Sequential resumes Prophet-5

I want to get the desktop P5 and make a video sequencing it with M8 Tracker, just to irritate the grumps on the other forum - the one where half the membership thinks anything that’s not a grand piano, clonewheel, or B3 + Leslie sucks.

1 Like

I already paid for my polybrute… this will come next year. Just the 5. Rev 2 might have to go.

And no pan spread :rofl: I can’t wait to read the fury of that guy who bought it then couldn’t find the Right Output socket :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: yep, a mono poly in 2020
But I’m totally okay with that, so happy using the H9 and Ventris for stereo image in preference to pan spread.

1 Like

My stable also includes an H9. I’ll probably plug the R output of the Zoia on my pedalboard into the H9 to get 2 or more channels of audio out of a mono-output synth. Zoia’s L output is of course going to guitar amp, with some more devices in between. For recording, I’d probably just run guitar amp line out into recording device - not really picky about speaker simulation, but I do love the amp spring reverb.

Zoia is the only stereo device on my pedalboard. I managed to download a preset into it once that didn’t work well without both outputs engaged, because totally different sounds were going to L and R outputs.

Might rethink the FX chain further if I go for the MTX8 Pin Matrix

Personally, I’d liquidate everything and grump out with a grand piano the rest of my life, but neighbors.

1 Like

After watching the video I must say I’ve converted to the church of the Prophet 5

1 Like

According to wikipedia, the original prices were $3,995 (Rev 1, 2), and $4,595 (Rev 3). It’s nice that Dave can now offer the Rev 4 at a discount.

4 Likes

Is this battery powered? If so, how many AAs does it take?

5 Likes

Do whatever you want but I’m even more motivated now to get an M8 Tracker

Another thing I want to do is record at least one harsh noise track with P5.

What’s another thing those old dudes hate… oh yeah, I gotta dial up some kind of piano patch and play the fuck out of pitch bend with it - they really hate that.

Oh, and a t echno or acid house of course, but that might be already covered by the M8 Tracker thing. Probably not to the quality standards of this forum, and hard to beat a 303 for acid, but even bad acid house/techno w/ a P5 enough to make those other guys mad.

1 Like

Hah. I realised, even if I ever could afford this, I’d have no space for it. ’Tis a beast in all ways. I love it even more for that.

1 Like

I’m just happy to know this exists. :slight_smile:

So with you on that one.

I do think, however, that if I ever had a shred of common sense as far as features compared to pricing and options go, this is where that common sense would surface.

I’m sure there’s a voice to this instrument that can’t be found anywhere else, including in the Prophet 6. But I’m sure I never missed the purity of this Prophet 5 either way. I can appreciate all the soft values around this instrument, but at some point, the actual breakdown of what it does has to matter, as well.

And when the delta between features and price are this big, compared not in the least to some of Sequential’s own gear, reason kicks in.

Don’t recall when that happened last. Probably won’t happen again. And probably won’t last once I’ve touched the keys on this thing.

EDIT: Reason lost. As we all knew it would.

6 Likes

I’ve had that reaction to Sequential for years: gear that has to-die-for sound within its sonic range, but which is impractical (for me) given price-to-features, price-to-sonic-range, and space issues. I re-visit their stuff about every 6 months, and leave things sitting in my cart at 3-4 vendors, but have never gone and owned anything from them. If they make a Tempest II—and Roger Linn says he’s currently working on “an expressive drum machine”—I’ll prepay for that without hesitation.

1 Like

Your making a case or working with a laptop instead. Most hardware doesn’t make sense in todays age of VST’s.

Yup. I’ve thought of splurging and just having one blatantly self-indulgent keyboard. Hardware makes it over the line of practicality with me if it has enough onboard controls so that it’s not just a player in a way that a VST can’t be, but outshines other comparable hardware. That’s why I’m happy with the Super 6 and, in another category, Pulsar-23.

1 Like

Wait, what?! there is a LFO per voice on the new prophet-5 ??

Same here … beautiful sound, but listening to all the demonstrations I asked myself, would I use its sounds in my music very often? Answer is no. Nothing to complain about the price, because I have “other gear”, which I could never justify to a rational thinking person.

If only Tom Oberheim would reissue the Matrix12 or somebody else would make a synth with its capabilities … dreaming … :pleading_face:

2 Likes

Yep. And one of the thing about these references to the 80’s, also makes me think - I didn’t much like all these sounds from the 80’s. I much more like what you can do with them today, which is of course what Sequential is going for.

I’m into Cobra Kai now and I love it. What I love most about it is that it takes its source material from the 80’s, puts a clever but very credible spin on it, but also plants it firm into what the world’s like to day (well, the world according to a casual pop-corn show). But it’s also like, we’re not saying this was a time that did everything right. We’re just saying, we knew you were there or if you weren’t, that you’re aware to some extent about what its legacy. And that legacy led us here, to something new that couldn’t exist without the origin product but still is its own.

I felt the Prophet 6 was just that, Cobra Kai. This one, I wonder. But I also don’t care, I can just appreciate what Dave’s doing here all the same and just the dignity, the skill, the true display of world class craft, is enough of a reason to applaud and respect this.

8 Likes