[SOLVED] Any way to really hard-reset the Rytm (OB stuck measuring)?

Hi.

I’m trying to track down an issue which is really causing me some problems.

Without going into detail, the control panel appears to change settings on the Rytm itself I reckon. E.g., changing the device name is maintained on the Rytm and stays constant if moving to another Overbridge host.

Factory reset isn’t clearing this setting.

Is there a way to factory reset so that this, along with the settings I think are causing me problems are cleared? Standard Factory Reset (hold function and use trig 3) aren’t working.

Thanks!

I’ve read this a few times now and fail to grasp the issue you’re experiencing. What device name? And what issue is this causing?

As-in being able to change the device name from “Analog Rytm” to something else, or back to the default. It’s possible to change in the control panel, but that’s not the issue I’m chasing. My hypothesis is - if that’s being maintained on the unit through a factory reset, the I/O per host Mac is possibly also being maintained.

I have what looks like an over allocated I/O, but the system isn’t letting me set back to fewer I/O allocation. No number of input and output channels will take. It’s OK on an older Mac and also on Parallels on the same Mac, running Mojave.

Seems, i have the same problem with my RYTM Mk1 under Monterey M1 Pro.
I’ve addressed the issue in the beginning of August, unfortunately the support wasn’t able to find a solution yet.
It’s frustrating tbh…

Thanks! I’m amazed that no-one else is seeing this. Maybe only a few people are using Rytm Mk1 with Overbridge on new OSes?

Same machines running Mojave under parallels, hosting Overbridge work OK.

Support were talking to me, now they’ve gone silent.

At least we’re two now haha.

But yeah, i sent all my logs, every description i could… last message i received is 6 weeks ago.
Also the latest OB version doesn’t change anything: looking at the ‘OB Engine’ window, the RYTM stays in ‘measuring’ mode - which seems to be the main problem.

1 Like

I spent a whole day on Sunday trying to narrow this down, but I’d need to know where and how those channel settings are stored to have half an idea.

Very interesting that it’s also happening on an M1 though. Both my machines are Intel.

It’s super awkward, as it stopped working from one day to another.
I have access to an older iMac running under Catalina - no issues there.
But when i connect it again to my MacBook: measuring…
I’ve also tried it with another MacBook, basically with the same hardware/OS specifics and it wouldn’t work there either.

Not long ago I had a problem with my rytm mk2 and found the reset to be useless too. Had to send it to elektron.
Any Information on an actual hard reset that really hard resets would indeed be nice.

ever tried to unplug usb port and take an other one?
reinstall all software, overbridge anything!
also check firmeware update lates one?
turn of the device and restart mac + connect after reboot booth devices…

i´ve messed up sometimes while i reset mac or it went into sleepingmode on mac os…
maybe do this step by step and try again!
messuring seems like an softwarebugg… and i allways make it work again!

hope this helps,
best ox

I’ve used all the USB ports on 3 different Macs, with and without Overhub and/or USB2.0 hubs. Multiple USB cables too.

Reinstalled firmware, overbridge install and uninstall, factory reset, taken latest versions of everything. Turned on in every order.

Like I mentioned above “I spent a whole day on Sunday trying to narrow this down”.

I’m a software engineer by day, used to fault-finding, albeit usually with the code at my disposal to modify. So, pretty sure I’ve tried everything I can think of.

I do wonder if (some of) the settings on channel config are stored on the Rytm itself, along with the device name which you can change in the Control Panel.

Otherwise, I can’t find the config anywhere. I’ve been trawling through the plist files trying to find it.

If they’re stored on the Rytm, maybe they’re keyed to USB ID at the host Mac end? That might explain why sometimes, changing the USB connection to another port sometimes works?

Hey there.

so last night i went in again to waste some more time, trying to make it work and: i succeeded. lol

I found some previous OS and OB versions on my hard drive, backed up all my projects, samples and sounds through Transfer and tested some of the combinations.
Apparently OS.1.61B and OB 2.0.60.2 pushed the RYTM back into idle/active mode.
After, I updated again to the latest OS and OB version and it seems fine now.

In case you want to try, find those old versions in my dropbox:

Cheers.

thanks for your suggesstions. i tried all of these before with no success, but seem to have found a way now.
(see comment above). fingers crossed it stays like this :slight_smile:

Great! Thanks! I did start down the road of trying to find legacy drivers etc., but you’ve saved me the trouble there. I’ll let you know. :+1:

1 Like

Just going back to those versions, hasn’t helped.

What order of installs/uninstalls did you go through? Did you reboot between uninstall and reinstall?

I started with OS1.60A and OB2.0.39.10, but the RYTM wouldn’t be recognized via OB at all.
then i tried OB2.0.53.2 - also not recognized. Then i updated the OS and OB, as i had tagged them two years ago as running combo.

I only rebooted after install/uninstall when the installer asked for it, but also switched the RYTM on/off with every reboot.

Will copy older versions to the dropbox as well.
Good luck!

Definitely stuck measuring on the versions you posted above. :confused:

Dang:/
So tricky.
Let me add every single version I currently have, in the hopes one of them will help you.

:slight_smile: Thanks!

I do wonder if it’s the Rytm firmware or the Overbridge side that’s causing the blockage…?