Sequential resumes Prophet-5

Absolutely … and TBH it could be, that one day I get the Prophet-10, just for nostalgia and the many lovely voices :smiley: and please nobody tell my wife … :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

You know, it’ll always be a damn fine quality instrument and if the tipping value is that it brings a fond idea of nostalgia to the mix, that’s not a bad thing. It’s not like it doesn’t live up to the quality it aspires to.

My wife’s given up on me. “Oh, another one? Well, at least it looks nice with the furniture.”

3 Likes

I feel exactly the same way as what circuitghost is saying… It’s a lovely sounding synth for sure but I think I’d get pretty bored pretty fast with something like this. I really wish someone would take THAT sound (whatever that is) and give it modern features (tons of modulation via todays processors, extensive midi etc etc.)

I also can’t help but feel that these classic synths have been used to death, would be cool to hear more music being made with fresh new sounds rather than trying to emulate the past. (I’m guilty of wanting sounds of the past out of nostalgia too)

1 Like

This is a great example of when specs on paper don’t really convey the full story. For me the exciting aspects of the Prophet 5 lie in the Curtis 3340 VCO, the 2040-style Rossum filter, and the “Vintage” control which can model the instability and volatility of the Prophet Rev 1 (I would probably have it on that unstable setting most or all of the time). These all influence the resulting sound of the synth much more than any number of features do. I can sequence it using any outboard sequencer (modular, DAW, etc.) of my choice. I can use outboard effects of my choice. Those rarely make or break a synth for me.

Regarding price, I have no interest (or ability for that matter) in buying a P5 Keyboard new, but I’m looking forward to seeing what used prices end up being for a P5 Desktop in a few years. A quick look at Reverb shows at least one mint OB-6 Desktop for under $2k.

Same here … too often I had told her that “this one” would be the last … then I got this problem with my nose :lying_face: and decided to be honest to her in the future … :blush:

1 Like

Nope, it’s global, like the original (and P6/OB6)

2 Likes

Wife: How many synths do you need?!
Me: Yes

Also applies for delay pedals, filters, drum machines etc.

4 Likes

:smiley:
That is exactly how the conversation’s been at my home as well. I’m like, “Really, honey, with this synth, I’m all set.” And she goes, “Just like last week, you mean?” And daughter chimes in, “Dad, you say that all the time.” Even my sons roll their eyes, and they’re not even that old.

Upside is, I mostly figure out during the return period if I want to keep stuff or not (I rarely do), so actual financial impact of my gear journey is quite low. And my family’s generally into music, all in their own ways, my wife plays the violin, my oldest son loves to just tweak synths and my daughter sings, so they kind of get it, as well.

Having said that … it would be nice to say it and mean it, once in a while. Or just the once, I guess, since that’d be the definition of saying “This is the one” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thats me too. My wife now says if i want to return it she will not help in the re-packaging i’ve done it so many times. I say this is it, and she says “Whatever”.

The INHALT guy that makes demos of Sequential gear said there’s an LFO per voice.

I didn’t look at their demos, and I won’t.
Read the Sequential doc, the P5 always had a global LFO + the OSC 2 if used in low speed mode.
Maybe that’s what he said, OSC2 in low speed mode can be used as a per voice LFO, like the original :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nope, he said that the second osc could be used as an LFO as well, but still maintained that there’s an LFO per voice. See page 11 of the thread on GS.

1 Like

For space saving, I want the desktop, though there’s a risk it might be as big as the P6 desktop

1 Like

They’re probably synced by default so that it works like the original, with the option to run them separately if you choose so.

Dave said in the video that the rev. 4 has a lot of hidden tricks; this is probably one of them.

Didn’t realize you already have a Super 6. Quite a few people would say if you have that, why look at this?

Man GAS is a pain innit?

yeah, I’m always evaluating and re-evaluating. I also work in two different spaces rather different from each other and inconvenient to travel between, so I’m always thinking over my two configurations and how to get the most out of them without losing my mind. My first consideration is always “what will this allow me to liquidate?” because I like honing in on the most efficient configuration for getting things done. I also believe in backups, but given my two locations, my backups don’t reside in the same place. This P-5, though, just looks like an indulgent excess for my situation. I’m also into indulgent excesses sometimes, and it virtually always takes me well past the return period for the novelty to wear off and to sell it, but I just chalk that off to experience cost.

You might think that the mania itself is the goal, a kind of endless pursuit of the horizon, but, for example, my long running wheeling and dealing with guitars did finally evolve to a conclusion with the one bass and the one guitar that will do everything I need. Plus one backup guitar because The Perfect One uses a preamp battery. I haven’t changed guitars in years.

oh yeah, the Super 6 was the result of the PolyBrute discussion.

2 Likes

I was referring more to the extra sub osc and the 2 extra polymod destinations but yea I love the sequencer on my OB6. After watching a few of the videos I can tell the P5 is in a class of its own, it sounds incredible!

2 Likes

The poly mod has always been just that, poly. The one LFO is fixed across all voices. The manual makes a point of saying the poly mod is per voice, but makes no mention of poly for the LFO, which you’d expect they would if it was.
Can you post a screenshot of this explanation you found, and who quoted it? Sounds interesting, and I’d love to believe it.

I feel ya on that.

I have a functional polysynth already with full size keys, decent sounds - Korg M3 61. But the thought of having to put work into making it sound a little grimy, because its factory tones are so clean and glossy, makes me feel lazy. I also have an irrational fear of wearing out the touchscreen, because the M3 touchscreen is notorious for a short lifespan.

The parties at my friend’s place, with all those nice analog and hybrid polysynths, reminded me of how clean the M3 sounds, while the polysynths at his place sound so pleasantly grimy with next to no effort.