Solid State Logic .. SSL Big SiX

How do I ground a MacBook Pro? I never heard about this. I had pro soundcards by RME and Focusrite before, they never needed this grounding issues.

thank you.

I also wanted to mention briefly. How cool it is how many of you here are all giving to help the community. If I could hand out a medal to all of you… I would. THANK YOU!!!

okay… i am thinking about this solution:

Plug the analog master output into the analog stereo input on the rear panel with a cable in 11/12. And in between sits the Fusion and Bus+. Than record the 11/12 with the daw.

Can this break the mixer if I plug the mixer into itself?
Has anyone here already done this?

Edit: this make no sense because I can’t listen to the signal of 11/12 during I mix. hmmm… perfect would be a switch to put the insert after the main comp. but we don’t have it.

1 Like

Took them 4 days here and the kit is on its way. I suspect that they get a lot of requests and simply lack the manpower to follow through quicker than this.

3 Likes

my kit arrived. has anyone refixed their boards yet? I seem to be missing the identification sticker that you’re supposed to place on the back of the unit, otherwise I think I’m good to go.

1 Like

it would be great if you do a video or some pictures. :innocent:

thank you

Maybe iam misunderstanding your problem and/or the Big Six. But couldnt be the solution for your problem (you want to compress the drum group through Bus Comp and then it should be fed into the Master where it all gets another treatment by your Insert):

Just connect ST Cue 1 to Ext 1, (dont forget to not fed Ext 1 into St Cue 1 so dont push this button), and then press Ext 1 button on the Master strip.
(St Cue 1 to Bus Comp and Sum to Master must be switched on of course)

?

1 Like

The fix is very easy and this is coming from someone who is easily confused as I don’t have a mechanical mindset. I’m going to use my desk today after having only just switched it on, but I noticed an immediate improvement. I had all the faders set at extremely high volume and engaged the main inserts to see if there was noise and it was very quiet. Hopefully there will be no issues during tracking.

3 Likes

And here’s a shot of the B6 without trims for those wanting more desktop room. I might leave them off.

3 Likes

for me there is a constant noise in the monitors even with all faders at 0.
i’m not looking for an improvement, i’m looking for that noise to disappear.
would you say its now gone entirely?

I received the retrofit this morning and will try and install tonight, will update.

2 Likes

I should have emphasized my comment regarding ‘immediate improvement’ was regarding comparing it to the medical grade power supply as the stock one was terrible. I installed it this morning, did a quick test as mentioned in my previous post and it was better than the medical PSU which was already pretty good. I’ve only had 5 minutes use time, but I think it’s done the trick

3 Likes

Does anyone know if the buttons on the big six can just be pulled off? My bus compressor button is angled quite a bit to the right and it is starting to get annoying. I am wondering if I can just pull it off and try to adjust/reseat it or something, but I don’t want to make it worse by breaking it :-O. I was thinking about trying to take a look at what is going on when I did the retrofit, but from fattyparts photos it looks like I still would not be able to get in there…

retrofit installed, all working as expected.

3 Likes

My retrofit kit is on the way. Since I still use the original PSU I would love to know: Is there still a noticable difference with the medical grade PSU versus the original one after installing the kit?

ignore these posts if you read them, i tried my Presonus in another desk and the hum was present, so it’s an issue with them or my cabling.

therefore, SSLs retrofit has resolved the PSU noise in monitors issue for me.

4 Likes

The presonus monitors (eris series specifically) are known for their hum, so I doubt it is your cables :-). By the way, where are you all located where the retrofit kits came so fast?

1 Like

UK based

1 Like

Good question, i’ll dig it out and see if there’s any difference. The stock psu doesn’t fill me with much confidence.

2 Likes

UK as well.

1 Like

I did a quick unscientific comparison between the Fida and Delta PSUs and they seemed the same to my ears - both very quiet unless faders are set to max, in which case you get some hiss but that’s normal to hear when set to extreme levels. any internal noise from the PSU has gone.

5 Likes

Good news. Thanks a lot for checking!

2 Likes