SERIOUS: Do you like jazz?

I have a curious relation with jazz. I don’t know much about it, never spent much time learning about it, but I love everything I hear. I even have a jazz playlist but I never know the name of the song or the artist that’s playing.

2 Likes

Lately I’ve been listening to quite a bit of Jazz is Dead: https://jazzisdead.co/, some cool stuff there, like Jazz is Dead 11:

2 Likes

We (me on bass, a drummer and Pianist) tried to copy this formula a dozen years ago, but we couldnt find a vocalist to match her “passion”.

1 Like

I believe you.
This kind of energy for a band, is an instant yes for me so… thanks again !

The photo is of the album “Karma” recorded by Pharaoh Sanders. It’s kind of a really great album by a relatively little known great. If nothing else, amongst the jazz I know of Karma is a one of a kind and reaches levels I’ve never heard in any music. Some people, physically cannot handle it, so be careful.

i dig the music; syndromes 2 - it’s very flavorful; quite delicious…I’m 15min in and will play the whole thing at work tomorrow, and maybe for the rest of the week… but it’s not Karma:

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kJZGvcMcq4KIl0JCNkXGmkJEURtRbIH3Y

2 Likes

Here is some soul/funk in a live album with Cannonball Adderley:

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nc34qbkzJojaLZJPL22imiQnOfTV7klWk

1 Like

I’'ve been trying to remember this site for the events that they have thank you for the awesome reminder! They hosted a small show for a band called Alfa Mist that I unfortunately did not attend.

Adrian Younge is awesome, and old school to the roots. I remember reading an article about him early on and he talked about buying all the juicy rare keyboards and synths when everyone was sleeping on them. If you haven’t seen the spoof blaxploitation film Black Dynamite it’'s not only ridiculous, and well done, but the entire soundtrack was done Adrian Younge and I think that blew his career up for the years to come. They even made an anime on adult swim lmao.

4 Likes

Ha, nice, glad to have been helpful! Alfa Mist’s album Bring Backs is a great listen, too:

I’ve never seen Black Dynamite, will have to check it out :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Worth mentioning that the amazing Jaimie Branch passed away recently. Feel like my social media was a steady stream of mourning last night when that was revealed. If you don’t know her work, it (and all of International Anthem really) is worth investigating. Thankful I got to see her once with the Party Knüllers here in Louisville. Missed Anteloper this summer though out of Covid concerns :frowning:

A great loss.

2 Likes

Alfa Mist imo sounded like they took a lot from J. Dilla’s production style, probably why they have a slightly bigger soft spot in my heart than other modern players that try to sound modern. That was a dope groove :beers:

1 Like

Sonny Sharrock - Ask The Ages

w/ Pharaoh Sanders (sax), Elvin Jones (drums), Charnett Moffett (bass)

Jazz from a parallel world where the guitarist’s typical gear was not an archtop and a clean amp, but a Les Paul into a Marshall

1 Like

This is so awesome lmao full band in his house :beers:

1 Like

This is amazing. Love the flute. Reminds me of AfroHarping

3 Likes

Jaimie Branch died 2 days ago at 39.

4 Likes

sad news

I don’t like much recorded music before 1980 that ISN’T jazz, except maybe Philadelphia International / Motown stuff

3 Likes

Mine too. Killer mix. I love Tony Allen, Moses Boyd, and the Heliocentrics, and enjoyed everything else there too.

1 Like