Sequential Take 5 five voice poly

I have the same problem here with the demos as with most analog polys.
It‘s not the synth that doesn’t grab me, it‘s the demos which more than often don’t fit my taste.
I‘m used to this when watching demos about dave smith synths. All this classic 80s poly sounds is exactly what I DON‘T want to hear from a synth.
Waiting for @colectivo_triangular and a few others to showcase sounds I like and would use in a track.
Also waiting for sonicstate to hear the filter and vcos on their own

4 Likes

Best demo so far, love the commentary.

I’m seeing the 8 voice at $1000 and the 16 at $1500 which in my view makes the 8 look like the better bargain, but I guess it depends if you really need the extra voices and compressor (iirc)

That’s really interesting, I wonder if synths will soon be designed to sound good through youtube compression :smiley: (probably not, since those algorithms constantly changing)

Well my thinking is you get double the synth for half the amount more, plus the compressor, plus the much larger keybed, plus the additional panel controls. With splits/layers the extra polyphony is big too. I can say from experience that you don’t want to underestimate the value of the compressor in the Prologue. This is off topic though, so back to Sequential talk!

1 Like

Just sharing my experiences and opinions, that’s all.

I get that not everyone is as lucky as I am to have access to a store for in-person evaluation. You have the right to trust Youtube for your shopping decisions, if that’s your thing

The way an instrument sounds on YouTube is an interesting topic. In this video, he ponders such questions, and thinks that the more dynamic synths, like analog synths, don’t sound as good, or as true to form because of the youtube compression, whereas digital synths can sound better, or more true to form.

He mentions a comment by Dan Solaris in the video, and Dan has this to say in the comments:

“When I uploaded my Waldorf Blofeld soundset demo I was so frustrated by the way Youtube changed its sound I pulled down the video. Next morning after I woke up I realized my mistake: No one in the world heard the original audio, so who cares. So I’ve re uploaded it. Several months later the product will become Waldorf’s best selling soundset to this date. It literally earned me enough $$ for a nice sailing boat. Point of the story: leave YT for guitar guys and take all synth videos with a grain of salt. And some good news from 2021 - Amazon cloud is so cheap it’s ridiculous - distributing high definition audio to the masses is no longer an issue.”

And it certainly aligns with some of my experiences, how some synths just didn’t quite grab me in YouTube videos, but I did a 180 hearing them in person. I even felt like a something was missing from the P5R4 demo’s on YouTube, but when I got my hands on one, it was apparent that they had nailed it. I also remember being impressed with some of the early Roland MC707 demo’s, but when I got my hands one, it all felt a little flat. Obviously everyones perception and how we connect with instruments are going to be different, and this is no hard and fast rule, but it is an interesting topic.

4 Likes

Thanks again for mentioning me. Take 5 looks quite interesting but I’ll have to wait a bit.

1 Like

some bobeats. nice pads

4 Likes

Still not blown away, but some of the patches sounded good!

Btw when bobeats says he will be ‘doing collaborations’ with perfect circuit, that just means they send him free stuff/money and he promotes them right? He manages to make it sound like theyre working on some creative project together instead of him having been hired by them for marketing purposes :joy:

4 Likes

bah! sequential stuff, or maybe just new/in demand gear like the take 5, is now exempt from perfect circuit discounts. i checked my cart with the discount, refreshed, and it said it’s now not valid. perhaps this will save me from myself.

If it was today, then their labor day coupon was discontinued today.

no, it was another code i had hanging around. it was valid before the labor day sale code got activated.

1 Like

I like the Sounds I’m hearing from this video.

3 Likes

Me too! :yellow_heart: I’m also partial to how bo says vid-yo

3 Likes

It’s on my way, EU, it will be delivered next week I suppose, can’t test it before the and of the month, i am away from home.

Been liking the idea of this, but the rev2 8 voice on jexus has got me. I have two analog filters for variation, subphatty, minibrute, controlled distortion and uncontrolled, plus the ability to do splits, etc on the Rev2, and then sampling and mangling via the OT, and I think as much as I wanted an OB, if I don’t go with another XD, I think the take five is a fun idea, and good for the young kid with parents who have money. For the rest of us, well have fun if you need new at that price? But it is cool. Except for that paint job.

re: paint job, yeah it’s clear they want to sell it but they don’t want to take too many eyes off of what they already got goin as well… too many people are willing to chop off an arm or a leg for their flagships

1 Like

I was planning to get a Prophet 6, but Take 5 makes me reconsider it. Does it make any sense?

nope