Shoegaze thread

The debut by Amusement Parks On Fire sounds very shoegaze inspired:

Yeah, I mean Paramore had a pretty good shoegaze song on some album. Shoegaze is still hugely influential where blur and oasis who sidelined shoegaze actually aren’t anymore.

1 Like

I keep trying to appreciate in some way these guys but…just can’t. :man_shrugging:

Hah,I like them. Well, first couple of albums I guess. Harmless fun.

Certainly. I mean, there must be something to them considering how influential they’ve become.

Everything is not for everyone.

1 Like

For sure,and they’re not my favourite band by any means. Just best of the bunch, what other bands were there… Fallout boy? The black parade whatever? Yeah, not a tough competition, but they’re clearly the winners

Here’s the shoegaze song, wish there was an album of this stuff

1 Like

This post nails it.

Space rock is Hawkwind or Ozrics, very little to do with Shoegaze except use of effects

Anyway that’s my 2c

Nice track befitting the title Shoegaze

2 Likes

Loving this Curve vs Garbage debate.

2 Likes

Everything you have written here resonates quite strongly with me.
The first time I ever heard of/read about the term “shoegaze” immediately brought to mind seeing Dinosaur Jr. & Sonic Youth performing live, usually in Northampton Massachusetts at a club called “Pearl Street”. There was a fairly high raised stage at Pearl Street. So the bands would be spending most of their time staring down at their pedal boards, and occasionally gazing even further down at us in the crowd.

^^ It’s the use of timpani on this album that actually calls to mind “Loveless” to me and the way the drums sound on that album. ^^

I waited & waited & waited & waited for a follow up from MBV to “Loveless”. And in all of that time, as I was beach combing the aisles of vinyl at Newbury Comics, I drifted further & further into oceans of pure sound.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Funnily enough the rest of that album has very little shoegaze influence, it sounds more like what was happening in Seattle at the time. Great album! Too bad they turned into a boring dad rock band after Mezcal Head. Adam Franklin is one of the unsung guitar heroes of the 90s.

3 Likes

In EP 81 of Hanging Out With Audiophiles, Jamie Lidell talks briefly about seeing Alan Moulder mix Curve. It starts around the 37:30 mark.

1 Like

Oh wow, I love Lidell but had no clue he was around the industry that long!

I love gear philosophy talk as much as I dislike gearhead talk :slight_smile:

Edit: Maybe speaking of Damian Taylor. Either way thanks.

Thanks for sharing that Slowdive album… I never bothered with it when it first came out. Mainly because I was so underwhelmed by MBV when it was released and I didn’t want a similar sense of disappointment with Slowdive coming back. Listening now and it seems I was a fool, it’s pretty great sounding. I should probably give MBV another chance…

1 Like

this one is still my favorite

4 Likes

Here’s a hidden gem :gem: the WHOLE album

1 Like

Where I came from in the 90s shoegaze was not a well known terms, it was art frock that became space rock who some called shoegaze.
Although many of the bands are shoegaze, they are space rock as well

Loveless is pretty much the ultimate shoegaze album. I don’t think anything else comes even close, and I do love shoegaze in general.

I’m definitely one of the rare few who think loveless is a little over rated

3 Likes

Says the guy who posts three songs that are really not considered to be shoegaze, hah.