SERIOUS: Do you like jazz?

Didn’t even watch it, but read some articles, and I’m mad now.

One of my faves of the last decade+ !
All their albums are playful and just f*&#ing fun!

1 Like

Legit one of my favourite films and the soundtrack is banging! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The great Joey DeFrancesco recently passed away. Great moment caught on TV, with another jazz legend.

“The trumpet player is…”

(don’t care about the trumpeter) “Who’s your organ player ?” :grinning:

2 Likes

Yep, great fun, but deadly serious too, in a Cormac McCarthy kinda way.
First saw them circa 2004/5 in Bristol. Guess I’m hooked.

1 Like

I’d say it has some value. It’s just very conservative, revisionist, and there is clearly one voice guiding this attempt to tell the history of jazz. A very arrogant self-aggrandizing voice :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But any single person guiding something like this is going to be problematic and Marsalis had way too much input at the expense of seemingly anyone else.

You just have to consider the source and the biases in any source, so it isn’t like there won’t be problems with any ‘history of jazz’ sort of story. That’s why you access a variety of sources to try to gather a more coherent and balanced history.

1 Like

Alright, makes sense, but what can one realistically expect from a PBS program that’s generally marketed to older crowds? :joy:

Winton Marsalis is (maybe was, now) cool because he was only 19 when he got accepted into the jazz scene. Going to have to watch this now thanks for the buildup!

I remember feeling upset after watching the Ken Burns Jazz series. I don’t remember why, though. Probably for the best. :rofl:

1 Like

Do I like jazz?

No.

I fucking love it.

2 Likes
1 Like

More unashamed self promo :
Almost forgot about this thing on my (now exclusively) 3d sculpting channel, posted a few days (or so) before my first Elektron.
Might have already posted here in another thread, but hey…why not ?

2 Likes

Nice tune man thanks for sharing, and nice z brush skills :beers:

1 Like

Thanks a lot !!

1 Like
2 Likes

i love jazz! i love listening to it and i love playing it. (there’s not much money in jazz around here tho so we bluegrass it…)

Bill Evans Trio - “Live At Village Vanguard” is at the top of my list.

“Chet Baker Sings” still gets me every time

Charles Mingus - “Moanin’” … oof. so good.

1 Like

My old man fucking hated Jazz. He was alway my intro into so much music.

My first intro into jazz was after leaving school. I went to a wonderful guitar building course in Totnes, Devon. Still to this day one of the most influential experiences in my life. It was a small course for 3 months, and only 8 students with two tutors.

When It all got overwhelming, with all of us asking for attention, all of us stressing about this or that, our main tutor put a cassette on. We all just mellowed and, we’ll, just got on getting on. Worked every time!

3 Likes

My favorite from him is this one:

As sampled in this gem:

1 Like

my fav of his would be love letter to america

3 Likes

improve electronic jazz icon IKUE MORI’s “Class Insecta” album - laptop jazz dance floor crossover
https://boomkat.com/products/class-insecta-6f97154d-2200-4c9e-be63-7cbb2102fa7a

1 Like