SOMA ORNAMENT-8 Organismic Sequencer

Manual is up on the site. As with most of Soma’s designs, gets deep and convoluted pretty quick.

2 Likes

Been thinking about this. The “fill” amount of the “bucket” seems to be tied to cv 0-10volts. This means I could possibly control other cv gear using this info. Never used cv before.

How would you go about converting this signal into something more useful? Seems most cv gear inputs want 0-5?

Given cv is usually 3.5mm TS jacks, how does one convert the single line? I am guessing that one contact is ground?

1 Like

Alright looks like you can purchase the Lyra adapter for $40. My question is if I can send trigger/gates from my euro sequencers? I know you can connect an alligator clip to a patch cable, but will euro emit enough to open the vcas on Lyra?

No, because the adapter is not designed to send voltage into the Lyra. I’ve answered this already here.

But you can build some switches controlled by CV which open and closes ground connections.

2 Likes

Geez, how did I overlook that. Thanks buddy

1 Like

The Cirklon has an S-trig mode for CV outs (S-trig “short-to-ground” (Moog-type) gate output).

I’m guessing this might work with the Lyra adapter?
Think it’s worth a punt, so I think I’ll order one to see.

1 Like

Yes, any device which can generate S-trigs will work. It’s the same principle of just a passive switch-to-ground, but you need to make sure that both devices share the same ground.

There also exists adapter cables which can convert v-trigs to the required s-trigs.

2 Likes

Someone attempted to simulate this in VCVRack. Unfortunately he doesn’t zoom in on any section of his rather extensive patch. I just don’t have sharp enough eyes to pick out all the modules used, or more importantly, what exactly is connected to what.

But maybe his words will be enough for a good listener to parse wth he’s talking about.

2 Likes

The amount of connections/cables is insane!

Unfortunately he doesn’t zoom in on any section of his rather extensive patch.

One could instead download .vcv patch files from Artem Leonov, aka “VCV Rack Ideas”, after subscribing his Patreon page.

But as Vadim Minkin, creator of Ornament-8, points out it is difficult to emulate features of those pin rows that cater CV Out, CV In, PASS and X2 with classic Eurorack tools.

圖片

Several live performances by Vadim Minkin, enjoy!

3 Likes

He didn’t show much imo! All those cables for what? Two-note loop?

I’m digging these performances. Thanks!

How much does the Ornament actually add to the Lyra8? All of the demos on youtube are esoteric to say the least, hah.

I’m contemplating between buying an Ornament or a DFAM, and while I really like Soma devices I can only afford either one.

I would say get the DFAM, they make a lovely pair.

It might just be me, but sequencing the Lyra (however esoterically) feels like missing the point of it a bit.

2 Likes

Yeah, I watched a few more videos and the Ornament seems more like controlled chaos, which I’m honestly not that fond of with synthesizers. I’ll do the chaos with no-input pedal chains and contact mics. Just posted on a local synth group that I’m looking to buy a DFAM.

1 Like

I sold my DFAM (like a knobhead), but will be buying another one eventually. Some of the best stuff I made was with just the Lyra and DFAM.

1 Like

Another vote for DFAM to go with Lyra.

They sound so good together, the voicing is just right.

This weekend we had the DFAM patched in through the Lyras input, to make use of Lyra effects. Straight to the bass amp. Hench.

2 Likes

Yeah, DFAM through Lyra FX was NICE when I still had the Lyra. Don’t see much of a point with sequencing it. I did some experiments with patching from DFAM CV outs to the Lyra CV ins and some of it returned pretty interesting sounds and loops.

Seems like this wasn’t posted yet.

Tutorial Part 2 (Euclidean rhythms, Synchronisation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVb8TTxIiVQ