Should I buy a Playstation 5?

Update: I returned the Switch, Added €25,-, Got a PS5 disk edition.

2 Likes

thats a cheapo

last year, the Steam Deck got me back into gaming after years of no gaming at all…
(PS3 was last console!)

and a few weeks ago, I caved in , and bought a PS5 + PSVR2.

I primarily (80%) got it to play Gran Turismo 7 (w/ wheel) in VR, and its been fantastic.
I did consider getting a gaming PC + VR, but really I wanted a ‘low hassle’ experience, and not regretted that choice.

overall game quality seems really good on PS5, and as mentioned above, PS+ Extra seems good .
(if like me you don’t have an existing games library)

btw: there is a Sony Playstation Showcase event on Wednesday, so hoping for some exciting announcements then.

2 Likes

How is that VR2 set? Is it really worth the money?

for me, I believe its worth it… on a pc, there are cheaper vr headsets, but not with these specs.

the games are evolving (its only been out a few months), so are varied…
I think GT7 is excellent, and I enjoy a few others.
Red Matter 2 has just been released, and frankly, takes it to a new level… really shows what this hardware is capable of… and thats really exciting.

I guess, time will tell how much effort developers put into VR, and into the PSVR2 in particular, but so far, its looking promising.

so yeah, at this price point, its very good (imho).
It’s not perfect, e.g. it’s not as sharp as a 4k monitor, and has some artefacts (some games more than others).
but I dont think there’s any doubting its immersive !

it fools your brain all the time… eg. in GT7 countless times, Ive put my elbow out to rest on cars arm rest/window… only to have it fall, as there is nothing there :laughing:
and it changes gameplay, glancing over to check mirrors, or looking over to see if there is a car alongside you… its natural… also you get a real feeling for hills and drops.

a couple of words of caution for those trying it out:
(tl;drl if you try it out - give it a couple of weeks to get a proper impression )

a) finding sweet spot
it takes a while to get used to finding the sweet spot of the head set (outside this it can look blurry), but after a couple of weeks it becomes second nature.
this is why you’ll hear those new to it, being a bit disappointed by fidelity.

b) motion sickness
those new to VR, need to use in short bursts initially to avoid motion sickness… again once you get used to it, it will disappear. ( I was generally ok, since its the same as flying FPV drones)
there are also some tricks to help this, like turning brightness down.
and also some games are harder than others.
e.g. GT7 I found was absolutely fine, but Call of the Horizon was a bit more challenging, though vertigo didn’t help :laughing:

so yeah, for me, totally worth the money… takes immersion to a whole new level.

2 Likes