Sequential resumes Prophet-5

I can totally understand that! I always feel like I’m getting half an instrument (slight exaggeration) if I’m getting a module, which I nearly always have to do due to space issues. Sure there are synths with crappy keybeds where you’re better off with a master keyboard and the module but Sequential has great keybeds so I’d much rather have the full P6 and not the module, for example. Might sound like a very small detail and doesn’t necessarily make a difference technically… I suppose what I’m trying to say it’s an aesthetic thing which can be (in my case, is) important as well. For example, the P5 with the wood panel is just amazing!

3 Likes

Yes, it’s an incredibly beautiful instrument. But the way it’s shaped as far as a layout and flow is concerned, it’s also just brilliant for an organic and non-stop workflow.

It’s like the perfect combo of features, where to put them and how you operate them, and the spacing in between as well.

2 Likes

If I had the funds (and space) for a P5, I could only seriously consider the keyboard model. I don’t feel that about any other synth. The P6, for example, I could easily consider getting the module but there is something undeniably special aesthetically about the P5. Sadly, unless I move to a bigger space, I just can’t squeeze it in without losing half of what I already have.

2 Likes

do you still have that extra deluxe controller? does it not bridge the gap between the full p5 and module? that controller is still on my list if i ever have the space, money, and skills to justify it.

1 Like

Yep, I have it, and it’s a great way to play the Prophet 5 (not to mention the Prophet 12, where I’d say it’s superior to the keyboard version of the 12).

But this comes down to the unique design of the Prophet 5 and how I just get the feeling, they got everything right here, down to every single spacing and placing of the buttons. The keyboard version in itself is just a superior playing interface as well, compared to the module and an external controller. I feel now, the two don’t even compare.

That’s me, though, and I’m a keyboard and piano player and also have a tendency to enjoy less features. So I don’t think this is a generally true statement, it just happens to resonate so well with how I want to experience an instrument.

Completely agree with @Fuseball on the Prophet 6, if I got the P6 I’d have no problem going for the module version, the Prophet 6 is a great keyboard instrument but it doesn’t have that human interaction magic that very few boards have.

But with the Prophet 5 keyboard, I feel closer to the piano experience than ever, which is where I’m coming from to begin with, so I guess it appeals to that side of me.

2 Likes

Agree with this. I sold my p5 keyboard cause I wanted to save space and thought I’d get the p10 desktop. I tried one in store and it wasn’t the same at all.

There really is a magic that’s hard to describe from the actual keyboard version. It’s a really special instrument, and I’d do what I could to get one if I were you, given your preferences and passion for all this!

3 Likes

agreed. but for me it’s also that: 1) it’s absolutely beautiful, and 2) it’s such an iconic and legendary synth, if I’m going to own it, it’s going to be in its original format. I would say the same about the Minimoog.

3 Likes

Not sure if you’re helping or not @ddiamond84 and @chiasticon but somehow I feel really good about your posts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can really see someone keeping the prophet 10 for life. Passing it down to their kids! It’s the pinnacle! I loved having the p5 by my p12 desktop. Get yourself a p10 and oto bim (which I also had and it’s wonderful.)

3 Likes

Oh man, you’re really ticking all my boxes now. I’m in the market for a delay to match my CXM 1978. And eyeing the Prophet 5. Dear, dear lord.

1 Like

You know, I’m realising, if I sell the Prophet 5 module and the Deluge, I’m pretty close to a Prophet 5 keyboard, actually. I think it would look pretty great next to my piano. Line up my Chase Bliss stuff along those and let it all connect into the blackbox, and I’m set.

4 Likes

Can I select 2 separate midi channels to sequence Prophet 10 in split mode as normal bi-timbral synth or it just keyboard level voice split? Such midi routing not covered in OS 2.0 Addendum, so it looks impossible, is anybody tried to use it this way?

You address it on the same midi channel just via the assigned split point.

Thanks, for response. Not best implementation, but ok, i think I can live with it)
Honestly I will prefer full multi timbrality, and its interesting to know is it possible on hardware level.

Anyway, its time to find best way to order voice card)

I’d love to hear your experiences with editor/librarian software (stand-alone, plug-in, Max for Live) for the Prophet 5/10. I tried Sound Tower demo, but didn’t find it convincing (blurry UI, only one tag per sound, no user ratings…).
MIDI Quest is pretty expensive if you don’t own several hardware synths. Is there anything else out there?

I’ve got sound tower but haven’t installed it yet, hadn’t heard of midi quest, but will def look into it

MJ fan yessir

2 Likes