Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

I like this better than Oxi-One… maybe I will wait to see more videos showcasing it in action. Since it has no synth engine, audio input or sampling capabilities, the Deluge is still better as an overall AIO device. Hapax needs external power source, lots of cables and makes no sound of it’s own. The two screens lends to a potential to do DJ style mixing, think SP-404 MKII DJ mode on steroids.

Understand what you mean, now.
No offense.
For me direct rival was about two points : the price and abilities of the gear.
The fact that it’s another choice on the sequencer market makes it rival with all sequencers, not only Cirklon.

1 Like

One thing to consider, gate output is only 5v so good for Eurorack but not for the Arp 2600 for example. (the Oxi support 5-10 v)

2 Likes

yeah if you have an all elektron setup you don’t need it

1 Like

That price tag…ouch

This kind of feels like saying “If you have an A4, you don’t need a keyboard because it’s got the mini-keys on there.” Like, sure. They technically do the same thing. For certain music they may be all I need. And I much rather have them than not.

But a full keyboard can do a lot of things the chiclets can’t — and the A4 takes advantage of all of it. Connecting a keyboard expands the capabilities of the A4.

Same thing with the sequencer. The :3lektron: sequencer is amazing and for some music it’s all I need. And I can’t even imagine not having it; it’s integral to these synths.

But there’s a lot that it doesn’t do. And if I’m interested in any of that, connecting an external sequencer works just fine and electron boxes take advantage of it. It expands the capabilities of those boxes.

5 Likes

Oooh this is VERY interesting to me. My Octatrack is mainly a glorified MIDI sequencer nowadays, and my Push 2 is a glorified 64 pad controller (that annoyingly has to go through Ableton, with its awful MIDI routing). This could maybe replace both, as well as free up the bits of my modular that turn Octa sequences into CV. The freely drawn automation looks like the Octa’s custom LFOs on steroids (with CV recording! My old ‘record a pedal knob wiggle via Planar 2 + MIDI to CV conversion’ trick may get retired!) and it looks like you can in principle have 8 MIDI LFOs per track! BPM elasticity sounds reallllly cool as well. Trying to dig into the manual to see if I’ve understood the per pattern/track stuff correctly - I’m really hoping you can progress one track through different patterns while the other tracks stay on the same pattern, which is something I’ve always wanted for my workflow. Seems like even if you can’t do it directly, simultaneous projects may allow you to hack your way to it. Colour me impressed!

2 Likes

5 years ago maybe. Today apart from intertrack events, you can do a lot of what cirklon does with other sequencers both (eurorack and hardware) in a more user friendly manner (vector sequencer, black sequencer, oxi one, pyramid). Already the pyramid offered something that the Cirklon didn’t both in capabilities and ux.

1 Like

I have been on the cirklon waiting list for years and expect it to be years more. When the pyramid came out I was almost going to pass on the cirklon, and now with this I am for sure going to pass on it. Times change and there are going to be many new sequencers coming out between now and years from now. Cirklon is too slow to respond to the evolving market, just the way it is I guess. I mean, this is a MPE hardware sequencer, not sure I am going to be able to go back to anything else once I experience that.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree with you. I meant that considered the limited cirklon availability, this is likely the first choice if someone wants a first class hardware sequencer.

2 Likes

I know Pyramid, well, i was on the first batch. No way to compare it with Cirklon.
Cirklon is a kind of Mistermind kind of “construct your own algorythm” with Auxes.
The main point i agree is about friendly manner.
Black sequencer is less far powerful. Futhermore, globaly, the sequencers on Eurorack are not always very friendly when it comes to makes complex things. The one that retain my attention is ER 301 from Orthogonal Device, because of it’s meticulous precision.
Now i gonna see vector that i don’t know (except the Dispicable me one🤣)

2 Likes

I own a Vector and is probably the closest thing to a Cirklon with more cv inputs (it can do some cool things like free gate or some crazy time signature modulations per step, that I’m not sure you can do with the cirklon) but of course it’s limited in many ways.

I also own an intellijel metropolix, incredibly deep and immediate, it has an accumulator inspired by the cirklon and 8 internal mod lanes.
The things you can do in 15 seconds with that sequencer are impossible to do with others, but that’s another story, because it’s a specialized sequencer.

3 Likes

Hi all! So I used to do some hardware sequencing, but since I switched to doing a lot of stuff ITB I have pretty much done all sequencing on my laptop. But this sequencer looks soooo nice I am thinking about getting back into hardware sequencing lol.

A question for all of you though: how do you integrate your hardware sequencer into your setup if you also use a daw for the majority of your production? What is your workflow like?

Metropolix was on my wishlist for long period. But i finaly didn’t bought it. Nice and immediat one. But, i decided to not use screen in my case. That was my orthodox way of euroracking.
Because i had the Cirklon before going modular, i kept it and slowly used it with modular, that permit to not bought to much sequencers, that are my main concern in electronic music.
René 2 was also on my wishlist. But sometimes we must make choice…

I did wish it would go up to 8v because the Morphagene Organize uses 0v-8v… Of course, -10v-10v would be even better (as we can set the min/max value anyway). I guess an offset module can solve this problem.

till you want to play a 5-note chord or have an 8 bar sequence…

6 Likes

I have the same philosophy in eurorack but you can use the metropolix easily without watching the screen and it’s there just to use the accumulator, cv lanes and the menu is 1 page deep, no menu diving, one button click away for everything you need.

Back in topic 0-5v gate could indeed be an issue not only with korg but also in eurorack. Verbos amp and tone expect 10v

1 Like

or strummed piano chords with different length…

1 Like

I feel you, but usually you don’t buy elektron gears to play 5 note chords :stuck_out_tongue: (you can with digitone though)

The issue here is that when you sequence elektron gers externally you lose the main thing that makes them special: p-locks.