Solid State Logic .. SSL Big SiX

Yeah that bud compressor is quite something. I have it turned off by default but since I’m on a route of recording into a stereo file and that’s it, I definitely will be using it as a final touch to my recordings. It’s great in how it doesn’t destroy the sound at all. It really enhances it and you can simply choose how much of that nice taste you want :slight_smile:

So would assume “some units” means units from earlier production run?

I assume some units means all the units so far and only some people are noticing depending on their setup, what they have hooked up, how they are using it, etc. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Since it’s a PSU issue it could also be related to the mains frequency.

1 Like

Hey guys!

Just wanted to say thanks to yall.
This thread is just amazingly detailed. SSL owes you quite a few quids. Basically, you just outperformed their customer service.

Great ideas. Great replies. Best info out there.

Will keep an eye out on this very thread. This PSU thing is somewhat alarming, and probably more industry-wide than we think.

11 Likes

I’m away from my Big SiX for a few days - is there a way to route a specific USB channel out of Bus B? I’ve already used up my Cues but am not using Bus B for anything. Hoping to just send a pulse out to a ERM Multiclock rather than needing to aggregate another audio interface.

Sure. By pressing the “mute button” on the channel strips 1…12 you can route the channel audio output to bus b (instead of the main bus). The signal is then send to usb 13/14 and also available at the external bus b ports on the backside of the console.

3 Likes

Ahh right, I suppose I was hoping for a way to do so without overriding my input routing. Thanks though - appreciate it!

There is a second weird thing of routing. If you are using an external monitor controller (which handels audio levels send to your monitor speakers) connected to the B6 main outs and maybe also to bus b outs, the B6 internal monitor section is freed up. So you could send the ERM multiclock ticks from the DAW to the B6 via USB13/14 or 15/16 directly to the monitor section and route this signal immediate to Main Monitor Out which is connected to the ERM clock input.

1 Like

Regarding the monitor section…

I’ll be installing a new Big Six into my space this weekend and I’m trying to think through how best to do things. Prior to this, I’ve been using an Apollo x8p for my primary interface and a Coleman Speaker Switcher as my primary volume control for my monitors. I had been thinking I’d start using the SSL as my primary volume control for monitoring for both the Apollo and the SSL, but then I started thinking through how I’ll be using both the SSL and the Apollo and it might make more sense to have them both feed the Coleman. How have folks with multiple interfaces decided to route monitoring?

From what I’m reading, I’ll need to choose one or the other as the primary audio interface of choice in Logic/Ableton and then work accordingly. I’m curious to know about how folks with secondary audio interfaces are choosing to work. Are you flip-flopping from one to the other based on task, ie: summing/tracking? Are you moving towards letting go of your older audio interface?

It’s been a long time since I had to think through this amount of flexible routing potential, so there’s a lot of scenarios that haven’t even begin to occur to me. My apologies in advance for questions that seem simplistic.

You could also create a aggregate device to use both interfaces at the same time.

It might introduce some latency so you will have to try it out and see if it works for you, but many people use it successfully.

1 Like

My Big Six doesnˋt seem to be noisy, but it has the DC offset when using the ADC and what is really annoying: The recordings of the 4 stereo tracks are Phase reversed compared to the Main Mix and Bus B!
Now I’m asking myself if it’s just my unit or a common problem?

i was told there is a firmware update in development to address USB tracks recording out of phase, i believe this occurs across all units (but not 100%).

2 Likes

Ah, thanks. That means I at least don’t have to return my BS (which I really like besides those known flaws).
So I’ll try to patiently wait for an update….

Anyone had an update from SSL on this yet? I have not heard from them but someone on another forum said that SSL told them it is something wrong with the phantom power units causing the issues and that the parts and instructions for modification will be sent to the respective country distributors to repair them… starting to feel like I shouldn’t have been an early adopter :fearful:

3 Likes

Ah that’s good. I noticed this as well.

Hello and thanks to all. I got more answers here than with distributors or SSL.
I thought I’d share my experience as well.

I received my first BSIX in January with an unpleasant, audible, rhythmic, continuous ticking sound on the speakers. I have tried to unplug everything (even usb) except power supply and monitors and still get the noise. I tried with different monitors, different cables (balanced) and still get the noise.

I returned the unit to the distributor. It was Thomann at the time. They told me they could not hear the pb. So I asked for a refund, which they did give me.

I ordered a second unit on the WOODBRASS website and I asked them to test the unit before sending it to me. The second unit came in with the same problem + a new issue : the master compressor LEDs were all lit up like if the compressor was working at full although the compressor was switched off and there was no sound going through the BSIX. :sob:
I did send back the second unit to the SSL representative in France.
I did wait for a couple of weeks and received an answer yesterday : SSL took the decision to change the unit. I will get a replacement by the end of the month.

I will let you know if it works this time…

Video of the pb. In french sorry…

1 Like

insane… keep us posted pls…
I guess atm it’s better to hold on and see how they carry all those issues.

This unit needs more quality control.

If I was in the market in this range I’d seriously consider a Neve summing mixer and 500 series lunchbox instead.

I got a reply from SSL that sounded a bit thin so I reached out to my reseller Vintage King to begin the process of covering my bases… This is my first “big boy” mixer and it for sure is nice. The clicking however, not so nice.

SSL reply:
Thank you for contacting SSL.

We’ve recently become aware of this issue affecting a small number of users with certain studio configurations. Our hardware engineers working to resolve the issue as a matter of urgency; we’ll keep you updated as the situation progresses.

Sincerely,