Spotify is Apparently Creating Fake Artists

Super interesting article, thanks for sharing.

The world of royalty free catalogue music is already well established for advertising, hotels, etc

It’s kind of an obvious move that music for end users would head in that direction.

For extremely tight genre music like lo-fi chill hip hop it’s probably not that hard to create it with an AI and you could even have sliders to tailor it to your individual likes and dislikes.

I don’t think I’m gate keeping. Folk are free to listen to whatever they like

I wasn’t talking about self education to enjoy content (art?) but about self education to understand the system/substrate in which you exist

EDIT: and maybe the role of the consumption or content (art?) in maintaining it

But we should!

Otherwise phrased as ‘people hearing your music’, so yea, you do get it :slight_smile:

And that’s fine, but, as has been established, the majority of people using Spotify either ain’t gonna hear you (if you’re not in the right playlist) or probably wont notice if they do.

I think aot of people are lying to themselves about the usefulness of Spotify to their musical ambitions.

7 Likes

Whats that? :rofl:

3 Likes

Sounds like wishing to me…

1 Like

I was once getting a haircut at a basic chain haircut place, “great clips” or something, and closer by nin started playing and I’ll admit it felt pretty awkward.

4 Likes

Were you getting a no 1 cut at the time?

4 Likes

Haha but yea seriously. I think this is part of the misalignment maybe?

My ambitions are to make music and in an ideal world for someone to enjoy it. Spotify is an additional channel that helps me achieve that. When my boss asked to hear my music it was most convenient for him to get an Apple Music link. He bought an album. Swell!

But yea if your ambition is to make music your career then I wouldn’t focus on Spotify. I’ve made much more money through Patreon and I really need to get onto Bandcamp because that’s a great platform for indie artists I agree 100%.

But I have a day job this is just a hobby for me. But even if it were my job, I’d be keen to have my records in as many shops as possible.

4 Likes

Same here. I get that they want complete control of how their art is presented and experienced. But I don’t have a CD player anymore, my wife hates them, and I’m too busy to light candles and sit in a pentagram in a dark room for hours meditating over their vinyls. I need convenience of access.

5 Likes

I do them the honour of listening to them as whole albums, in order. They do deserve that respect tbf.

Edit: Putting on TOOL now

3 Likes

This is one of the things which gets my goat. When we used to buy physical media you could share the media, and not worry about the player. These days the media and the players are deeply linked, and different members of your audience have incompatible players due to DRM and licensing, not because of the data formats.

Yes, yes, I know Apple Music isn’t DRMd, but try sharing that link with an Android user.

(and… I should further expose my hypocrisy. I work in streaming media, so I’m helping drive this shitshow, for the money only. I rather enjoy some lock-in tactics: my Cioks PSU, my Apple iCloud stuff… This stuff is really complex and a mixed bag. There’s some upsides to system integration.)

There’s clearly some upsides. Good for you, and your boss.

4 Likes

He was probably just getting a favour in the bank but it was flattering none the less :laughing:

Yea I agree - I’ve come to terms with the pros/cons of streaming media on the most part but as with a lot of modern life something is both lost and gained in that convenience.

But if I gave someone a mixtape I wouldn’t be able to get any metrics on it… :robot:

1 Like

Can’t wait til they figure out flooding us with Indian podcasts

2 Likes

I think the intermediate step is a tiktok filter than converts your accent and internation to any Western variant.

That’s what the market wants to hear on a support call; a local voice, so you bet your arse they’re developing it.

Or the AI voices will achieve perfection first and cut the conscious meat out the performance altogether

Nothing is real any more https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/

1 Like

I clicked on it and got a picture of Karen that I was discussing earlier!

2 Likes

Funny how most people complain about capitalism only when it’s damaging them. Say yes to cheap crap and next-day delivery, nevermind the exploitation of the planet and its living beings, but get really offended when it gets to them and their profit.

Such dogshit. We deserve the worst.

9 Likes

Until one of them can ride a bike next to me talking with me about the human condition, things are still real.

I can’t believe I’m saying this here of all places, but maybe stay offline a bit more often is the best answer to this whole thread.

1 Like