Show us your Rack! 19 inch format love

Not really, its like limited modular, synth first, then filters then compression / fx

But you can mix it up…

I use a small Behringer 1 in-4 outs headphone amp to split the signal for parallel effects.

I think I’m gonna buy a 2 in-8 out rackable splitter.

Of course it’s better if you have a patchbay with all the ins and outs routed so you don’t have to flip your rack.

2 Likes

Well its been 6 months since anyone posted here but you guys inspired me and I recently got my own rack up and running and wanted to share my little setup

17 Likes

11 Likes

Oooh! Where did you get that rack if you don’t mind me asking?

1 Like

My starter kit

6 Likes

I got it on etsy from this carpenter:

2 Likes

The dual studio electronics rack is dope. I’d love to hear about your workflow and what kinda sounds are coming out of that setup!

Hi @jjxxnn

Workflow:
Sequencer is either Octatrack or Ableton via the midi interface on an RME Raydat, ‘cos the midi timing is great. No audio goes into Ableton, just midi. I’m leaning far more towards a linear sequencer lately as I’ve had enough of 4 bar patterns, so I’m on the lookout for a linear hardware sequencer such as a Yamaha QY700. Not 100% sure if the Octatrack will survive after that as I’ve recently got an SP-16, which I’m really liking.
Everything recorded straight to stereo on a Sound Devices MixPre-3 via an A&H MixWizard, so I can mute parts in/out, play the fx, etc.
Every couple of months I’ll take the SD card out of the MixPre, put the track in Ableton and have a listen to what’s there. Amazing how much mental clarity you gain by leaving a few weeks between recording and editing / selecting.

I only got the ATC-X a few weeks back, so still discovering it, but all of the various ATC versions are amazing: deep, sharp, clear, dirty, powerful, defined, muscular, alive. A bit like myself really. :joy:

I’ll try and upload a snippet or two next time I get something going with the ATCs. :+1:t3:

Cheers.

2 Likes

The rack frame came first, plucked from a skip bin (the Australian term for a huge open roadside bin outside building sites).

The demise of 19” baffles me. Then again, so does an aversion to menu diving.

10 Likes

How do you feel about your mio?

Nice! Also hello fellow stralian…

2 Likes

Love it. Hesitated for ages. ‘Why spend so much on a glorified midi throughbox?’ But glad I did. I’ve got a DT and DN both running sequencing and program changes through it to 6 outboard sound sources and 2 processors. Once I got it all set up (assigning ports, filtering, etc) I haven’t had to think about midi. Which is what you want.

Most recent:

8 Likes

Thanks. I probably have to give it another look as I have a lot of RTP midi going on now. I havent had great experiences in the past with their stuff, but I seem to be the outlier on that.

MOTU rack mount midi timepiece AV is a great bit of rack mount kit if you just program it from the front panel…

I have one i found for $50 AUD connected to my DT splitting out the 8 midi channels, merging in some other bits of midi data from keyboard mod and pitch wheels from a few of the inputs.

1 Like

I need the ethernet port(s) for RTP, so no go on the motu. Otherwise I would have been all over one a while ago.

Plain and simple. The kawaii mav-8 is my 4 in 8 out midi rack which i recommend if you can find one. No usb midi but im running 5 pin din on everything.

6 Likes

Had a bad experience with an old MOTU. Can’t remember exactly which model - unicorn logo era. I couldn’t get rid of midi echo. Probably just bad luck. But I wasn’t up for any more run around.

Have heard nothing but good things about the Kawai. Just couldn’t land one (i.e. not patient enough).

1 Like

Got a mess of patch cables, but pretty excited about this:

I hadn’t used the modular in a while, but just swapped the TX802 out and put it in the rack. Soon I’m going to rewire everything for the 16 channel mixer but am focusing on recording now and don’t want to be distracted by that chore.

The TX802 should fit at the bottom, but I’m again thinking it might be time to part ways.

5 Likes