Sequential Take 5 five voice poly

Really cool mix of sound/price/features imo. I also would dig a desktop version. I absolutely do not want any more synths but damn.

however I bet it does extremely well on the used market

They seem to be doing well as ever.

It helps that they tend to give surprise discounts to people who visit in store.

Sorry REV2 fans but there was a REV2 in the same room as the P5, P6, OB6, Moog One, etc. I gave it a chance… not a bad sounding synth or anything, but like all the others P5 just kept calling me away from it.

T5 doesn’t have to sound exactly like P5 to draw money out of my wallet. It just has to sound almost as good - and that’s already better than most of the other synths in teh room.

1 Like

Lol at the ‘flu note’ shirt as well

1 Like

Has the ssi2130 been used in other synths? Google was unhelpful for me here.

have you tried Repro, if so which do you think sounds better?

Nope.

Not really a softsynth person, other than the few I bought just to support some cool people (Ess and the super nice dude with Unfiltered Audio)

1 Like

I’m actually trying to be bias towards(in favor of) hardware but I haven’t heard anything yet that sounds as good as repro from the take 5… of course it just dropped but still surprising imo

1 Like

Fair enough.

I benefit from having access to a store like Chuck Levin’s. If my home was much further away from a great synth store like that, I might be more inclined to be thinking “Prophet 5 sounds great, but so do all the other analogs, and even certain softsynths”. In other words, I would be harder to convince that any synth (hard or soft) sounded distinctly more desirable to my ears than any of the others.

1 Like

I don’t think it has been used in any other synths yet. To my knowledge, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, it is a newer VCO. The cool thing that Sequential did with it is that it is a variable wave VCO, not fixed like the P5, and it actually starts with a sine wave instead of a triangle. I haven’t owned many analog synths with a sine wave as a default choice, and probably have never owned an analog poly with one.

Listening to all of the sound examples so far, I am hearing both modern and vintage sounds. I am going to guess that the VCO’s do both, and rolling them back in the mixer will give you some nice vintage flavor. Also, some of the sounds have a nice edginess to them that I am digging. This thing has both a filter drive knob, and an overdrive knob, so I think that is probably contributing. I’m glad they put a filter drive knob on that filter. Of course, these are just guesses until more in-depth vids come out, or some of us can get our hands on one.

2 Likes

now i could be wrong but aren’t all of sequential’s promo videos kinda terrible?

2 Likes

Haha, yeah, I can agree with that. After watching their videos, I often don’t feel like the synth is for me. But its one of those things I am aware of now, so I try to keep it in perspective until I hear it in the hands of others, or myself.

I particularly remember being really put off by the early Pro 3 promo’s, and have since heard some wonderful things done with that synth.

2 Likes

yeah. i have an evolver and the pro 1,2,&3 and i didn’t care for the promo material on those last two at all. however once this gets into the hands of the right people i’m sure it’ll make me start lusting. i’d never part with any of them.

1 Like

Well if you want demo’s there on youtube already.

I’d say the first and last demo’s seem to sound more appealing than the second.

2 Likes

Yeah, I would say that the Peff soundcloud posted above is more in my ballpark, and also the INHALT demos.

I’m really digging J3PO’s work with it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS7ZVbQJysu/?utm_medium=copy_link

4 Likes

I haven’t seen these yet.

Waiting on the Low Split Remix :rotating_light: :rotating_light:

2 Likes

:rofl: Coming right up!

Peff’s cat is pretty good on it also:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS7MLwYpPZg/?utm_medium=copy_link

7 Likes