Sequential Take 5 five voice poly

This, for knobines :heart:

1 Like

I think i like this better then p5. P5 really is totally retro.

3 Likes

These demos are kind of pointless. Patches on their own, don’t say much. You don’t use a synth like that. And Peter Dyer multi-tracking, sure, that’s great. But no one uses a synth like that either.

It’s in context, the instrument shows its real worth. When it’s in a band, or among other synths, or with samplers or drum machines, or run through a decent mixer or whatnot, when its true colors are put to real test, in the situations where it’ll be actually used.

When I got the Prophet 5, I liked its sound immediately. There’s a soft and dusty character to it, sweetly faded, sort of. But it doesn’t matter much on its own, or multi-tracked. It sounds very similar to most plugs, copies, close enough-versions. No way does it justify its price, in those situations.

But once I started using it … sampled it through the Chase Bliss Mood, looped it through the Blackbox, ran it through the SiX … that’s when it started to matter for real. All those very subtle characteristics and nuances, those details that define the way it’s built and designed … that’s when they start to show themselves. The way it translates when you sample and pitch it, run it through a granulator, how it responds to compression or eq or whatnot … when you push it. Then, it shows its true colors.

Those are the demos that really makes a difference, to me, at least. Comparing great VST:s to hardware, one synth before the other, who cares? Compare them in context. That’s when you’ll know the difference.

11 Likes

On paper this thing looks perfect for me… I’ve been rocking the mopho x4 for a while because of its size, functions and ability to serve both as a poly and a mono. Only thing missing is 1 extra voice to play extended chords…

But so far the sound demo’s of the take 5 really don’t seem to grab me… it sounds kind of polished/poppy to me in the demo’s i’ve heard. Also I much prefer the way the ‘old’ prophet synths look.

1 Like

On order. And out :+1:

3 Likes

Do many synths behave this way? It sounds expensive…

I wanna most I’ve had keep the sounds fx in some sort of buffer but also change to whatever settings the new patch has. Dsi/sequential stuff I’ve played all seems to do it. Same with elektron stuff. Electribe 2 is I suppose a notable example of FX cutting and people really were annoyed with that.

@Sleepyhead I think it is just the angle they were marketing at, the peff demo posted earlier I think did a great job of showing off some different ranges.

1 Like

I dunno, even the J3po demo was kinda thin compared to his p5 stuff, still early yet though

1 Like

I’m just glad it doesn’t have anything that makes me regret owning my Pro 2 + SFC-5 instead.
VCOs aren’t as magical to me now, as they were some years ago.

That said, if I didn’t own one or both of those, I’d probably be first in line for this thing. There’s a target market for this and we’re not all in it.

9 Likes

Yeah I certainly wouldn’t give up my pro 2 for it but if they make a module I certainly could see making some space right above it for the Take 5… the name of it and marketing angle doesn’t really seem like it would make that much sense as a module but I hope I am wrong. A lower priced module would be an even better entry point I suppose. Really I got too much spendy stuff on order to be thinking about this synth.

4 Likes

Am I the only one kind of surprised by the price. I was expecting it to cost way more than $1300. Granted, that’s not chump change, but I wasn’t mentally prepared for that price. Almost makes it doable for me…with payments. Hopefully they put out a module and make it sub $999. That might push me over.

2 Likes

Btw…pan spread as mod source is probaply pretty awesome!
More spread out voices = more modulation intensity and thus notes could have longer reverb decay or longer envelope decay, release…
PWM changing with panorama…damm!
Or effects…

There’s no stereo spread right? just pan as a mod destination?

Sorry, it’s voice spread, not pan spread. Voice spread is mod source, panning is mod destination. Here’s a screenshot of the mod matrix. Click

I can’t find any spread parameter in the manual, though.
This section mentions pan settings, though.

1 Like

I get confused with the naming nomenclature tbh.
On the rev2 there’s a pan spread and I love that a lot but couldn’t see that in the manual or on the synth itself so I guess it’s not available.

1 Like

Me, too…
Also not sure what voice spread even refers to…I scanned the manual, didn’t find any per voice settings there. There is a per voice lfo and the vintage knob also can introduce variation per voice, but yeah…confused^^ :laughing:

Pan spread as mod source would be so cool, though! Have to check if there are synths, that can do it.

Pretty sure voice spread is the same as pan spread.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess so. Thing is, I can’t find any actual parameter in the manual for voice spread/pan spread. It’s just mentioned in the mod matrix.

I couldn’t see any voice or pan spread in the manual but in the modulation source. on the rev2 there’s a dedicated knob and you can set the amount of pan spread. 0 = mono, max = voices will switch from L/R randomly (I think). so first note will be on the Left and the second note on the Right and that will cycle through the voices

1 Like

might be a mistake in the manual (a good old copy pasting from another synth haha)

2 Likes