SERIOUS: Do you like jazz?

I’m pretty much 100% a jazz man and play bass guitar as my main instrument. :sunglasses:

edit: and before that it was saxophone lol

1 Like

I’m down with the classics…

to the cheese…

to the small local jazz band…
[insert your favourite local jazz band here]

Adding: what set me off was, my first year college I had to take an elective, so I went for something easy, as my schedule was insane. I already liked jazz, but it wasn’t a thing. I took Jazz Appreciation. You had to go to clubs, listen to music and report back. I figured, easy credit. I turn, I got hooked. It was the best class!

1 Like

I love jazz a lot. Coltrane, Davis, Evans, Mingus, Parker, Monk… all amazing artists who lived the music in a very personal way. Jazz is freedom, sperimentation, a colorful world of sounds. A place of beauty and art. It’s not The Music, but surely it is a model of what every kind of music can be if lived with true love and freedom.

2 Likes
1 Like

I love Jazz! Specially the avant garde free jazz/Neue Musik scene always inspires by finding new methods, sounds and new aesthetics. And as electronic music producers we can learn a lot about drums and rhythms from Jazz.
Also, listening to Kind of Blue relaxes me like nothing else (okay, maybe Bachs Goldberg Variationen).

bild

(This used to be a running inside joke whenever me and a friend approved of something)

Don’t forget Basie

2 Likes

My friend the improvising cellist let us know that cellist Abdul Wadud passed away. So I started checking out his playing. Here he’s in more of a supporting role for Julius Hemphill. Iconic album though

1 Like

I like this thread!!

I’ve become a real lover of the genre in (almost) all it’s facets over the past few years.
It’s actually the more modern stuff that made me go search and gain love and respect for the pioneers, the legends and the legendary albums, but there’s still so much to discover…

For those who like the more modern stuff are would like to get familiar with it, I would like to share this compilation/djset I’ve made for 2020’s best vinyl albums(to my taste). Don’t want to advertise, just want to share the music. Enjoy!

1 Like

I’m a sucker for the cheese

1 Like

It’s a great Queen album?

Jokes aside (even though I’m very serious…) I love me some Alan Holdsworth, Mahavishnu Orchestra & Weather Report.

1 Like

I like Jazz Metal.

5 Likes

jazzfunksoul

1 Like

it’s complicated.
as a listener – i like the music, but rather bored with timbres.
as a drummer – no, i’m rather into rock drumming, which is vastly different.

That cheese is an absolute banger. :fire:

Reminded me of this Japanese city pop classic: Mariya Takeuchi Plastic Love 竹内 まりや - YouTube

2 Likes

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF :exploding_head:

Nice mix bro, thanks for sharing! :beers:

1 Like

The joy Julian exudes while he plays is EXACTLY what music should be about.

1 Like

Hey thanks!!
My pleasure!
Glad you like it. :wink:

1 Like

Depends on the Jazz music. Jazz is a fairly broad field of music. Some I like, but not every sub-genre of it.

I have performed with many Jazz artists as a musician (bass or guitar) over the years. The groups are usually either Soulful Hardbop, Jazzy R&B, or Jazz-Funk Fusion. I also played with an Afro-Cuban Jazz band in the past, which was extremely fun and interesting. That said, if a Dixie or Big Jazz band called, I would turn down the gig immediately.

2 Likes