Small keyboard with internal sounds?

Whatsup guys… I’m looking for advice:

I’m currently using a keystep as a midi controller, which is (nearly) perfect as it fits in the keyboard drawer of my desk, has nice keys and actual midi out. I’m not really using the arp or sequencer though, its just used as a keyboard controller for my AR and daw.

I would love to have a similar sized keyboard which contains some internal sounds to sample and mess up in the AR though. I’m not looking for a synth, but something like a tiny, (maybe even lofi sounding) version of a nord stage or something. Do you guys know of something like that? I’m looking for something with more than 4 voices of polyphony, and sounds like piano, e-piano, organ, some synth/pad sounds maybe. Midi out is needed though.

All I could find are the yamaha reface models, which are cool and seem to sound good, but have fairly limited sounds to choose from. Do you guys know any other options?

Yamaha CP Reface perhaps? Or any of the Yamaha Reface series. Pick your sound flavor.

7 Likes

Thanks, and sorry, I wasnt finished typing the last part when you replied… those look nearly perfect indeed, but they seem to be focussed on 1 type of sound each… do you know of anything with a broader palette of sounds?

Perhaps one of the Korg Minilogue or Minilogue XD. Far broader sound palette. Though, I wouldn’t writeoff the Refaces. They sound very good.

2 Likes

Alesis Harmony?
Roland Go Keys?
Behringer MS-1?
Korg MicroKorg?

3 Likes

Looks pretty cool! No midi out though, maybe if I combine it with a usb midi adapter

Sorry, I didn’t check the MIDI.

1 Like

The Reface DX is capable of a wide variety:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdgnuJAp4F3KnGmV9yVsGC27J-Jl1Wttw

1 Like

Roland System 1? Maybe a bit bigger than you’d like though

1 Like

Wow this thing sounds way better than I thought… this might be the one, Ill look into it, thanks!

Searching for some of these I found a whole world of cheap small keyboards I’d never heard of haha… most dont have midi out though. The microkorg is one I never thought about, but could actually be a great option :thinking:

1 Like

I do see the appeal of the system one, but the way it looks is such a turnoff for me (very superficial I know haha)… also a bit large yes.

Korg MicroX has a really nice base ROM sound selection. Compact but larger than a keystep though.

3 Likes

I had never heard of this thing, but it looks very interesting!

Maybe a Mininova if it fits in your keyboard drawer regarding its size?

1 Like

Korg Micro X worth every penny.Super Deal. Multi timbral: 16 parts! You have pretty good internal effects, short but rather good keyboard. No aftertouch, though. You can find one for 200-250$

2 Likes

There’s more interesting options than I thought… I’ll look at a second hand micro x… I like the layout of this thing

1 Like

plus it has some serious basses, great-cheap synth pads (think Legowelt), great fx sounds and a lot of (good) drum kits

2 Likes

Oh, yeah, I agree. The concept is great but it has a very “gaming laptop from 2010” look about it. Also, the keybed isn’t that great, imo, I tried one in a store once; it feels cheap, certainly not as good as a Keystep. Out of the options in this thread that I’ve tried I’d say the Yamaha Refaces have the best keys- a really surpisingly nice action for minikeys.

2 Likes

Yamaha PSS-A50. Quite cheap. Many sounds. Keys same quality as reface. Check connections though - midi is on usb

3 Likes