Skateboarding thread

Sidewalk (Surfer) magazine was my regular… I was in the background of a few shots in a Mark Channer day out piece in there once, I was at Stockwell when they turned up and started shooting.

1 Like

Plus one on the Blender and Gonz !

1 Like

Haha! in the piece they were saying that councils built a lot of skateparks before Livingstone that were poorly designed with huge flat banks and little transition. Stockwell was (is?) pretty ok, but you probably know Kennington and that’s a perfect description!

2 Likes

Loved sidewalk surfer. Trip to Easons once a month to pick it up and loving life when they had free stickers

1 Like

Yeah, although I only lived local to Stockwell for a year (then moved to Hackney), and it was at the time that the council had resurfaced it with that red top layer that immediately started cracking and leaving bits of gravel everywhere… not its finest hour.

Only went to Kennington once. Very mellow! But also not a great surface.

1 Like

grew up with skateboards and punk rock. at the time, mid 80s/early 90s, the punks were the only group that could fathom the idea of a black kid skateboarding. the tricks were fun - but the lifestyle and social aspect were second to none. i regret nothing… i literally get the feels whenever i see a kid trying to do a trick by themselves. the personal challenge. only thing that comes close is wrapping your head around the OT.

8 Likes

Ok, what im hearing is that I could never land a kickflip so OT is probably not for me… haha

i could prolly 360 flip a double set in less time than it took me to figure out the recorder buffers. i have no further comment on your OT ambitions. god bless.

4 Likes

Punk and Reggae! Good times!

1 Like

The good news is there’s a tutorial in the back of the OT manual. Skateboarding’s much more personal – took me (embarrassingly) two years to learn to kickflip. I’m doing much better with the OT. :laughing:

1 Like

HAHAHAH Tony Hawks Halloween costume…

Larry David HAHAHA :rofl:

6 Likes

No photos of me skating (which is a good thing as I was so bad) but found these two VHS tapes in a clearout and couldn’t resist posting

4 Likes

I loved Freedom Wig. Some great Geoff Rowley footage.

Yeah he was some skater… always liked the scene with the mini ramp on the ocean can’t remember whose part that was though

Skateboarding was everything to me from about 12 to 16 (1984-1988). I used to go to all the street skating competitions (Savannah- where I got to meet Hosoi, Gonzales, Steadham, etc., Jacksonville- where Kona Skatepark was, Augusta, etc.). My 16-year-old is skating now and has gotten pretty good at it. If I can find some video, I’ll post it. I still watch Powell-Peralta videos on YouTube. Back in the day, Gonz was my favorite. A true artist.

3 Likes

He’s getting pretty good IMO

7 Likes

This pandemic winter was rough. I really didn’t get much exercise so this spring I feel like I’m skating with weights around my ankles. But I’m determined to get back in shape so I can do long sessions on the weekends again.

1 Like

No shit right? I wanna snowboard next season if we can…but I have 0 leg muscle, two reconstructed knees. Without that muscle, they’ll explode again. Fuck Covid.

I’m gonna have to put in some serious bike time this summer.

Get this quads solid again before you go hard man. One of my blown knees was blown skating.

just can’t bring myself to throw them away

8 Likes

Yeah, I’m going for long walks, short (painful runs), and tuning up the road bike. Skating is my favorite exercise, but it’s also the most high-impact, and at 43 I need a little conditioning before I can go hard again.