Sequential Take 5 five voice poly

Cool, I will have to check it out. I kind of figured they would do it like they did on the P5 using a key command with the unison knob.

1 Like

Also, if they were going for the portability angle, they should have called it the Pocket Prophet.

4 Likes

Mod Matrix:

7 Likes

paging Dr. Love Hulten, Dr. Love Hulten please report to the infirmary!

My 1st things to check are ussually .

Is delay clocked to bpm … it should have that option and not need firmware updates
Same with lfo, clockable to ext sync

Do effects cut off when changing sound / program. Of course they should not as standard.

Do things stay in sync ? Again this should happen on release of the device but often companies ship early.
And will updating firmware brick the device , especially the first few updates.

Basically I’d wait a bit .

1 Like

Im not sure about the sound but sometime demos does not do justice to a synth.
Really like the features though !
I have a feeling that im going to prefer the Dreadbox poly so i’ll wait a little bit :slight_smile:

1 Like

This or the Elektron Analogue Keys? :slight_smile:

Yep, online demos don’t do justice compared to in-person audition with decent monitors.

And yeah, I have my sights on both upcoming Dreadbox polysynths - the 6-voice Abyss and the Ny.

1 Like

This looks like a really tidy board, I bet they’ll sell tons. Anyone know how the arpeggiator works? Specifically the ‘repeat’ knob with LEDs for 1/2/3 - is it a rate control?

Repeat: 1, 2, 3 —Set to off, each note in the arpeggio plays once. Set to 1, each note in the arpeggio plays twice. Set to 2, each note in the arpeg- gio plays three times. Set to 3, each note in the arpeggio plays four times.

2 Likes

Ah, I missed the official docs, thanks! There’s a clock divide knob, cool design

2 Likes

Yeah, I thought the clock divide knob was cool too. I have been browsing the manual noticed a couple things I didn’t see before.

• Panning is a mod destination.
  • There is a master volume and a program volume. This was a small beef with the P5.
  • The noise knob is pink noise one side, white noise the other.
  • Also cool that all the fx parameters are mod destinations.
3 Likes

Good morsels you’ve gleaned there.

Glad I don’t have space for this thing. Retro Gear Shop in Nashville has a $75 off code (take5) and I would have already bought one if I had the space in my room. SFC-5 above my Pro 2 will suffice.

Still I appreciate the niche they’ve found in the market. A Prophet for the rest of us.

4 Likes

I agree. I think this will get some nice prophet sounds into the hands of more people. And it sounds pretty versatile, even some of the bass patches. This seems like a synth the could be an all-in-one for some people. Pop it in unison, set the voice to 1 or 2, and you’ve got a mono synth.

And while it may not be pocket size, it’s only 25" wide, so you can tuck it under your arm and go on your way without having to worry about dinging up any nice wood sides. Don’t get me wrong, I love the wood sides on my Sequential/Dave Smith gear, but when it comes to moving them around, it’s Panic at the Crisco Disco.

1 Like

I wonder, being “portable” and all, if they would actually make a 19 inch module version of the take 5. Much more compact than their 21 inch desktop modules!

3 Likes

looks like they trademarked “take 5” in may. if any curious sorts want to troll trademark records to guess what’s next from your favorite brand, have at it.

The only one I have seen is the OB-X trademark from January this year. I suppose, if the Take 5 was trademarked in May, and we have a new synth coming end of year, the new trademark should be coming in the next couple months, unless it was the OB-X.

Unless they already hold the trademark.

2 Likes

I’m still not convinced the OB-X trademark wasn’t just due to some Behringer related thing. I would like to see an OB-X/Xa type thing from Sequential though.

The case against an OB-X is:

1. Not historically a sequential product in the same way the Prophet 5 was
  2. Dave prefers to focus on new things not remakes, partly why the P5r4 was such a suprise
  3. Arguably the P5r4 was in part due to SSI making the chips that it could use, which I dont think is the case for the OBs
  4. What is the commercial case for an OB-X given the OB-6 and the imminent Behringer one?

I mean they still could and I hope they do but I dont necessarily take it as a given.

1 Like

That is true, it could have have been so Behringer didn’t snatch up the trademark.

I guess if I had to pick, I would go with an OB-XA reissue, and Tom does hold the trademark to that. It would offer a nice counterpoint to the OB-6. For the OB-6, they basically dropped the SEM oscillators and filters in. I think that is why I like it so much. I believe the OB-X may have had somewhat similar circuitry to the SEM but it only included a 2 pole low pass filter. The OB-Xa on the other hand did have a different sound, because it actually Curtis chips. So it could offer a different sound from the OB-6 in todays lineup.

But those are just wishes. If they never did another synth together, I would be perfectly happy with my OB-6. It has a sound that really speaks to me.