Sonic state review of the Analog Keys

Nick takes a close look on the Analog Keys.

in the flesh! :slight_smile:

Mixed review. I have a feeling he wanted to like it but was aggravated by certain things- like the small screen. Here’s what Nick didn’t say that needs to be said.

AS far as the screen goes, with such a complex instrument it was a mistake by Elektron to include such a small LCD at this price point. This instrument is priced at a flagship level, their most expensive piece in their history. Many potential users are older than 40- and this is the stage of life where the eyes start to diminish. I get the feeling most of the guys who work at Elektron are in their 20’s and 30’s who have no idea what is in store for them in 10-15 years. Let me tell you- when you need bifocals to operate and program your synth it tends to not inspire confidence in a youthful, fresh-feeling approach to studio music making and even worse if playing out live.

I can tell he really wanted to like the A4 keys and stated in sounded great. But the workflow hobbled by such a small screen were not exactly his cup of tea.

Dude, calm down about your eyes. You’re giving yourself old age here.
My father is 68 years old and he operates keyboard with absurdly small screens all the time, no glasses. Feeling young I think is more important.
That said I’m only 21… so for this comment I might go blind or something lol.
On an unrelated note, your avatar image is awesome.

My muscle memory is becoming stronger with the A4 and I find myself staring at the screen less.

A great option is a screen magnifier. I know there’s smaller ones being made for mobile phone users in the car with GPS etc but it might not be a terrible solution if you don’t mind the clunky appearance.

edit: LOL @ nick turning the encoder with the side of his palm to get a “smooth filter sweep” Nobody told him that they were PUSH encoders? :confused:

Didn’t realize the keys are exposed underneath. I can see people breaking them. I would prefer dust underneath if it meant they were protected.

I’m going to say I agree, cleaning under with a spray air cleaner is no big deal. Breaking a key mid-set. That’s awful

I’m going to say I agree, cleaning under with a spray air cleaner is no big deal. Breaking a key mid-set. That’s awful[/quote]

When I had a chance to play the Analog Keys at NAMM I thought that the case and keys design was quite stunning. It didn’t seem as a weakness in design. This keyboard will be a unique device that stands out in your studio.

You’ll have the same amount of risk breaking off the joystick/modwheels or knobs on any other synth for that matter.

Dude, calm down about your eyes. You’re giving yourself old age here.
My father is 68 years old and he operates keyboard with absurdly small screens all the time, no glasses. Feeling young I think is more important.
That said I’m only 21… so for this comment I might go blind or something lol.
On an unrelated note, your avatar image is awesome. [/quote]
I definitely feel young and your father is obviously an exception if he doesn’t need reading glasses. I can’t read the OT screen without my reading specs. It’s what happens for many when they pass 40 or so. It’s a real pain in the ass. maybe you will be lucky like your dad…or maybe you won’t have the need of them because by the time you’re that age you will be suspended in a fluid pod connected directly via your cerebral cortex to the matrix and will have no idea at all that you actually need reading glasses in the real world… :wink:

good review… probably would have been a little better if he spent a few more months with it

some of the things he mentioned are a non-issue once you learn the shortcut keys

as far as the little screen, I really think elektron should put a bigger/better LCD in all their gear…why not?

it is true you may not use it as much once you have muscle memory on all the shortcuts but that doesn’t mean it isn’t useful and warranted

that didn’t stop me from getting an A4 though :wink:

I think getting older definitely had an effect on Dave Smith and his decision for theta big nice OLED screen on the Tempest. That unit keeps calling my name despite its well-known limitations with midi and such.

Doesn’t use the PUSH encoders results in parameters jumps (values of +/- 10) instead of a smooth incremental transition? So the push encoders would defeat the idea of a smooth filter sweep.

This can’t be the first time Nick has used an Elektron, is it? I haven’t used the AK or A4, but the push encoders and sequencing seem relatively universal across all devices.

I’m going to say I agree, cleaning under with a spray air cleaner is no big deal. Breaking a key mid-set. That’s awful[/quote]

When I had a chance to play the Analog Keys at NAMM I thought that the case and keys design was quite stunning. It didn’t seem as a weakness in design. This keyboard will be a unique device that stands out in your studio.

You’ll have the same amount of risk breaking off the joystick/modwheels or knobs on any other synth for that matter.

[/quote]
Agreed, the space under the keys shows it’s usefulness when the AKeys is placed on a KB stand as it allows you to see underneath so you can see say, another instrument that might be below it in a set-up.

Brilliant:)

[quote="“pmags”"]

Doesn’t use the PUSH encoders results in parameters jumps (values of +/- 10) instead of a smooth incremental transition? So the push encoders would defeat the idea of a smooth filter sweep.[/quote]
There is interpolation of some kind going on there, otherwise there would be zippering. It would be nice to use the larger knob for filter though. Maybe that can be a performance-mode mapping?

Doesn’t use the PUSH encoders results in parameters jumps (values of +/- 10) instead of a smooth incremental transition? So the push encoders would defeat the idea of a smooth filter sweep.[/quote]
There is interpolation of some kind going on there, otherwise there would be zippering. It would be nice to use the larger knob for filter though. Maybe that can be a performance-mode mapping?[/quote]
I would love for the big knob to function like a big jog wheel a la MPC. This surely can be done with a software update. It could just be an option so people who like the current functionality can keep it.

[quote="“pmags”"]

not sure why you would want do that anyway with a joystick at your disposal

I would venture to say that unless someone uses the gear all the time, they don’t bother learning all the shortcut keys…even I don’t have them all memorized on the OT and A4 :slight_smile:

not sure why you would want do that anyway with a joystick at your disposal [/quote]
That’s exactly what I was thinking… The joystick can do this and so much more. Why use just a plain filter sweep with performance mode and joystick available?
It seems like a case of trying to use Elektron gear with the mentality of just some random analog synth, when the digital controls and sequencer add so much as to make the two almost different instrument

There is interpolation of some kind going on there, otherwise there would be zippering. It would be nice to use the larger knob for filter though. Maybe that can be a performance-mode mapping?[/quote]
On the A4 it’s a bit weird how the interpolation kicks in. If you push turn the encoder you can get both stepped and smooth sweeps depending on how quickly you turn the encoder. It actually gives you three possible sweep types with just one encoder. Slow, fast and stepped. Brilliant really