SERIOUS: Do you like jazz?

OG left us some goodies before he left

1 Like

That’s fantastic. Thanks for the discovery!

That’s techno. But that’s jazz. And that’s… amazing. Steevio :alien: :pray:

6 Likes

Spun my Morphine albums today.
Jazz? Blues? Jazz Blues? :drooling_face:

5 Likes

I hear absolutely no jazz when I listen to Morphine, but it sure is fantastic anyway :metal: Haven’t seen this performance :pray:

There are two great documentaries on them worth checking out, by the way.

1 Like

I’m curious how the op got the impression that elektronauts don’t like jazz.
Anyway, I like it. Like any broadly defined umbrella genre there’s a lot that I don’t like but there are enough styles and sub genres within it that I do like that I can say I’m a fan overall.
Long ago I played it a bit (bass, organ, drums/ percussion depending on the group and style). I haven’t done that in a long long time but the approach still informs my music making to this day. For my brain the formula of a predetermined framework that can be freely improvised around is perfect.

1 Like

Yeh. It just makes me think Jazz because I was in a Jazz band at the time they broke out.

1 Like

1 Like

In the beginning, there was a SERIOUS joke response to a joke made on a different thread with our good elektro-man @natehorn :shushing_face: But in all seriousness, I also do feel like a closeted jazz appreciator when roaming around in public sometimes.

That’s awesome, man :beers: do you have any recordings that you’d be willing to share with us? Bass samples will forever be welcomed in this house. :older_man:

2 Likes

Corea Duke Hancock? They predate “electronica” by decades, I guess they entered a time machine to be influenced by it?

1 Like

No if u read on i was talking about EST gogo penguin and Avishai cohen but even so if are aware of Herbie and the likes output you would know of the influence they took from minamilist electronic artists and avant garde electronica
Do you renember Herbies Electro jazz output from early 70s to late 80s

1 Like

This term did not exist until the mid 90s, so no, Herbie was not influenced by it. Minimalism, as in Lamonte Young and Terry Riley had a very, uh, minimal influence on Jazz in general, but also, very little of the minimalism of the 1960s was electronic to begin with. So, to sum up “minamilist electronic artists and avant garde electronica” don’t exist in the period prior to Herbie et al, that it could have influenced them.

If you want to educate people on music history, don’t you need to know music history, instead of a bunch of jive marketing terms?

This is the way jazz appreciation should be experienced, in private and while embarrassed.

2 Likes

Not much ever got recorded, it was usually performance focused but I might have a couple of recorded gigs. I’ll dig around soon and see what I can come up with. I can’t promise anything but I hope I have something. They’ll probably be on cassette. Regardless of which instrument I might be playing on them there will be some bass.

1 Like

I don’t like it when you guys make me talk seriously about jazz, but I was listening to this record yesterday and it is a serious JAM, love these broken beats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtVssCSmtRk

1 Like

Ey nice one man! Didn’t know Alfa Mist teamed up for this one that’s a neat find :beers:

1 Like

Sorry to upset you with my ignorance your obviously a nineties baby know it all…apologies … calm down mate , maybe jack one out and feel better

Wow. That’s wild. Gonna play it through a few times to work out if I like the actual sound and feeling of it as much as the approach and ideas. Great share, thanks!

1 Like

I’m going to rule this out as not jazz, but it was a dope set, regardless. Maybe we can give the benefit of the doubt and assume Steevio was listening to jazz in his head while he created this dope jam.

1 Like

Don’t like jazz but there are noble exceptions.

This is not even jazz actually - it’s Bitches Brew - and I think it was this era in which Miles said his imagination could no longer be contained in music as we know it (free paraphrase).

Love this album to pieces although it took years to fully recognize, and still counting. Still every time I get back to it, feels more structured & immensely beautiful.

I wonder who is his reincarnation/equivalent now in the world of electronic music.

3 Likes