SERIOUS: Do you like jazz?

What was that, man?! Nice deep cuts literally everywhere, but the way the second song dropped is definitely :ok_hand: still perusing this one it’s nuts thanks for the share :beers:

1 Like
3 Likes

Hey @phaelam was that the version Sublime used on their Summertime song? Nice drop man :beers: Third song started off so much like a mellow Cowboy Bebop chase scene worthy song. Last one is a dangerous though :sunglasses:

1 Like

I never listened to Sublime

Here you go man, it’s a local beach group that blew up in Southern California. I assumed the whole world had heard this song at least once in a movie, at least.

oh I know Sublime. I used to live in SoCal…people tried to get me to listen.
I dont want to :slight_smile:

thanks tho.

1 Like

…borderline

1 Like

Funk Boss intro theme

As sampled in 4,5,6

1 Like

:grin:

1 Like

:mage:
The saga is complete.

1 Like

This is a nice one with an old Beatnuts sample residing in there @ 2:03mins.

here’s The Beatnuts’ song:

3 Likes

Hey if you haven’t had a chance to yet, I recommend checking out his interview on the creative process! SERIOUS: Do you like jazz? - #140 by aarb420

2 Likes

That’s a total gem!

1 Like

This was hot in all the blogs and channels I consume, last year. Beautiful space jazz.

3 Likes

It took me forever to find that one haha because when I first came across the sample it was with Cut Chemist and he had it as a transition loop mid-mixtape with his buddies hyping him up over the loop.

Only to realize later on that Large Professor was the OG with this sample:

Ohhh that’s just pretty. Thanks for sharing :beers:

1 Like

Jazz has a fascinating history of growth change and innovation that should be studied and respected.

However I’m never going to listen to another poorly engineered jazz record ever again. Turn the bass all the way down, crank the horns, only one mic for the drummer because why exactly???

Also Bitches Brew was mostly composed by the engineer cutting and editing the tape together, Miles donated some random melodies for the remix. It’s closer to Stockhausen than Glen Miller

I love the idea of improvisation, but that idea doesn’t mean play every freaking microtone in a scale as fast as possible. The slow stuff is soo drunk sounding since no one is on time. Thank Dave Smith for MIDI and quantization!

Whiplash is one of my favorite films, can’t stand the “music” :joy:

You haven’t done your homework, pal. I get where you’re coming from, but I believe that that attitude would be somewhat of a slap to the face of all of those great musicians who suffered to make those iconic tracks with that era’s major/minor label’s greed/technological limitations. Bad recordings do exist, agreed, but It should be the responsibility of the listener to be aware of all of the circumstances that the artists of that time had to endure to make the sounds you hear, today. Otherwise, you’re dismissing a lot of historical hardships (especially racism, and poverty) that the older generations of musicians were begrudgingly forced to endure, and still do to this day.

Put yourself in their shoes. Or don’t, but don’t act like their s***** recordings didn’t shatter minds and shape the future sound, at some point in time.

edit

1 Like

I’m calling out the shit recording and studio engineers along with the label bosses who kept the status quo of terrible recording practices for decades. Really a shame those great musicians were recorded and mixed so poorly.
Whole catalogs are basically unlistenable, at least classical standards get recent re-recording, instead those noodle-note dudes are forever trapped in bad mix downs. Ouch! Doesn’t do much to preserve the genre if 90% of it sounds technically terrible.

1 Like

Yeah, man it really does suck. Especially when you hear an awesome jazz sample and want to share it with someone else, but hear it with their ears, and the track loses feeling. :face_with_thermometer:

That was just that era, and that’s our only link to that source material.

There are so many other factors involved like what the radio/online dj with label influence decides to let you hear, what they’re trying to make money off of because it’s a cheap recording/catalog to begin with so the profits earned would be more enticing to whoever distributes the songs, etc. In the 2000s there were a lot of compilation CDs that just sucked and never had the cool songs the public (me lmao) wanted from the artists. There are too many factors to digest, which is annoying as a consumer, instead of just shutting off the brain and just listening to and enjoying what someone older/younger/deader did before us. :beers:

1 Like