Spotify is Apparently Creating Fake Artists

You mean talk to real people?

seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld

1 Like

1 Like

Why people use it for anything other than like the radio - a selection of “singles” and not their entire discography - is beyond me. Unless you’re one of the handful of artists getting everyone’s money.

Anyway. Join the cause, spread the word, use a different service, spend money on BC.

3 Likes

Could it be that those artist who do get everyone’s money put up their albums that everyone feels like they have to as well? Don’t have more reasoning beyond that, just wondering.

There are probably many reasons, including that. Moreover, Spotify’s market share forces everyone into playing by their rules.

The way I look at it is the music market as we’d known it was obliterated by file sharing. Naturally the money got to the remnants first and built a monstrosity. It’s going to require a long and tenacious effort to create something resembling fair.

1 Like

Like Pimps, and “Artists are the Hookers and the consumer is the Trick”. These people get it:

1 Like

This is the most frustrating thing when releasing music. If there’s any friction at all to listening to music (such as having to use a different player), even some people who genuinely care about music simply won’t do it. I much, much prefer Bandcamp, and people here will listen there, but outside of the kind of person who’s posting to a forum like this, I’ve found that almost nobody bothers because it’s one more step between them and music.

Re: not putting music on Spotify, Spotify has done a marvelous job at positioning itself as the music service, and it does a disservice to artists in general - but let’s be real, none of us have the power to change that through boycotts because the general public is still using it. Even Radiohead pulling out wouldn’t change much, they still get millions (billions?) of $ from subscriptions plus whatever they get from selling data.

Yup. People just dont care where things come from.

If they don’t care about how their purchases cause deforestation, pollution and human rights abuses, just that its cheap and fast, why would they give two shits about a musician?

Alot of people feel that no one is on their side and they need to get theirs before someone else does.

They’d download your music for free before caring about how Spotify treats you, and would sell it on if they felt they could do so without penalty.

Yes that’s an overly cynical position for the sake of emotive effect, but many people feel that it’s hard enough keeping their own head above water, let alone worrying about anyone or anything else.

5 Likes

It’s very true. But this dynamic has been around awhile eg Tower Records vs Reckless Records.

In my opinion, a concerted effort between artists, consumers and the govt definitely has the capacity to change things.

I wish I saw more artists speaking up. But I expect they’re scared into silence. It’s a weird environment right now. Like why tf is Fugazi on streaming? Shits weird.

3 Likes

Absolutely agreed. But it’s one of those things that only matters if millions of people get on board, outside of government intervention (which I’m all for). I hadn’t heard about Tlaib’s resolution, that’s a step in the right direction.

1 Like

… this is one of the saddest things i have ever read …

6 Likes

I had half my CDs stolen a couple of years ago, many that I bought in my teens and early twenties. Quite a lot of discs.

I didn’t turn to streaming, I bought all them all back again. Found out what releases some of my old faves had done since and added to my collection.

Then I bought a HiRes Walkman and transfered everything over to FLAC.

Now I have a lovely device to feed, one that encourages me to buy new music, that requires no connection and doesn’t drain my phone.

There’s always the other side of the coin.

4 Likes

Karen is a sellout! I am not hanging out with her anymore.

Does anyone have her sisters number? I heard she still listens to CD’s.

3 Likes

Sharon still listens to MiniDisc!

4 Likes

Damnit, that means she’s out of my league!

1 Like

She’s also sitting on a small fortune these days!

2 Likes

Fucking Sharon. I should’ve gave it a shot when she was still trading cassette’s.

3 Likes

Everyone wants to swap spit and mix tapes with Sharon.

3 Likes

Wait a minute, My twin sisters are named Sharon and Karen. I had no idea!

1 Like

It happens. I have been shazammed in some interesting locations around the world and I have to assume it’s places like those streaming house music playlists.