Solid State Logic .. SSL Big SiX

Odd, I had this happen once. Turned out to be my phone which was charging from a powered USB hub connected to my laptop. The phone was lying behind the SSL on the cables. As soon as I removed the phone, the clicking stopped. Other than that never heard any noise or clicking etc.

Itā€™s the power brick on mineā€¦ (at least that is my conclusion) If you put the brick to your ear you can hear the same clicking pattern and humming. Took the whole unit to another part of the house with none of my other gear around or on. Same thing. For the price I would have liked to have seen a more commonly used supply like a Meanwell. I will give it a bit longer to see what shakes out but I am glad Vintage King has taken over for sorting the issue for me.

Yeah must be it for me as well but so far no impact unless I put my phone there for some reason. Indeed stranden that didnā€™t go for a solid psu like that yeah.

I think the problem is not the power supply (which IS noisy), but more so the fact that the phantom power units are causing the noise from it to be audible in the mixer under certain configurations. So changing the power supply helps right now, but I imagine the mixers will all need to be serviced. At least this is my understanding after reading through all the forums I could find (according to another forum SSL is working on a field-retrofittable fix which they hope to be able to provide imminently).

I wish an actual SSL rep would respond and tell us all what is going on.

6 Likes

Iā€™m too very annoyed that SSL is so uncommunicative about this. Also the desks keep getting sold in their current stateā€¦why donā€™t they order these units back from stores to fix their current stock first?

4 Likes

Using a different set of monitors I now hear clicking when the fader is set to high volume. I have sent a ticket to SSL, now considering buying one of these 3rd party PSUs, sadly theyā€™re not cheap!

I have an extra good PSU I could part with for cheap (if you are in the US). I bought a couple to try out with the big six and they all worked and now I have more than I need. If you are interested just PM me.

1 Like

thanks for the offer, sadly Iā€™m not in the states otherwise I would have taken you up on it.

hope you donā€™t mind me asking a few questions about these PSUs, just wondered out of the XP Power ALM120PS24 and the Delta MDS-090AAS24 BA, which would you recommend?

the XP over here is much more expensive, but I suppose, if itā€™s quieter then in the long run it will be worth it. also, any ideas what the cord lengths are for each power supply? I canā€™t seem to find this out looking at the specs. thanks !

1 Like

I would just do the delta, there is not much difference in noise and the xp cord is really almost unusably short.

2 Likes

I got the Delta because it was much cheaper and it was a night and day difference from the OEM.

edit: I mean much less expensive.

Thanks for the advice @HBIII @mas_akala.
Iā€™ve just picked up the Delta from Mouser, hopefully this will resolve my issues.

Has anyone tried running the B6 into a pedal board through one of the sends and then back into one of the mono channels? Iā€™m getting an enormous amount of noise running through a Radial Reamp into my pedal board. Iā€™ve tried balanced and unbalanced cables. Perhaps this is the final kick I need to get a new power supply?

Edit: got if figured out - just needed to press in the Ground button on my Radial Reamp!

2 Likes

I meanwhile got response from SSL regarding my Phase-issues and DC-Offset when using the USB recording. Those issues will definitely be fixed with a firmware update which should be released soon (first for windows and a bit later for Mac).

3 Likes

They told me soon 3 months ago.

And I use a Mac, so I wonder what kind of extra wait I am in store for.

You could borrow a friends notebook to do the update and then continue recording with your Mac.
I personally donā€™t care which OS gets addressed first. I just wish there would be a bit of progress. Iā€™m not a coder but it shouldnā€™t be too hard to flip the stereo-tracks phases and eliminate the dc-offset with a high pass filterā€¦

1 Like

Great idea. Iā€™m not sure I know anyone who uses PC anymore, but I might be able to sneak the Big Six into a Best Buy for a few minutes to update it.

2 Likes

Anyone managed to buy one of these Delta power supplies here in the UK?
I just had this weird message from Mouser

Turns out itā€™s due to some Brexit bullshit lol

"Thank you for your Online Order from Mouser Electronics. Unfortunately there is an issue with part number: 108-MDS-090AAS24BA on your order, we are unable to sell this part to Personal Customers in your region. This is due to the CE restrictions on this part.

We will be able to supply this part if you are able to provide a valid VAT number if you are ordering on behalf of a Company, otherwise we will have to remove this part from the order, and look into supplying an alternative part that is not similarly restricted.

I look forward to hearing from you and releasing the order."

SSL contacted me again regarding a release date for the firmware update:
ā€œWe are nearly there but I suspect it wonā€™t be distributable this week. More to follow soon.ā€

2 Likes

So retrofit for the 4 mic pre channels w/phantom power.

I would assume this service is to be done by authorized repair center? Not a modular console, would require disassembly of the entire board- all knobs off the face, etc.

My clicking comes from a Moog Sub25. When I pull out the power plug of it, the clicking goes away. Same for my two REV2. My Ob-6 and my Moog Minitaur doesnā€™t do that. :frowning:

However, I was able to reduce the clicking volume significantly (but itā€™s still there) by using the analog inputs XLR instead of the line inputs.

EDIT: I just now reduced the clicking a bit more by putting a long energy cable from the SSL B6 to a different room. The clicking is still there but now I need to put the knobs all the way up to hear it.