … I don’t know, maybe this is just the perfect storm of getting just about every goddam detail right on everything, and thus deliver that kind of experience.

3 Likes