SERIOUS: Do you like jazz?

@Octagonist Thank you very much! Nice to read you are enjoying it! :heart_decoration:

1 Like

I love all sorts of jazz from Sidney Bechet to Kieth Jarrett, etc.

I’m biased since these lads are from my home town, but this album is one of my favorites. (I love the bit at 4:00)

Also, some elektronauts might appreciate this cover.

4 Likes

Is he related to Stanley Clarke?!

This dude is secret sauce :shushing_face:

3 Likes

Yep!

For the MF Doom fans:

And this one is maybe my favorite:

He’s one of my inspirations for learning the flute. Off to my lesson now actually.

3 Likes

Noticed people were posting the lite stuff haha it’s already been sampled.
gotta supply the goods for the fam :beers: thanks for the shares!

Ey no way man, share some flute samps so we can mangle them into wild things! pls :upside_down_face: by the way that’s awesome I don’t know of any existing flute players these days that’s super neat.

1 Like

:sun_with_face::cloud_with_rain::sun_with_face::cloud_with_rain::sun_with_face::100:

3 Likes

Just discovered this Yusef Lateef gem from 1976. Jazz-funk album with an ARP2600 on it. Killer drums and electric piano as well. This is right up my alley.

This is wild as well and I think it might appeal to a lot of people here. Has almost an ambient vibe to it. The whole thing is amazing, but the recording of the drums on track 6 is masterful. The track credits list “electronics” as one instrument. Not sure what they used.

3 Likes

I love some good jazz. I really like the more experimental/free jazz side and acid jazz
My grandad got me into it when I was a teenager. We both loved music, I’d play him slayer and Metallica and he’d play me Dave Brubeck and Duke Ellington, we both found something to enjoy in the other’s music!

2 Likes

If anyone watches that doc, just worth mentioning that it’s pretty controversial for a variety of reasons. Worth reading into it if you don’t pick up on the objectionable aspects as you’re watching it.

2 Likes

NICE FINDS! I can never afford his records because they’re too pricey :sob:
More often then not, wind up forgetting his existence, as a result sadly. That first one was definitely way more funky :beers:

Have a dope Japanese artist I’d like to recommend you, named Stomu Yamashta. If you haven’t already heard of this dude he’s cool and played with other big artists at that time. Actually, it was shocking to find out he played in a band called GO, alongside Al Di Meola, and Steve Winwood, whom I later found out was close friends/played an iconic jam with Jimi Hendrix called Voodoo Child. Growing up, I always knew him as this big 80’s cheese factory sound in the movies/commercials (the 80s cheese sound is Steve Winwood, all the way) until stumbling on earlier GO records. You live and you learn haha

The album starts out kind of slow and just becomes funk out of nowhere around 4mins in.

1 Like

I dont think so

1 Like

Bought this about 20 years ago. Lovely cover version

1 Like

That’s wild. Gonna have to give this one a deep listen. Thanks!

1 Like

Here’s a personal favorite.

(And the full album for anyone wanting more)

3 Likes

I like Jazz. But I also like tearjerkers.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

That was smooth :beers: nice samples too :innocent:
The more I dive into jazz, from trying to understand the 90s hip hop I grew up with, it becomes more noticeable how much Herbie Hancock figured out some og funk formula structure back in the day and hip hop/modern music is just mimicking that Herbie (also Quincy Jones) formula it’s nuts. But, those guys also run their own lables too so that’s probably where the influence is coming from.

Felt like wasn’t reciprocating enough funk back, so here is one that used to be popular back in the early yt days, and is another lesser (commercially) known all-star sample cast jam. Bob James, OG. Grover Washington, Jr., OG. Idris Muhammad, least likely person to meet walking down the street in life to drop hard funk drum grooves, OG. So much action going on in one take.

Actually, the album is great too, albeit short, and I strongly believe Frank Zappa “sampled” one of the segments on this album but I can’t remember which part off of the top of my head, and it was just a hunch from listening/comparing the song structures. This album coming before Frank.

4 Likes