Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

It might be a cirklon rival, but still the number of ins & outs is on the sober side… I hate my Pyra to have only one (non-usb) input, so 2 is a lot better. But only 4 outs and no option for way more USB hosts than just the one is meh…

can even play chord on DT with a smart cable, even on the MD with a midi processing patch…
this machine looks nice, but I dunno, for me the buy trigger could be really interesting midi fxs…
For me midi FXs should be : note echo, note delay and fun things.

here it is not exciting or efficient as a little m4l or ableton free midi tools/seqs

Does anyone know what the dimensions of the Hapax are? I wonder how big it is.

1 Like

any UK-based pre-order-ers able and willing to share final price post-tax and shipping?

Dimensions

358 × 206 × 48 mm

Weight

1.855 kg

5 Likes

Nothing is more efficient than Ableton and m4l, but we have to compare hapax to other hardware midi sequencers and in this field hapax is one of the best.

You were talking about elektron midi sequencer compared to hapax, not about a workaround to play chord on the digitakt.

Digitakt can’t play sequences in different directions, it doesn’t have an euclidean pattern generator, nor a midi mod matrix or an arpeggiator. Elektron sequencers don’t have an harmonizer or a randomizer. You have conditional trigs, but no chance operation on note events. (you can fake something like this with the octatrack lfo on midi arp, but it’s not exactly the same)
Elektron sequencers have limited polyphony and 64 step. They are not really comparable.

That’s why I think hapax is interesting even if you have elektron sequencers. ymmv

6 Likes

Hermod/Pyramid and Hapax sequencers main diff for me is: true polyphony and… it’s just not a Step sequencer. I can play the piano (and I suck at it) and it will record my performance as is (which means it sucks but it stays true to the original!).

Then the other huge plus: FX.
I can set swing on a per track basis.
can use the Euclidean FX, the randomizer (not an FX), the scale…

Elektron sequencer’s p-lock and LFOs settings are a huge plus. Basically, we need both ; )

2 Likes

thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

That’s why I’m getting a Tesla Trax sequencer instead. It has a synth AND a car included :slight_smile:

In all seriousness though, this thing looks great and has enough in the OS now to sell me, plus the confidence in Squarp’s track record of continuing to develop their OS’s. Cirklon can definitely do more, like cross track aux events, but (1) I’m not sure I’m up for the Cirlkon learning curve even when my waiting list time finally comes up and (2) just because some software feature isn’t there now doesn’t mean it won’t be later.

Unlimited automation lanes will be incredibly useful and the dual project concept seems like it has a ton of creative potential even in the studio

I’m excited about this one

1 Like

Yep, thinking much the same: LPP3, Tracker, BB, SQ-64 might all get replaced by this.

1 Like

I think the price do not worse it when you have an elektron setup anyway.

I’m guessing they’ll be first or third party software to read/write the project files off the SD card eventually.

1 Like

Is your approach along the lines that AdamJay posted here?

Yes, pretty much. Tho i doubt i have 64 songs in me so would never hit full capacity…! Atm i’m putting together a set for a gig in a few months time and i want everything to be in one place/project, as one seamless play from start to finish (rather than stopping, swapping to new project etc). Doing it this way (with each bank containing a song, with parts providing the variations and with the ability to set different bpms and pattern lengths on a by-pattern basis,) is the best way forward, if a little complicated when it gets to re-ordering patterns, banks etc. The ability to load up a project in the background while playing another one, as the Hapax appears to be able to do, sounds absolutely ace

1 Like

No way. These two sequencers are so differents. Cirklon has no equivalent.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying.

For my set, I’ll probably use both my MC-101 and M8 Tracker, trading off between devices for song playback.

Definitely not ruling out exploring the ideas you guys mention for the OT.

1 Like

Polyend Seq is currently 1200$ and seems pricey now that this is out.

what advantages would the Seq have over the Hapax to justify the price point?

Wood

6 Likes

I just got a shipping notification, so seems like they were indeed ready to ship.

3 Likes

If people are going to elect not to buy the cirklon they were going to buy, and buy this instead, then they are direct rivals from a business perspective. I can only speak for myself that they are direct rivals from that perspective even if their capabilities are not identical.

1 Like