SOMA ORNAMENT-8 Organismic Sequencer

This thing is crazy…

Pulsar+Ornament

22 Likes

That might be the best minute of music I’ve ever heard.

3 Likes

Glad you liked it…It’s really crazy. I can’t take the cables off! I could easily spend days tweaking things.

2 Likes

You carry on like this and you’ll end up famous mate.

1 Like

No, you’re crazy. In the best possible way.

Seriously, that’s some mindblowing stuff you’re luring out of the Pulsar. AGAIN!

I don’t know how you do it but you just seem to take all these complex instruments in stride and make them your own. Some serious talent on display here! Immensely impressive!

1 Like

Woah! That is seriously cool… it’s like some big ass angry wasps that wants to kill you

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s a nice compliment!

But truly a very deep instrument. Lots of trial and error for sure. It took a couple of hours to tune that bass though :slight_smile:

@Fin25, oh no please, then I should stop doing this…

@MichaalHell, I didn’t expect that sound from the Pulsar.

3 Likes

I think the Ornament didn’t get the credit it deserved. I have mine arriving in a few days, bought it secondhand for 540 ship included. After seeing the whole tutorial series, I can’t wait to pair it with my Pulsar. I think the possibilities of creating rythms on the fly and modifying them by turning the TIME knob of modulating it (given that you took the time to pre-prepare a patched environment flexible enough) is HUGE. It will probably work best with Pulsar than with Lyra.
Seriously, the tutorial made my head ache just thinking about the possibilities. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxg5Hb4aeTR8pyKSYoJh5-m308jHeUMWU

2 Likes

I really love it. It has a physical quality. Pretty hard to explain it. So simple but very deep at the same time. I’ve been thinking of getting a second one.

2 Likes

Any owners here?

I’m contemplating getting one, I dived in to the videos and I finally started to understand it…

I managed to snag a Nord drum 1 for a silly price and figure that using a ornament 8 to trigger that and my pulsar might be fun…

As I see understand it this is the only sequencer that can do extensive feedback patching. I’ve been trying to make a sequencer network of sort in eurorack but I haven’t really gotten the results I want…

So, how are people liking Ornament 8? Pros and cons, grievances etc.

1 Like

I’m a fan of the Ornament. It’s so versatile, not just as a sequencer, it’s also a perfect device to integrate all different instruments into a setup. I have a Lorre Mill Double Knot, Soma trio, Syntrx and Octatrack for now and it’s a perfect hub for this setup. For example, I can send some non-linear feedback patterns from my Double Knot into it, then take these patterns and make another patterns with the Ornament then spread them to other devices or even to itself… It’s a living instrument, an analog computer.

Cons… well, to be honest it feels like a DIY project :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, i really enjoy that aspect of pulsar 23z Modulating everything with everything basically. Its sure is an interesting concept

2 Likes

Here’s my first patch sequenced by Ornament-8. Sounds are from Pulsar and a few euro drum modules.
I’m loving this thing so far, it’s a nice change of perspective from my good old Digitakt.

8 Likes

That’s great!

You should share it on the Pulsar thread as well.

1 Like

I’ve been experimenting with the Ornament-8 recently. I’ve had it for a while but found it to be a bit intimidating. Once you get into it though, it’s similar to all of Soma’s devices in that it really encourages you to play and experiment and stumble across magic.

Edit:

Here’s two more of my latest experiments with Ornament-8… another with the Pulsar-23…

The other using Ornament-8 to trigger voices from the Squarp Rample in Eurorack:

and my overview:

2 Likes