Sonic state review of the Analog Keys

Basically elektron machines are not as easy to use as elektron fans like to think.

They are deep, but NOT easy to use unless you are already one of the initiated.[/quote]
I still don’t understand what people find difficult about them really. Especially with the A4: sculpt sound, place trigs or record them, done. Everything is right in front of you, or just 1 logical action away.
I guess it depends on your mindset if you click with it or not. You don’t have to be an elektron fanboy to find it easy to use, many of my friends with virtually no synth experience could make a beat on the machinedrum and a cheesy tune on the a4 within minutes. Even a 7 year old could make an entire cover on the A4 :)[/quote]
the only thing I found “difficult” (if you want to call it that) when starting to use some elektron gear was the structure of projects/banks/patterns/parts/etc…that really isn’t an elektron problem though, you would have to learn that on any machine…to me the OT structure actually made more sense than the A4 but once you learn that part it’s neither here nor there IMO[/quote]
I actually agree. With the OT I clicked with it pretty quickly but the A4 confused the hell out of me for like 2 hours before I was using it well.

everyone is entitled to their opinion here, AikiGhost included

as he posted he has owned a lot of Elektron gear so comments/likes/dislikes aren’t unfounded or anything

for what it’s worth, I’ve rolled my hand along the encoders like Nick did in that video, especially when changing multiple parameters at one time :slight_smile:

I actually agree. With the OT I clicked with it pretty quickly but the A4 confused the hell out of me for like 2 hours before I was using it well. [/quote]
Agreed, the OT makes perfect sense to me, the A4 still confuses me sometimes (I haven’t had it that long). I just want to save everything in a project like I do on the OT…sounds, kit, pattern, and all :slight_smile:

Yep, I own an A4 and Monomachine I use most sessions in my studio and Ill be putting in an order for the AR the day it gets announced (Presumably at musicmesse next week).
Of all the elektron machines the one I found least satisfying was the OT I found it harder to use than software for doing the same job and so it had to go.

It kinda shows Nick didn’t really take the time to get to know the machine, that being said he has recommended other people should by them on his podcast.

I’ve got all 4 main boxes (sadly the MD and MnM are soon to be sold :frowning: ) and I really don’t get some of the opinions.

Thinking back I didn’t use manuals all that much for the MD, a little for the MnM. I love the OT but some parts simply baffle me (Parts and scenes and full use of the x-fader other than simple parameter locking) and TBH the manual sucks for that.

I think there’s a reason why Elektron did all those OT videos. I love mine, but it’s not very intuitive for me

That being said I got the A4 recently and I’ve looked at the manual once, just to browse. This is what I don’t get about Nick’s review. I could understand if it was menu driven, but it’s really not. Every button is properly and sensibly labelled (only exception is the Poly config, but that might move with an OS update)

I thought the screen would be an issue, but for some reason I find it as easy or easier to read than the OT (maybe higher pixel density)

I think it was good that Elektron demonstrated the A4 on his show during their tour, was a great demo.

I actually agree. With the OT I clicked with it pretty quickly but the A4 confused the hell out of me for like 2 hours before I was using it well. [/quote]
Agreed, the OT makes perfect sense to me, the A4 still confuses me sometimes (I haven’t had it that long). I just want to save everything in a project like I do on the OT…sounds, kit, pattern, and all :)[/quote]

I hear you, but I’m glad they kept it the same way as they did with the MnM, gives added flexibility like changing kits onto other patterns so new sounds from same sequencing :slight_smile:

no theyre not!
man, if someone disagrees with you, just call em a troll, ridicule them a bit and move on… that will show them whos boss!

I liked the review but i thought some the criticisms were reaching a bit

Not to be flogging a dead horse here but Nick clearly states the two ways of using the encoders in coarse or fine mode.

There are 3 ways to use the encoders

For me Nick says it all at the end of the review “It sounds great” that is the reason I bought this synth.

I tried the A4 in a shop and the sound just raised my hairs … I enjoyed Nicks review but I think it’s not an easy synth to review - it takes time to discover this instrument …

Pretty fair review from Nick here I think, it’s nice sometimes to get an “outsider’s” view on these machines, true that they’re not as immediate as more conventional gear but I think that’s a necessary UI tradeoff in order to provide a lot of power through a simple interface.

For me the moment when he gives himself away as a “non-elektronaut” is when he says he’d be happy to take it without the sequencer :wink:

Actually, I would much prefer the A4 synth engine available totally decoupled from the sequencer and as a trade-off with absolutely no sequencer, more of a knob per function interface. Some people already have other great sequencers. My case, a Radikal Technologies Spectralis 1 and a Spectralis 2 and a Polymorph.
I could like the Elektron Sequencer if it had the versatility and abilities those have.
I loved Nick’s review. He was spot-on about many things. I also believe the screen on the AK should be at least akin to the MNM’s or OT and adjustable angle of LCD.

I love the AK because I’m getting away from a computer. The screen size is fine with me.

I think the screen size is like so many things that people quibble about over Elektron gear; once you get used to it, you hardly notice it. That said, while I’m fine with the size of the screen, an angle would have been appreciated if not absolutely necessary.

I think the screen size is like so many things that people quibble about over Elektron gear; once you get used to it, you hardly notice it. That said, while I’m fine with the size of the screen, an angle would have been appreciated if not absolutely necessary.[/quote]
Of course you hardly notice the screen, its so small you can hardly see it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Fact is, they went smaller than their previous gear and that in anyones language, is a backwards step. :dizzy_face:

I like small screens… there are way too many screens in my life… it is better for making my music to use as less screen as possible.

:+1: :+1: :+1:

:+1: :+1: :+1:
[/quote]
Same here :slight_smile:
One exception tough : Teenage Engineering OP-1 display is magnificent, and the way it is used is quite brilliant !