Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

They added quite a few types of conditional trigs compared to the Elektron sequencer and you can also apply chance per step too so you can set: play 2/3 33% of the time.

One thing I wished they copied from Elektron is the way you can set LFOs: free, trig, hold, half… and well… the p-lock system ; )

Compared to the Pyramid, the HAPAX is missing one feature I could have found useful: MIDI files import and compared to the Hermod, there’s no glide/smooth FX which is useful for CVs but that could be added in an update I guess.

Edit: been watching this thread from my phone and I don’t know why, it didn’t load a shit load of comments… I was thinking, damn, this is very quiet and why people are talking about the product without even mentioning the product page. My computer gave me the answer haha…

4 Likes

does the Hapax have Midi file export?

i’m assuming no cuz of import lacking.

haven’t been able to fully check out the manual yet.

edit: briefly viewed the manual (mobile) and it doesn’t seem to mention any. import or export.

nice can’t wait

1 Like

question:
knowing Squarps prior products, you think their Hapax chord generator will be anywhere close to the level of NDLR?

didn’t see anything related to exporting MIDI.
I think it’s more like the Hermod on that side. You can only save/load internal projects.
I guess you can deal with that the hard way by recording from or to the HAPAX. it’s MIDI after all, we could set the BPM to the maximum while recording (and speed up the process).

One interesting note: the Hapax needs 15v⎓ (compared to the quite modest 5v of the Pyramid). We won’t be powering it off laptops or battery packs. I wonder what heat will be like as well?

MyVolts have a 15V Ripcord which can connect to any USB power outlet (laptop, power bank).

2 Likes

Well crud, I thought I was done with more hardware sequencers and I was just going to do everything with my pyramid and daw until my circklon order came up sometime in the next few years… I. Guess. Not.

2 Likes

I ordered one this morning, seems like the perfect combination of the midi sequencing elements of the deluge and pyramid.

I wonder if Squarp’s “in stock” means in stock and ready to ship today or just a pre-order list.

3 Likes

This sequencer is definitely on my radar. It checks several boxes that I hoped would be eventually fulfilled by the Pioneer DJ SQUID.

Well it says in stock and ships immediately so I ordered one and have my fingers crossed. Kind of sad that other companies have bungled releases and/or have had so many problems with production that we don’t even believe that something can even be in stock anymore lol. If this thing ships out tomorrow it will be a nice little taste of the good ol’ days.

3 Likes

Haha, yes exactly :slight_smile:

Ordered. New car today, New sequencer!

3 Likes

Love my Pyramid… this looks great. On the wish list

You can set the BPM (and pattern lengths) to be on a per-pattern rather than per-project basis, so essentially each pattern, and therefore each bank, can adhere to a different set of bpm/pattern rules. Thats what i do with my OT, makes working across mulitple songs in one project very easy.

So I don’t know if anyone else noticed this in the pricing but it’s left me confused image

€864.00 is the price ‘Tax excluded’, which then explains itself as ‘619€ is the pre-tax price’. That’s a 30% difference in price and it seems like it’s saying its the same thing.

Do you think they changed the price and forgot to update this copy or am I being a complete idiot?

EDIT: 619 is the pre-tax price of the Pyramid, I assume this is a copy paste mistake with this smallprint :slight_smile:

2 Likes

calm down haha, it doesnt play samples :wink:

lets see who’s first with testing this baby!
it seems like a nice crossbreed between deluge and pyramid, and a good brain for a setup with many hardware synths.

However, it does not play samples like the OT, or DT, or deluge, so its not a songmaker on its own. better to compare it to torso T1 and oxi and NDLR.

What I like of the T-1 and NDLR is the ability to ‘create’ creative sequences. I’m curious to see how the hapax with its chordmode and randomizer holds up to this.

thought this was that new Polyend thing for a sec there lol. I don’t have any need for a standalone sequencer thingie. gimme samples and inst. modular peeps will love this tho. just for a moment I dreamed of a new rack format, and companies started releasing little 1 ru half rack versions of their hardware synths, for control by stuff like this

2 Likes

Can’t find out if it will load my Pyramid projects. That are a lot of pads. I’m really in for a more comprehensive sequencer, but I hardly use the pads on the Pyra. It looks great and I can see the UI and workflow will be much more smooth…

the randomizer seems to be pretty similar to the Hermod randomizer. And I use it a lot.
But you can go crazy with the FX too: Euclid > Random > Harmonizer > Arp > Chance > Scale and modulate the Euclid/Chance parameters to get something evolving or trigger the randomizer (never tried to go that far though but now I need to try haha)…
Throw Hapax chordmode in the mix…

I really wish Elektron is going to import this FX concept in their next box.

2 Likes