Spectrasonics Trillian.... what are your thoughts, still viable, better out there?

I’ve always stayed away from software when it comes to bass for the most part but if I were to broaden my horizons in this regard would Trillian be a good place to start or are there better recommendations out there… also is trillian good on it’s own or something that you only feel worth running through Omnisphere?

I don’t own Omnisphere, but Keyscape is one of my favorite VSTs of all time, and I’m not even all that much of keyboard player. I love all the quirky instruments in there. I loved it so much in fact that I bought Trillian, but I never really got into it. That probably says more about my state of mind at the time, as I think Spectrasonics is top tier when it comes to VSTs. Sorry I’m not more of a help, but I do recommend Keyscape, lol.

FWIW, I never felt myself missing the Omnisphere-Keyscape combo patches.

1 Like

I’ve got Trilian, Omni and Keyscape. I never use Trilian or Keyscape on their own, just through Omnisphere, as it’s got the most complete GUI out of the three. I find the synth a little old school in layout these days, but there isn’t much that can compete against it sound-wise. Just make sure you’ve got at least 100+gb of fast storage, preferably NVME SSD storage, as the samples for some single sounds are sometimes a few gb’s each, so fast hard drive and fast RAM is essential.

I have and love keyscape too, sample fodder for days… but I’m on the fence about droppin the bones on trillian,

2 Likes

I really don’t like the gui of Omnisphere but considering the sampling features it has I’ve always wondered if it was worth buying just to run keyscape through…

1 Like

I wondered the same thing about Keyscape-Omnisphere, but the patch examples I’ve heard all seemed a bit cheesy to me. YMMV.

I need to bust out Trillian again and give it another go. There is a ton of stuff in there, particularly synth stuff.

Are you looking for synth stuff or bass guitar/upright stuff?

synth stuff is always good but more so looking for organic acoustic and otherwise bass , or anything that could be construed as such, for mimicking bass guitar/ string bass , any other like instruments… for mangling and sampling

1 Like

The Upright in Trillian still may be the best one available.

I went with Ample Sound in the end because it’s pretty close and i already have IK Modo for the Electric basses : the physical modeling is good for my needs (and my storage)

For individual instruments, you might be able to find better options, but if you want a wide variety of options for sampling, Trillian probably has the most options I know of.

I guess that’s like Keyscape in a way. Probably more realistic pianos out there, but Keyscape gives you loads of different stuff you won’t find elsewhere.

1 Like

I use Trillian and love it. I’ve used Omnisphere before but Trillian was a must own for me. In terms of bass guitar and upright bass, it does so much and just sounds fantastic. It really filled a hole in my production for those instruments.

There are so many different players, styles, and instrument diversity in Trillian for bass guitar and upright bass, that it’s so easy to browse through a couple presets and start playing a riff that can influence ideas for a full production in no time.

Some riffs I’ve made in productions were completely influenced by how the samples in a Trillian preset behaved as I played them. They can just be magical sometimes. And if you’re not feeling one for the idea you’re working on, there are so many more to explore. Usually it doesn’t take very long of going through the many presets or instruments available until I find something that just works.

I also love the synth sounds in there. There are so many analog synth samples in it that it’s a synth powerhouse if you’re looking for an analog synth sound in the box. Great interface for them too.

Huge fan!

2 Likes

thanks haven’t heard that one, will check it out

1 Like

I love creating and sampling harmonics, and I’ve noticed that some of trillian videos I’ve heard lend themselves well to this …

this might be most important, it’s good to hear that as variety is definitely key

1 Like

I saw that Eric Persings recently implemented that little auto record feature, I haven’t even updated keyscape yet but that’s the kind of thing I love to see…and also pushing me towards trillian, cause if it’s like keyscape I’ll be noodling around on it all the time and would love to be able to capture those noodles lol…

but what is the deal with these GUI’s Mr. Persing , I can only imagine what kind of experience it would be if the Gui’s were up to par with the plugins themselves…

1 Like

It’s been quite a while, but when I was obsessed with upright bass samples, I found nothing close to Trillian. This thread made me a bit interested in seeing if that is still the case

I can’t recall trillian ever being on a Black Friday sale, I wonder if I just missed it or if they’ll be on sale for Christmas…?

This is pretty good too. For Kontakt.

1 Like

I’ve always had Omni, so couldn’t imagine using the Spectrasonics stuff without it.
I reckon v3 will be on the cards at some point soon, and a complete GUI revamp will most probably be in development, as they didn’t do a huge amount with the interface between v1 and v2, which got them a bit of grief from long term users and probably put many new customers off.

1 Like

I’m not sure if Spectrasonics have that many sales. Sometime retailers give discounts though.

…by far, not sooo many truu must have plugins out there…
…but spectrasonics omnisphere IS actually one of them…it’s almost hw pricing though, but still worth every penny, if u also or even exclusively work itb…

had way too many plugins in use over the years…regretted buying more than half of them…
but omnisphere always did great…especially whenever it came to this little glam hi end factor edge inbetween and on top of it all…many of it’s presets can be heard pretty much everywhere without standing out as some common preset…countless commercials and scores get their shiny details from spectrasonics…burning piano is even a sonic meme of it’s own…
in fact, dtone and omnisphere are the only sonic tools i dare to scroll through any endless preset lists…

here, u get that hi end gloss…and whenever it. might be too glossy, u can tame/morph that away easily…
while achieving that gloss needs truu hi end crafting, many struggle with forever…

don’t know about trillian in detail…but given the fact that spectrasonics is in the game since day one and are bullet proofed and top of the game since ever, it’s details are as convincing as omnisphere itself…

if u don’t have omnisphere yet, i hardly recommend getting it first, since it offers also in the bass section more than most others…and don’t be scared of preset sucking…it’s a full fledged sound design/synth workstation on it’s own…in accoustic flavours also as in artificial ones or all at once…

even if it looks a little outdated and does not come along with many frequent updates, it’s rare main updates are rocksolid since two decades and so is their custumer service…
timeless and well spended investment…promise.

2 Likes