Sequential resumes Prophet-5

yeah I have considered this beast a good bit over the last few days. and that’s the most difficult question. I don’t play or sequence massive chords and this doesn’t have layers/isn’t multitimbral. I have a few other six voice synths and don’t generally see much voice stealing with the stuff I write. I’d likely be fine with a 5 voice one. I was fine with a four voice Jupiter, after all. but you’re right: given it’s not much of an up-charge, considering… :thinking:

I wish they would announce whether or not there will be an option to add the other voices later. might actually help them gain more sales, if people who want the 10 but can’t quite swing it knew they could just upgrade the voice count later. and they should let you swap out the “Prophet 5” badge for the “Prophet 10” one :raised_hands:

Yeah I’ve seen some discussion over P10 vs P5 and people saying they’re willing to pay the premium for 10 voice poly because of voice-stealing. Totally justified if you’re working professionally as a soundtrack composer/producer - dunno if the Terminator soundtrack could be done with P5 instead of P10.

OTOH, there’s just too huge a body of work done with P5 and it’s 5-voice polyphony. A lot of people got work done with just those 5 voices. I’m more likely to layer/orchestrate multiple polysynths/parasynths than rely on voice-stealing on a single master polysynth - just knowing my own preferences.

2 Likes

If it has individual voice cards it should be as simple as opening one up to see if there’s 5 empty docks inside.
Hopefully that’s the case, because if it requires a 5 dock board to be installed, there’s the possibility that it could have the midi issues the Rev.2 16 voice has.

Personally after much thought i think its a no brainer to get the 10 voice. Heres why. Years ago having an extra 5 voices would have set you back thousands not a few hundred. I think we forget in this modern age just how expensive synthesizers were in the early days. I think we expect way too much.

One other thing. Sequentials boxing and packaging(as in above) is the best ive ever seen. Its pure art and attention to detail inside astounded me when i opened up my Rev2 box. Roland,yamaha and especially Nord are inferior in comparison.

ever seen Stranger Things? how about Halloween?

to be fair… it’s not “a few hundred.” a few is like three. it’s $800 more for the other five voices. but yes, in comparison to what you’re already paying, it’s not so much to get the extra voices. I just meant that likely a lot of people can barely do the $3500 for 5 voices, let alone $4300 for 10, even if that’s what they’d prefer.

If you can barely do the price of the 5 voices then surely you shouldn’t even be contemplating buying the Prophet.?? Never put yourself or your family financially at risk for a want…Afterall there are much cheaper alternatives in the DAW world. But yes even several hundred could break your bank if your skint.

Ever heard Tom Tom Club, Bernie Worrell, Gary Newman, Ozzy Osbourne, Pink Floyd, Vince Clarke, Tears For Fears, Berlin, Eurythmics, Joy Division. Dr. Dre, The Prodigy, Kitaro, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Public Image Limited, Derrick May, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Tangerine Dream, Jeff Mills, Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, New Order, John Carpenter, The Cars, Vangelis, Patrick Cowley, Sylvester, The Cars, Phil Collins, John Carpenter, Peter Gabriel?

Source: http://blog.dubspot.com/prophet-5-spotlight/

Looking at the body of work, I just can’t buy the argument that 5 voices are suddenly not enough to make music.

3 Likes

Just another vid of some guy running through vintage P5 presets. I do like how he has it try and his joyful enthusiasm. He touches on the limit of 5-voice polyphony once. But he does not seem to obsess over it.

1 Like

not the case for me personally, but yes you’re absolutely right. for me it’s just “do I actually need the extra five voices, or can I buy a cool pedal or something instead?” :rofl:

dude from Sequential is answering some ?'s over at MW and says they are actively discussing the option of allowing a voice upgrade. didn’t say “it’s not possible” which leads me to believe it is, they just haven’t figured out if they want to or a price on it yet.

you got Carpenter in there twice. and I already mentioned Halloween!

I had the same dilemma with the Rev 2 should i get 8 voices or 16. I went 16 as i wanted no regrets. As they say in the business “Go big or Go home” :smiley:

That list was a copy and paste from above linked article. I liked Strangers Things and the soundtrack, but to me SURVIVE is a John Carpenter tribute band. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

For me the $800 difference between 5 and 10 is going towards Osmose, which I already preordered, and the remainder (if any) towards Moog Matriarch. Minimum 3 timbre capability and polyphony from the 3 synths combined is more than enough of a tradeoff vs. a monotimbrial 10-voice synth. i get the voice-stealing argument - not a factor for me.

One of the peeps commenting on the “Famous Preset Sounds” album mentioned Mark Isham’s Vapor Drawings album so I’m having a listen. This is apparently all Prophet-5 and Roland MC-5 sequencer. I guess he got around the 5-voice limit by multitracking?

1 Like

Our Sequential friend cbmd on P10:

The actual original P10 was a P5 with 10 voices. Before the dual manual P10 was released.

Hardware is finished, there will be no stereo output from the P10. Bi Timbrality and all the associated doohickies are on the list.

cbmd answering some question about software and UI. Not sure of original context

There are some other posts but they don’t interest me as much.

1 Like

hahaha :rofl:

I don’t think they use a P5. at least not live. I’ve seen them using a SixTrak though. and one of them was interviewed here, saying he uses an Analog Keys, though I’ve never seen it.

I did too. but primarily because I found a good deal on one. but it makes more sense there, because it’s bi-timbral. good to see above that they are considering this for the P5/P10.

I went 8-voice, then immediately decided I wanted the voice board, and bought/installed it maybe 5 days after I got the Rev2. :smiley:

If I was going to get a P-5/P-10 I would go for the 10. As it is though, I’d probably just get another Rev2 as I miss the hell out of it.

Nice history of Prophet documentary. All the Prophet models get some love, including P12, P08, etc. Yep, the REV2 too, although it’s obviously getting a lion sized share of love right here, right now.

3 Likes

Cheers will watch later

1 Like

If this goes bi-timbral, I’m in trouble :nerd_face:

1 Like

I believe they’re looking into this, at least with the P10.

Well, I’ve reached GAS overload with my various number of synths. The P5/P10 is a lot of money, but is also a lot of synth and I’ve been considering the Pro-3 anyway.

Goodbye, most of my studio. The more I own, the less I use. Keeping my Elektron stuff, I’m sure it’ll work well with this.

3 Likes

I actually just had a go at the Pro-3 now for a couple of days, but I’ll be returning it. Awesome synth, but not one I need.

1 Like

Desktop anticipated next year

2 Likes