Spotify is Apparently Creating Fake Artists

The G never ceases to amaze

1 Like

You’re not wrong, but they still have samples :innocent:

When I was working as a watch repairman, I met, and befriended an older gentleman who was a session musician back in the day. Back in his day this talented musician used to be an piano/organ salesman (he played upright bass). Dude went to 'Nam, was a comedian, and opened his own flower shop with his wife. Anyways, the man used to say that he hated working as a session musician because the executive producers would always want them to stay on script and never deviate from it, and he told me a story of the one time that he got lucky and just kept noodling after the recording stopped. Apparently, the exec was pissed at first, but ultimately, they chose to keep that noodle jam in the track.

So, blame the execs that want tight, bass-less watered down boring stuff, not JAZZ. Real jazz is early hip-hop/punk (obviously kids took from their elders and just rebranded it), and that was the foundation I think that allowed all the other genres to freely express themselves.

Obligatory

3 Likes

Yes! The said non-human algorithms is quite OK, but not good enough to make real jazz and also fail to make real rock and pop hit, thus smooth jazz. :laughing:

1 Like

Haven’t we all lost some sort of entertainment from our youth? Nothing that doesn’t already happen.

1 Like

Would love to hear a bit more elaboration on this if you haven’t already. I love hearing about the inner workings of spaces I haven’t worked in.

2 Likes

It’s all pretty obvious stuff, but it gets pretty psychological. Like how all the stuff that has the biggest margin will be at eye level. Some places even light up their displays now, and guess which products are being lit up?

And if you only want to go in for the essentials, like milk, bread etc., you’ll probably have to walk the length of the shop, past all those colourful, well lit displays of shiny shit your brain suddenly wants you to buy.

Even stuff like the music that’s playing is done in such a way as to try and put people in the right mood to buy more shit.

I dunno, it all sounds pretty minor when you write it down, but when you see the people running the store talking about it, it just feels creepy as fuck.

4 Likes

Thanks for the insight. While it is sort of known, I wouldn’t say it’s so obvious unless you remember to think about it. I think I remember it being said they also don’t have clocks up generally so you lose track of time and hopefully spend more. Now that you mention it my local supermarkets have all the meat and eggs in the back so I definitely see that. Regarding the music I don’t know what the impetus is but “Shop Rites” in my area constantly play pro America songs over and over again. Every time I walk in it’s usually “And I’m proud to bee an Americaaaan”. I imagine it drives the employees nuts to hear it all day every day. We have a radio station for the office people at my job that plays the SAME music everyday just slightly rearranged. Drove me bonkers until I finally got out of that area of the office.

2 Likes

Being a Marxist in a capitalist world is no fun…

3 Likes

There is principle in business where a company will have what is referred to as a loss leader. The loss leader is usually a product that is known to sell well, and attract customers, being sold at a heavily discounted cost and placed strategically in an area that will nudge the consumer into seeing things that they may want to purchase, but not necessarily need. The profit/cost of the goods that aren’t essential will offset/cover the profit loss from the loss leader category.

For instance, in the US we have a very large membership-chain called Costco that sells rotisserie chickens, and they’re actually delicious compared to the market rotisserie chickens, but that acts as one of their main loss leaders, amongst several others. The chickens are stocked all the way in the back of a giant warehouse, however, on the complete opposite end of the registers. People will go to Costco (I know this from observing family growing up) and leave with a basket full of things they’ll probably eat/wear/use maybe a handful of times before ultimately throwing the product away. Costco perfected this model years ago, and even make money from a regular/business membership fee, along with stocking fees charged to the companies displaying product on their shelf, so they’re almost always winning. Meanwhile, the consumer is seemingly getting a deal on food essentials, and styles of pants/clothes no one realistically wants to wear because they’re uncomfortable, but it’s branded, cheaper than anywhere else (again, seemingly, no one’s going to price check unless they’re broke), and all the products are under one roof, which presents the illusion of convenience to the consumer. It’s actually a genius business model, but sucks when you realize these things and wanted to live out a pipe-dream by tapping into a store like Costco with the wants of selling your own special sauce in order to mass market to consumers in all of their stores. :upside_down_face: Sort of like subscription services and music, perhaps? Dare I mention Costco’s own umbrella company Kirkland that gets all the attention for creating unique new snacks/products, when it’s another manufacturer just allowing the Kirkland logo to be labeled on their product.

3 Likes

Until that Capitalist world collapses, then we can all stand around saying “told you so”.

4 Likes

I’ve been holding that drink for nearly 40 years waiting for that moment…ay, soon comrade soon…

3 Likes

Unless you’ve got family money, at least.

1 Like
1 Like

one word:

Passive income.

:joy:

1 Like

Not gonna happen to you since you can’t count.

1 Like

at least Costco pays their employees better than Walmart or Amazon…

2 Likes

:rofl: Freedom of choice is relative, at least in western democracies, to suggest that for example musicians have no choice to be on spotify, if they want to be heard of is total bollocks. On the other hand try choosing not to pay your tax.

Choices have consequences for sure, but to disavow ones freedom of choice and submit to “the inevitable” isn’t living, its servitude.

2 Likes

:rofl:

You mean the governments that have shares/interests in those companies? The companies that give these governments money?

You have more faith than I.

But, yes they will be seen to limit growth etc, but it will be the same old routine, moving money around behind closed doors.

Anyway, what people get mixed up is free market capitalism, and crony capitalism/corporatism which is a feature, not a bug, of globalism.

2 Likes

EU is already doing that or at least trying to, so no idea why the laugh out loud smiley is appropriate here :wink:

1 Like

I’m just being cynical Dave, not laughing at you :+1:

2 Likes