Should I buy a Playstation 5?

Yes! This. I have used Xbox for years and have a huge catalogue of games that I may have to kiss goodbye because the platform is f-kin terrible.

1 Like

Def get a PS5, but It sounds like you shouldn’t get rid of the switch since the family is excited about it? Might feel weird trading out something they were interested in only to have them watch you bring home something way more expensive that was only for you. If you wait a bit and get both, they could be playing Mario or Zelda while you’re playing Elden Ring.

Also, by the time you’re done playing through the few games you’re interested in on switch the PS5 slim might even be out, possibly cheaper, or least a few new games will be available (FFXVI, ELDEN RING DLC etc).

Also, definitely add Dark Souls Remastered to the list of games to check out on switch if you haven’t played it already!

4 Likes

I have a catalogue too, but I just don‘t play with this thing. No new games either. Controller feels cheap. Not much to see there. Shure a few old Games and I bought a few games for this thing I should have rather bought on PS!

1 Like

I am thinking I may migrate before Diablo comes out.

2 Likes

I‘ll buy Diablo 5 on PS5 for shure. Thought of PC, but everyone says that it plays well with controller so…

2 Likes

Are you all excited about the new Skate game?

1 Like

Yes to the PS5. No to getting rid of the switch with regard to other family members. Also since you said women rather than wife, I will assume there are kids involved. Switch likely has a benefit here. We don’t have one though. My 7yo daughter loves the PS5, Sackboy’s big adventure, The last campfire, tricky towers (Tetris inspired fun tower building thing) Astro’s playroom - these are some of her favourites. But generally, PS5 content skews older than switch. Also if you’ve avoided PlayStation since the PS2 era or something, play the Naughty Dog back catalogue. There is a game which is uncharted 1,2 and 3… and another which is uncharted 4 and lost legacy. Last of us part 1 and 2 have some of the most incredible gaming experiences I’ve had, although it’s a lot darker than uncharted which are more of a fun blockbuster movie style game. All those naughty dog ones are quite enjoyable for somebody else to watch someone playing, although last of us is definitely not for kids. Oh with regard to storage, many of the good titles are still ps4 games - you can connect any usb hard drive externally and the ps4 games can run off that to save the ssd for ps5 titles. And you can swap out ps5 titles to the hard drive / external ssd, and swap them back in to play, to save re-downloading a 100GB game. So for me despite a vast collection accumulated of free games every month on PS Plus, I haven’t needed to install an expensive extra internal SSD in PS5.

1 Like

PS5 and a normal switch. They are cheaper and Oled is not a must have.

1 Like

2 women actually, one is 18 and already got her a PS4 2 years ago.

Naughty Dog is probably my most favourite game developer. They just know how to write a great story and execute it perfectly. I remember watching Part 4 the entire game on Youtube and didn’t even miss playing that much. :stuck_out_tongue:

I tried Horizon when it came out but couldn’t get into it. A world with robot dino’s is just too weird for me I guess. Wish Guerrilla Games did another Killzone cause that was a shooter I really liked (way more than COD etc)

1 Like

Dead space remake :wink: great

1 Like

Not having a 4k yet was the same reason I waited. But I bought a 55" 4k OLED recently so I’m running out of excuses here.

1 Like

Why spend that much when you could be making music instead? What can playing games get you? Spend that on a new drum machine!! Forget games!!

I’ve got all 3 (Switch/Series X/PS5) and they honestly all have their strengths.

Switch just can’t keep up graphically with the other two, but after playing Tears Of The Kingdom relentlessly this week, it really doesn’t matter. If the Nintendo first party library doesn’t speak to you though, return it. Beyond the portability, Nintendo’s in-house development is why you buy it.

Both PS5 and Series X are powerhouses. Like most people said though, Microsoft is stumbling hard on their first party stuff while Sony has been delivering (even if they’re leaning too hard on remakes, good as they may be).

Gamepass is the great equalizer on Xbox though. While PS Plus has drastically improved with the revamp last year, it can’t hold a candle to Gamepass. The third party support through GP is really what makes it worth it.

If you’re starting from absolute scratch, have no digital library following you and no interest in subscription services , PS5 is the best move.

1 Like

I never get full tracks done, finishing a game however that seems easy doable. :rofl:

1 Like

Oh, as an aside - “Dreams” for PS4 works fine on PS5 and takes advantage of the extra GPU power… it’s this super bizarre creative software, obviously you can make entire games in it but you can ‘paint’ in 3D space to shape and mould caves etc…

Mentioning it here though because as you can create games, you can create music for them too. It has full music production stuff within. Piano roll and samples etc but people have made synthesisers and all sorts of crazy stuff even.

Cheap now, it’s been out for awhile. Blew my mind a bit actually.

Good overview of music in Dreams generally:

Made a semi modular synth with patch cords:

Also, in response to the community one of the devs made a thing on GitHub that gives midi input to Dreams over the network or BLE, I forget which. But anyway you can get proper note entry done.

2 Likes

Steam deck is far superior to a Switch, and besides Zelda its hard to find a title which intrests me as long time gamer. I am probably to deep into soulslike, that i lost intrest in many other generes. Also i like the linux support in Steam Deck, and you dont have to pay twice, you can play it on the couch and also on your desktop pc. Ideal solution, i hope they make a even more powerull device, battery life is not so portable overall, but good enough for the couch.

Elden Ring, Sekiro, Strategy Games, Darksouls all work on the Steamdeck (ok not as fluent as on the PS5, but much cheaper tco)

After getting a Steam deck, I haven’t touched my Switch once (though my use of it fell off like 2 years ago already, paying for online when I already pay for internet is dumb).

Being able to play any of my massive steam library on the deck is great. Though I still play my desktop 95% of the time and the deck only when I’m out and about or the rare case I’m lazing on the couch.

I enjoy mine a lot. Play a lot of GT7 and hell let loose.

1 Like

PS5 and get the PS+ Extra for a year. There are many great games. Spiderman, Returnal, Yakuza series, Death Stranding, Ratchet and Clank, Dead Cells. Just lots of great games. Tons from the PS4 era, all are playable on PS5 - it is backwards compatible.

2 Likes

This one is taking up my time recently
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP6665-PPSA08811_00-TT30000000000000

Open world motorcycle racing. The adrenaline gets me

2 Likes