Should I buy a Playstation 5?

There’s a big topic on the Nintendo Switch yet no PS5 thread. (or my search didn’t go so well)
So I guess this could be the PS5 Thread.

Here’s my first question:
I got the Switch OLED a few days now and playing the oldschool games with the 7 day trail.
Looking in the shop searching which games to buy I can only find about 5 or 6 games that I might like playing and that’s about it.

So now I’m thinking about returning it and getting the PS5. I do like the portability of the Switch a lot and maybe some other cool games will come out in the near future but is it worth it over a PS5 though? (I’m not getting both)

You might ask, why buy a Switch if you knew you didn’t like the games? Simple answer: The women at home kept screaming they wanted to play Mario and I thought what the heck let’s try it out and see how I feel about it. Now after trying it out if feel this isn’t really for me. I’ve always been a PS fanboy since the beginning and probably will stay that way.

Should I buy the PS5 and which games should I play first?

The real question is: should you scorn your people at home. :slight_smile:

If I were to buy a PS5 I’d be getting RE4Re, Bloodborne and Outer Wilds immediately. The games you should get depend on the kind of games you like.

You might consider a Steam Deck on which you can run a Switch emulation.

5 Likes

Final fantasy XVI next week too. It’s a console exclusive for 6 months

1 Like

When in doubt, prioritize domestic tranquility.

I’ve got a PS4 Pro connected to a 60” 4K LG. Ghost of Tsushima is mind blowing, and Elden Ring is great. I don’t see a need for a PS5 just yet. I’ve also got the OG switch. I’d like to have an OLED Switch and PS5, but it’s easy to prioritize other fun things with similar costs because the “basic” stuff is damn good.

(Ghost is my wife’s favorite game to watch, and what she considers to be the best video game cinematography ever. She has fantastically high standards.)

2 Likes

Which are the games in did you like? And what games di you like in general?
I got both and both are great. I could name countless games you need to play.

You are not going wrong with either. Ps5 is big and bulky though.

If you wan‘t high end gaming on your TV then of course get a ps5

Elden Ring
Returnal
Dead Space Remake
Last of us part one and two

This will blow you away.

Switch

Zelda BotW and TotK
Mario odyseey
Metroid Dread and Prime
Mario kart, Smash brothers, maker
All the Indie stuff all the rpg pixel stuff

This will also blow you away

2 Likes

If you want to play GTA 6 when it comes out next year. Just been released its only available on PS5 and not PS4 or Switch.

I don’t have a Switch, but I picked up an Xbox Series S back when everything was scarce. The PS5 has kicked that right into the long grass for me. I would say grab a PS5 and get a month of the premium Plus service. Check out what’s there and it’ll help you decide which level is best for you. I don’t regret having the full package at all - I’ve clearly left my game collecting days far behind me. I spend less on the sub than I used to on games (especially at modern prices), and there’s far more stuff that interests me than I’ll ever be able to play. I’ve picked up a couple of sale items along the way, but it hasn’t really been necessary.

I’m not so relaxed about films, but all you need for those is a disc player. I’m past the point where I can keep multiple consoles around to play all the classics authentically, and the PS5 is proving ideal for me.

The correct answer is both.

Either a PS5 or Xbox Series X for the high end stuff

And a Switch for the Nintendo exclusives, the Zelda’s and Mario’s and Metroid’s that you won’t get on any other consoles.

2 Likes

Don‘t go Xbox! I got one too. The Console is great, but there are just no games!

2 Likes

I’m mostly into story driven games and I prefer good graphics.

Games that I loved so far which are also on PS5:

• Uncharted
  • Last of Us
  • Gran Turismo
  • Rachel and Clank
  • Death Stranding
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Detroit
  • GTA
  • Far Cry
  • The Witcher

Zelda doesn’t really do it for me. Please don’t kill me! :smile:

4 Likes

There’s a release date on GTA6? Link please! :slight_smile:

If thats what you like, no question. Get a ps5!

No date yet

Your loss :wink: Man how I wish Zelda had as good a story/writing as Witcher (that’s the only one I’ve played on that list though…)

Depends on how much you have gamed during the last 20 years. As on the Series X, you can play pretty much any game released since the very first xbox. And many of them now run at 60fps.

I would consider the Series X with a proper 120hz VRR display.
PS5 does not support LFC and it’s a major issue in my opinion

I bought a PS5 after not having a PlayStation since the PS2. There’s basically an infinite catalog of amazing big budget games for me to play on this thing. Others have already mentioned most of the heavy hitters, so I won’t go there but I will say that my PS+ subscription paid for itself within two months.

2 Likes

Ah yes the paid subscription. Imo online should’ve stayed free not something behind a paywall.

Got one for my birthday a few months back, had PS3 for years and briefly a PS4 but sold it in between jobs. PS5 graphics are amazing, I only try to play quick matches, as it can turn into a giant time sync and you have nothing to show for it after besides a bad headache for staring at a screen all day. So yes pick one up, but limit to 30-45m max per day, your studio gear misses you…

1 Like

I’m a Playstation fan since '96 so of course I’m going to say yes. But I’m still on PS4 as there are sooooo many amazing games for that which I haven’t played yet. Not enough PS5 games tickling my pickle at the minute. And my TV isn’t modern enough to benefit from the visual upgrades.

1 Like

I don’t play anything online. They give out an insane number of high profile games. I’ll gladly pay $100 or whatever per year for a dozen or more games I’d have bought anyway. I don’t replay most games, so if I lose access if I cancel the sub, I don’t really care. I also never owned the PS3 or 4, it’s an incredible value for me.

Games I got for “free” through the service:

• Ghost of Tsushima
  • Returnal
  • Control
  • God of War ( the 2018 one or whenever)
  • Bloodborne
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • horizon forbidden west
  • Kena
  • Far Cry 5
  • Assassins creed odyssey, origins, Valhalla
  • Deathloop
  • The last of us
  • Uncharted collection
  • Resident evil VII
  • Detroit become human
  • monster hunter world
  • death stranding
  • A ton more that I never would have paid full price for.
3 Likes