Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

Can someone give a quick generic breakdown of how one sets up and configures a master sequencer like this for communicating with synths/drum machines/etc? I assume you set up something like a profile for each device to cover all the midi CC messages - which is basically set and forget? or does it tend to be become a configuration pain-in-the-butt that you have to keep coming back to over and over? Is it much much better to have a central brain vs. using the built-in sequencers of synced devices (when available?)

(Also, can I sequence an OP-1 with this thing by jamming the USB cable into it? : ) been doing this for 20 years and I still feel like such a newb. )

On the pyramid you save a list of cc parameters for a given instrument as a defiiniton file, and then you load that in as and when you have that instrument is connected (iirc). I would imagine its the same approach with this

3 Likes

While HAPAX won’t support Pyramid definition files, we do have plans to include something very similar, but better :wink:

It has not made it to hapaxOs 1.0 because we wanted to polish it a bit more, but it will be released ASAP. We got a lot of feedback on Pyramid definition files, and we want to get this right, this time around.

Cheers,
Thibault

from their forum

Edit: as pointed by @thetechnobear it’s about the definition files not the projects themselves. so it’s not answering your question.

4 Likes

just to be clear… the above quote is referring to Defintion files NOT pyramid projects.
hapax uses a different project format, and there has been no statement on any kind of import option.

as above, definitions files are the ability to map CCs (and Notes) to ‘labels’ , and things like midi channel/port … so yeah, it’s a good way to be able to recall your instruments setups.

I suspect the main ‘improvement’ they will make is, that on the Pyramid it was a bit rigid, particularly it didn’t support multi timbral synths (so multi channel midi) well - that was the main feature users wanted added… but was not possible for the pyramid.

also, lets remember…
this is brand new v1 firmware on a brand new product for Squarp.
on past products, Squarp have added features to firmware other the months/years… e.g. looper/pattern was added to pyramid AFTER release.
and the manual already indicates that a few features will be expanded on (e.g. algos/mpe)

of course, Im not saying you should buy a product based on promised features…
but, Id say this is the ‘start of a journey’ for the Hapax.

3 Likes

oh my bad!

no worries, its early days … all will become a lot clearer over next few days.

as for possible pyramid import, Id be surprised if they add this.
however, the pyramid stores its track data as midi , so perhaps they might add midi import/export to hapax… but of course, thats speculation !

There’s one thing The Internet might not help… is that when googling about the Hermod, you arrive on one of the Squarp forum thread where they say they’re not going to add any new features (it was at a very early stage I think and some people were kinda…) but in fact… they did and quite a lot but people reading this thread might stop here (I read this very thread before buying mine but did check the updates before making up my mind ; ) )

Hapax seems quite feature rich already anyway.

this is quoted from their product page;

"Evolving firmware.

The Hapax Operating System has been written with extra care, prioritizing stable and fast operations. New features and parameters will be added regularly."

maybe theres hope for sample playback with an update.

Exactly! I love the Deluge and Pyramid but both have some shortcomings…

This seems to have all the good stuff of both! Have been asking for such a device for years, so I ordered one! So I guess we will find out what “in stock” means in a few days :slight_smile:

1 Like

true, but in all fairness deluge also offers something this thing doesnt, it samples, and is a synth.

I think I’ll miss the Pyramid’s touchpad. Not to draw automation — that was cool but it looks like the Hapax has more precise ways to handle it — just as a fluid way to bind to MOD and some CC while trying to make a thing work in live mode. Maybe this will be less of a thing if I keep an MPE controller in the loop, and there’s obviously no space for it, but pour one out.

Yes but to me the sequencer was its strongest point and the only reason I got it back then.

I rather have knobs than a touchpad so very happy with their decision

4 Likes

sadly I think it’s not interesting to own it if you have elektron sequencers

Really? I like the idea of seeing multiple lanes of midi data vs. digitakt’s one-at-a-time….

5 Likes

How exactly? There is no audio out.

Output
4× midi out (3× DIN + TRS)
4× CV out [-5V to +5V] (16bit)
4× GATE out [+5V]

It’s a midi/cv sequencer. This is the successor of the pyramid and I don’t think it will ever be a sampler. And I’m glad, because I prefer gears focused around one concept more than gears that try to do everything and are full of limitations.

8 Likes

but tho you waste money buying an elektron sequencer
if you do not use it, and elektron has conditional, plockable things.

no chord inversion :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

This is going to be the cirklon direct rival. If you buy an hapax you don’t need a sampler and a synth inside it but a brain for your existing setup and as a midi/cv sequencer this outperform the deluge.

2 Likes

it depends on the music you make and on what elektron you own.

Digitone, digitakt, a4? no midi arp
Octatrack? good luck sequencing polyphonic gears

Midi implementation of elektron gear is rather basic and trivial compared to this.

1 Like