SERIOUS: Do you like jazz?

This post was meant to be a super SERIOUS post in response to your previous statement. :joy:

1 Like

Lot’s of beautiful points @Funkyswitches but this one I agree with most. I used to be to be a 90s hip-hop nut. I still am, but I used to be, too. Rappers used to say hip-hop was a way of life back then, and I imagine they took a lot of that attitude from the jazz musicians who came before them.

3 Likes

I love jazz :joy:

1 Like

I’m very conservative. Miles Davies, Ella, Nina Simone, Gerswin.

But damn, do I love what they did.

Also caught hold of a Norah Jones bootleg before anyone knew who she was, back in 2002 or something, a live gig she did at some bar. A few tracks there she never played on an album. Love that record. And enjoyed early Madeleine Peyroux when I was younger.

In Sweden, we got a jazz saint - Jan Johansson. What he did with a piano has inspired hundreds of Swedish acts decades after his death.

2 Likes

I’ve done the same to all of my family members. :beers: Thank you for your service! I think I have most of their records haha. Both my cousin, and uncle, who don’t play any instruments, are starting to hear samples in songs because of the constant lessons I forced on them without much consent haha. Now they’re teaching me artists, and my uncle and I exchange records whenever we see each other. It’s like a fun “mixtape” trade type deal, and I recommended trying it out with people close to you. You develop a better understanding for the person while bonding over discovering some neat possibly slept on music.

3 Likes

Not all but some…

Kurt Elling is my favorite vocalist
Also Esbjörn Svensson Trio is a personal favorite

3 Likes

Joni Mitchell Hissing of Summer Lawns and Hejira era

1 Like

That’s awesome lmao thanks for sharing that. What a G.

1 Like

WTF!? I LOVE jazz. Used to go to jazz clubs a bunch. Jazz live is awesome.

2 Likes

Fellow Swede - what’s your stance on early Bo Kasper? The Söndag i Sängen album? I’m not much into Bo Kasper these days, but they were great in their early days, including their break-through with I Centrum, which still had that smoky funk in it. Loved that they used old big band jazz loops on their early stuff as well.

ECM is fantastic. :beers: If you get a chance to, also check out the early 70’s Vanguard Apostolic label because they have some hidden gems hiding in there. I stumbled upon a guitarist named Larry Coryell there that was actually one of the first fusion jazz forefathers (and he had fresh young-man Chick Corea as a featured guest on his album). Neat stuff! If you see all the dudes that played with him on the cover of this album you’ll understand, its the all-star 90s NBA Dream Team for fusion jazz.

2 Likes

I just
love
love
love
this -

1 Like

Right there with you, pal. I feel like the 70s was the absolute peak for music making. It was classically trained musicians breaking the leash and creating wild ideas that I don’t think would be allowed for mainstream consumption as much today. I really wish I got to live during that period, and feel somewhat short changed for not having that opportunity. :unamused:

That intro sample though! :fire:

Im gonna be honest, Im not to Well versed in Bo Kaspers… No doubt talented though!

Maybe its time to get acquainted. Any tips on where to start?

1 Like

10712724_956522164362642_5465807514540103323_n

sorry

4 Likes

A great Jazz album :

A great Jazz album :

A great Jazz album :

4 Likes

Also my favorite jazz album

4 Likes

Ho yeah this one !

Jon Benjamin took a joke so far that the music actually sounded good. Brilliant.