Spotify is Apparently Creating Fake Artists

WOW. Did not expect such a reaction! I sat there all day yesterday waiting for a reply, and it wasn’t until waking up the next morning to see this massive conversation take place. Once again…

I really want to respond to everyone, but you all seemed to hit every plausible thought on the head, and written much more concisely than I could have dreamed to in such a short span. So many excellent viewpoints to understand both sides of the coin, and actually after posting I started to think how from a business standpoint, as much as I hate to admit it, Spotify’s model makes total sense, for them. Same game, different players, or same game, same players, different name. :man_shrugging:

I’m in my early 30s now :face_with_head_bandage: and have always enjoyed the experience of playing records. Luckily, I had two DJ uncles on opposite sides of the family (one in LA and one in Turkey) that helped me to form an early concept of US/EU music market differences. We rarely got the hot euro tracks out here unless you somehow knew a DJ (obviously, they weren’t giving up the secret stash, either).

Even the Warner record label had an insert back in the day titled “Loss Leaders” and encouraged people to buy those albums. And, I highly recommend reading that small print up top towards the end about if their accountants ran the company they would charge much more per album. Aged like milk.

HOW DARE YOU. :shushing_face: Actually, it wasn’t until I started to sample records (still meh at it) that I understood how layered the free jazz stuff was. Also, kind of viewed free jazz as a middle-finger to the labels, sort of like an early punk movement at that time (which I’m assuming be-bop filled that role prior to that). Recently, I started to develop a theory when I noticed a trend of the massively talented musicians being just small time features (if lucky)/ session players on an album with no credit whatsoever for making iconic basslines, drum grooves, playing things with improper tuning, etc, Namely one of my favorite jazz guys, Chic Corea, R.I.P. I used to believe these people were very wealthy (blame naivety) only to find out later in life that they are just living regular lives, and more often than not are poor, despite the massive influence they had in people’s lives. I would feel like a second-hand robbed feeling for them if that makes sense.

Unfortunately, I’ve been having this feeling too lately, and I think it’s an unavoidable one for artists of all sorts. But, it’s also one of those mind rotting thoughts that should be avoided as best as possible, which obviously is easier said then done. Here’s one of my favorite quotes from Chic Corea that was on an old record sleeve: “Don’t let the crazies in the world stop your beautiful creative process.” I think that if we as artists are creating from a pure foundation, then those gross thought should just remain ignored, and we carry on our mission that we set out on long ago to search for those rare tones and combinations.

All in all, my main gripe with Spotify is that the rapid rate of technology advancing is causing the machine to eat, spit, chew up artists at a quicker rate and artists aren’t getting the same shine, or comfort to produce for that matter because the incentive to create is not what it used to be. This is hypocritical on my part though, as something like Spotify was a dream back in the day that couldn’t come sooner (I don’t use it by the way I like having hard copies). Might also just be that we’re all collectively as musicians much more aware of what is happening among the industry right now. Or, admittedly, I’m getting older. What’s my age again? :older_man: I seriously love this forum (wish the old MPC forums were this deep). It’s nice to have a place with like-minded people with similar/opposing viewpoints that can be thoughtfully discussed, and would still be down to share some beers. :beers:

8 Likes

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I actually don’t hate jazz - it’s just such an easy target…

6 Likes

Haha I totally got that man and it was tastefully excecuted, just love dropping a good how dare you from time to time :beers:

3 Likes

Looks like we got us a listener here!

I blame that (still sort of funny, it’s true) sketch for a lot of the blind dislike of jazz in the world… go to New Orleans for instance and you’ll find living jazz that’s proper dance music for the masses, not just the elites (of which there are also many, and connoisseurs [I’m not one] hopping from bar to bar, as it happens).

2 Likes

Yeah man we used to have a lot of cool hole in the wall jazz places here in LA that were actually fun, but eventually closed down. It would be fun to check out New Orleans, the food alone looks like it’s worth the trip.

3 Likes

Whatever Johnny, seen :rofl:

Next you’ll be telling us about your shattered dreams, how you wish you could turn back the clock, your heart of gold, how you don’t want to be a hero, and be wanting to change my mind tonight.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks

Johnny Hates Jazz | Spotify

1 Like

Someone’s dancing in the background. That’s not right!!

4 Likes

Metaculture is fine, i definitely enjoyed MST3000, though i’ve gotten a little tired of Rifftrax. I watched a few Let’s Plays early on. TikTok the spouse watches. Duets between musicians can be great! Much of the “content” seems to be people pretending to watch something for the first time and just pointing offscreen to agree with it.

2 Likes

…well, tiktok is the final challenge, how to shrink the average attention span of the actual generation down to finally equal the average attention span of the common goldfish…

at least, in the 1st world western generation…those lost in translation youngsters of that golden billion, mr. bad boy p loves to call all this life we’re living for now…not tomorrow.

1 Like

I mean, that just sounds fun.

Right now I am pretty hungover. I feel like I got Shazammed last night!

3 Likes

In a matter of moments, you effortlessly described a majority of my vice induced conversations in public… ****. :cold_sweat:

I’m blaming Octatrack.

1 Like

I agree with Rusty… if someone doesn’t want/like something, they have the ability and choice to not consume it.

Even if something is pushed on someone by marketing, they still have to make a decision, and that’s 100% on the person.

Marketing is simply trying to make them choose in their favour. It all ends in a choice by the consumer.

If you believe so… If you know just a little of the psychology behind marketing then this statement can’t be more false really.

4 Likes

Disagree. Marketing can definitely sway the user’s decision. But, the decision is still done by the consumer. You don’t see Elektron physically taking my wallet and using my credit card, do you ?

That’s like saying you have 50% to win the lottery. Either you win or you don’t.

It’s fairly easy to influence a person’s decision. This is why there’s good and bad salesmen. This is also why some people get ripped off online. Is it their choice to get ripped off? Did they made that decision with all the information needed to make it?

It’s just not as simple as saying “it’s 100% someone’s choice”. It completely ignores the fact that people can be persuaded quite easily and a lot of factors are at play that people often don’t realize that influence that decision. Saying that is nonsense is basically saying psychology is nonsense :man_shrugging:t3:

Anyway, probably best to agree to disagree then :wink:

6 Likes

Your illusion of choice is your own.

3 Likes

Do you know what way more interesting than this conversation?

PERKONS.

5 Likes

2027bf02ac914186f43260816a340095

4 Likes

We are not discussing the lottery.

Agreed, it is, depending on the person, ‘easy’ (not quite sure how you arrived at that) to influence someone’s decision. I’m not disagreeing with you on that point.

BUT… that person still makes the decision, regardless if it results in them getting ripped off. That’s their responsibility. If the salesmen is trying to sell them a rusted car that doesn’t run, and they decide to buy it, then obviously they chose to do so, and must have found some reason to like it enough to warrant that decision.

Do not put words in my mouth. I’m not arguing psychology, not saying it’s nonsense, etc. Not sure why you’re so adamant about that.

I decide to get up in the morning. I decide to pay my bills. I decide to eat shitty Mc donald’s food. I decide to drink and drive. It’s a CHOICE at every step of the way, regardless of influence. That’s all I’m saying. You can’t argue that we are responsible for our own decisions, regardless of how that decision has been manipulated.

Idk why but this sounds like a great album/song title.

Thermionic - Illusion of Choice (is your own)

1 Like