Shoegaze thread

My friends in Screen Vinyl Image (post above yours) introduced me to the work of A Place to Bury Strangers/Death By Audio. Death By Audio was of course represented on their own pedalboards.

For those who might not be aware, Death By Audio was also a warehouse space that served as a live music venue, rehearsal space, and even a place for touring bands to spend the night. It was closed when Vice Media rented the building.

2 Likes

For DBA fans the doc is called Goodnight Brooklyn.
My friend Jason is in it and he’s right on with the nod to Denton TX

never forget:

8 Likes

1 Like

Candy is one of my favorite Song (not sure if it’s Shoegaze though). Steve Moore did a great Remix of that Song.

+3

Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas probably THE quintessential dream pop song

Also check out Planet 1999 and caro♡, shoegaze-influenced electropop

1 Like

Can someone explain the origin of the term “shoegaze” to me, please? Not being an English native speaker, this one is beyond me, thanks! :+1:

Mate Im english, and i was into those bands in the 90s, in their prime. Never heard the term shoegaze back then.

Only heard it recently actually, I’ve no idea where it came from or what it means. At the time, they were just bands… and thats what they sounded like. No one seemed to care about genre labels in those days.

1 Like

Pardon if too obvious an answer and I can’t confirm the specific provenance, but think of the shy fuzz nerd who shuffles around and stares as their shoes while they get hit with a wall of noise.

2 Likes

I always heard it was from the guitar players constantly staring at/manipulating large pedalboards

6 Likes

Yeh, guitarists carefully watching their looper/delay pedals trying to keep everything in sync.
There was also this odd crowd of nirvana fans a few years later who invaded the dance floors of Goth, and just stood there rocking back and forth all night looking at one’s shoes.
Though many exceptions to the rule! I loved watching this guitarist from “Swirl” swinging around the stage then disappearing to adjust the delays and loopers, then jumping up like a maniac and cycloning around the stage again.

1 Like

Big Curve fan here, and a bit of an Alan Moulder train spotter. Any discussion of classic ‘shoegaze’ albums is also a potted history of Alan Moulder’s mixing and production credits between 1989-95.

As to Garbage, my conspiracy theory is that they’re Billy Corgan’s fault. He hired Alan Moulder to mix Siamese Dream after hearing MBV’s Loveless. He wanted that big wall of sound guitar thing. Butch Vig was producer on Siamese Dream. That year Butch Vig formed a band that in 1995 put out a debut album that IMO sounds more than a little ‘inspired’ by Curve, a band regularly mixed by… Alan Moulder (along with Flood).

Butch Vig didn’t produce any more Pumpkins albums, but Flood joined Moulder on Corgan’s follow up to Siamese Dream. Neither albums are shoegaze, but both have that big Alan Moulder soundstage that’s also a big part of the shoegaze sound.

Also disagree on the reverb = shoegaze thing. Loveless is dry as a bone. Maybe reverse reverb = shoegaze.

Here’s some classic late Curve:

1 Like

There any threads around the internets good for that approach to mixing?

Preferably in ethos and technique over “what gear will get me his sound” :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Microtribe @thermionic @Alexaplays @JamesM : thank you for your time in putting me on the right track about the origin/meaning of the term. Ah, that makes sense now - so it’s quite literal in fact. Very funny actually! :laughing: I’d never thought of it that way at all without your pointers!!

1 Like

There are a few interviews with Moulder and Flood where they’re promoting their studio (e.g. here), but I don’t think there’s much out there on approaches to music. One thing they he does talk about is the use of synth filters as part of the mixing process to separate instruments from each other and make sure they’re not cancelling each other out.

Update: just discovered this. Haven’t listen yet but it could be very good indeed.

1 Like

Rudy from AR Kane had an album out a couple of years ago under the name of his new band Jubl.

2 Likes

Not shoegaze per se, but…

1 Like

Thanks for the link.
AR Kane “69” one of my fave albums …was playing “love from outer space” yesterday at work. I special ordered “69” on tape back in the days.

2 Likes

Hugely underrated band

1 Like