SERIOUS: Do you like jazz?

If this doesn’t induce immediate airdrums/airbass plus stankface I don’t think we can be friends.
Love Jymie Merritt’s tone on the electric bass here.

4 Likes

If anyone is in Chicago, Jazz Fest is going on this weekend. I headed down for a few hours last night and it was a good time as always. It’s at millennium Park, and it’s free, so you can’t beat that.

2 Likes

Man I used to wear out that Scientifik song in high school, and until today, always thought that that was a lady on the hook! Drove me crazy trying to dig for a female artists voice that can get as deep as that :clown_face:

1 Like

@captain man you just reminded me of a 90s bay area track by RBL Posse with the Donald Byrd song!

Turns out RBL Posse used a different sample from Marvin Gaye (according to whosampled). That D. Byrd song that you shared sounds so familiar, but I can’t recall the song that sampled that from memory. Definitely heard that one used before in a hip hop track. :beers:

Immediate stank face guaranteed, damn. Sounds like this tribe song is hidden in there.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of the CTI label and anything produced by Creed Taylor from 1968-1978; artists like George Benson, Bob James, Hubert Laws, Ronnie Laws et al.

2 Likes

Beastie boys too, into to Paul’s Boutique.

1 Like

They sampled Lee Morgan’s version of the same tune.

1 Like

Nice catch, man. Haven’t listened to Beastie Boys in forever, but isn’t that the most expensive album ever produced because of all the samples they used on it?

Nice man thanks for that reassurance! Lee Morgan killed that song by the way that is tasty jams right there. :beers:

For those wondering:

1 Like

I discovered this on a Yemeksepeti Banabi set, really lush stuff

4 Likes

Bruv I’ve literally had this album listing on ebay open in a buried chrome tab for months now! :joy: :beers: Love that off-tempo bassline on this one.

Weird basslines always get a soft spot

7 Likes

This almost flew under my radar nice shares, man! :beers:

2 Likes

has Jazz lost it’s focus?

^thread name pls

2 Likes

ooh that’s smooth af

1 Like

Just how you stumbled on Vels Trio from a set, I came across David Matthews from having to hard dig through forums years ago after hearing a Cut Chemist mixtape he released a while ago called Rare Equations. If you want a ton of those classic samples they’re hiding in here and then some.

1 Like

Thanks for the new discovery for me - it’s like if Aaron Spelling made a TV miniseries of Dune in the seventies (in a really good way).

Here’s my relative deep cut to share:

2 Likes

Pretty much one of the only things I listen to, I also like classical and backwater mountainous banjo music (I just bought a banjo). Also learning flamenco guitar so the Spaniards have my vote as well.

Most of my life I listened to jazz, I was in jazz band in high school and middle school, as well as orchestra. Growing up I mostly liked rock and classic rock, but as I got older the teenage angst rock and big hair bands began to seem almost nauseatingly cheesy, there’s plenty of cheesy jazz but it’s much harder for me to listen to Miles Davis’ Bitches Brew 1,000 times and ever think it’s remotely cheesy.

Strangely I barely listen to electronic music.

3 Likes

Mélanie De Biasio

4 Likes