SOMA ORNAMENT-8 Organismic Sequencer

That’s what I thought. :ok_hand:t2:
Don’t need/want another sequencer.

Thanks all.

Gate sequence only though. Scroll up for the details.

When I finally do get a new job, the majority of my first paycheck will be gone, lol.

I’ve got miRack to stave off my GAS for a Eurorack system, so it’ll save me some money for the short term.

The Ornament-8 adds some options for Lyra-8 behavior that were not there before. Even if the sequencing is gate-only, there seems to be reasonable flexibility regarding control over gate time/length. Definitely want, and the adapter too.

That’s an excellent way to not have synthesizer time stopped by the call of nature.

2 Likes

ciat lonbarde for the 21st century

I am actually kind of more interested with how people might end up using this with eurorack… I suppose its nature is more so a gate sequencer but the way they talk about the voltage filling up like water is also a bit like attack envelopes, combine it with another sequencer doing CV pitch you might find some really interesting melodies.

3 Likes

link, plz

3 Likes

Right. You could clip directly onto the Lyra’s touch sensors from the Ornament’s posts and get the same effect. If you do that, though, you risk damage to the touch sensors. This dingus lets you make those connections without scratching anything up. I have a custom version for my Pulsar, and I can tell you that the quality is top shelf, with the magnets holding it on securely, while the substitute touch sensors are fully as responsive as the originals underneath.

1 Like

Oi, this is tripping me out. I’m currently reading Chaos by James Glieck, and Vlad is mentioning some concepts that come straight from chaos theory. For example, sensitive dependence on initial conditions. I’m definitely interested in this device, but I’m not sure how best I’d be able to use it. I’d love it if it had banana jacks, but at least it’s not too difficult to connect an alligator clip to a banana cable.

SOMA are certainly on a roll right now.

2 Likes

I totally agree. I want one bad, of course, but I just don’t see using it much with the Pulsar because I jam on the Pulsar live with my velocity sensitive Zendrum MIDI controller to add much more expressivity to the Pulsar than its limited onboard dynamics can provide. I also have a custom accessory that plays the Pulsar’s triggers from a hand-shaped configuration of touch sensors for naturally fingerdrumming multiple loopers simultaneously. The Ornament doesn’t sequence dynamics as far as I can see–a major downside for me. Sure, the Ornament will enhance the Pulsar’s rather square clock dividers, but I have one of Mark Lentczner’s Pulsar Buddies to help with that, and I pretty much never sequence the Pulsar anyway, just jam on it via MIDI while wiggling it.

I see the Ornament as a lot more fun with the Lyra-8, which otherwise requires constant attention, or else even the most wack sounds go stale. It’ll be great to modulate the Lyra this way to free up hands to do other things–and also to end the damn finger-licking. I love the Lyra, but I don’t use it enough.

3 Likes

Shit that’s cool. Been holding out on Lyra. Might be time

Did you see the Soma Quantum Ocean?

The booklet it comes with is a bit of a trip and likely right in line with your current readings

1 Like

Vlad of SOMA is like Sun Ra and Moondog. Sun Ra and Moondog were not normal humans of this Earth and simply refused to behave or live like normal humans - didn’t matter who called them stupid or crazy or how many people did that. Moondog lived every day in the streets of NYC - not hard to imagine what kind of abuse he was subjected to everyday, dressing and acting the way he did. He must have had cojones of adamantium.

4 Likes

They should! I soiled myself when I got the Pulsar!

2 Likes

Actually it’s awesome in a dj set. He ain’t gone no tarded. It’s an excellent device. Use at your own discretion. I love it.

1 Like

I agree, gov’na. Peace.

Wow someone didn’t understand me at all!

Btw… nice to see Soma going forward

1 Like

That solves my band name problem

4 Likes

“So, are you excited about the new Soma?”

“Depends.”

6 Likes

I’d say this looks great but I honestly haven’t got a clue what’s going on with it.

1 Like